Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 hours ago, Muriel said:

I think that the most obvious replacement for Gerrard would be Kasper Hjulmand.

He probably will not be Denmark manager after the World Cup, and will be looking to take a job at a club instead. He has worked together with Lange for many years, and I think Lange respects him very much.

In my opinion (as a Dane) he has every attribute to become a top coach. He is modern leader who speaks incredibly well, and a person that everyone likes. Furthermore, he has shown himself to be tactically great, and getting very much out of the current Denmark squad. He is a man with very clear ideas of how he wants to play (something we are missing). However, he has also shown that he can change games though being very tactically flexible (changing from back 5 to back 4 and the other way around multiple times a game for example.)

However, it will also be Lange putting himself on the line, since if it does not work out he might be going with him.

That, at least, would be my pick.

No more gambles for me. If gerrards gone by xmas i want someone proven like poch rodgers etc.

Gerrards been a massive gamble and so far it hasnt paid off

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but is he really the manager to take Villa to the next level or a huge risk? Definitely leans to the latter.

Just read his profile, not exactly impressed.  Only coached outside of Scandinavia once where he was sacked quite quickly at Mainz. His winning % isn’t great either and now recently with Denmark it looks better in his 32 games but I don’t know who they are against.  His club record is average at best.  I don’t think he’s got a chance of the Villa job on paper.

I think that is completely fair. All of his time in the Danish league has been hugely succesful, so if the points are not impressing you I think that is due to the fact, that he did not manage the top teams like Copenhagen and Midtjylland who will always be the favorite for the title. He managed to win the league and play Champions League with Nordsjælland, which was just ridiculously well done. I do agree that you can put a question mark over his time in Germany, but it is more than 7 years ago, so I would not hold that too much against him. 

I completely understand the scepticism if you base it on a quick Wikipedia scan (nothing wrong with that - you can of course not be expected to watch Danish football).

But I think when you watch his teams play (and lets not forget we are talking about a Euros semi finalist and top of Nations League), you can just see how brilliantly coached that team is. A team that player for player is probably on the same level as Villa, so it is not like he is not used to working with great players.

To me it seems obvious that he gets a move after the World Cup, and with the Lange link I think it will be Villa if Gerrards gets sacked around that time, which seems likely. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, picicata said:

Were they? I watched Arsenal a fair bit and you could always see what they were trying to achieve. Quick movement in and around the box, speed etc. 

We look completely directionless and have done for the longest time

Probably before Gerrard took over tbf.

7 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Probably before Gerrard took over tbf.

Yes, I would agree, Smith had run his course as much as I liked the man. When we needed an upgrade we ended up with Gerrard who is, at best, the same level as Smith. Once Gerrard is gone we need to pull out all the stops to get a top manager.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was linked when Smith got sacked

Really, I’ve never heard of him apart from once or twice in passing as the Denmark manager but nothing more.  It’s interesting to read @Murieltake on him rather than just reading wiki.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really, I’ve never heard of him apart from once or twice in passing as the Denmark manager but nothing more.  It’s interesting to read @Murieltake on him rather than just reading wiki.

Think was more the Lange connection than anything solid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

People were saying the same thing about Arteta 12 months ago.

No. Arsenal fans were saying that and they are more entitled than Villa fans.

The shape and system were there for Arteta, the results weren’t but I think they will reap the rewards this year.

We have neither shape nor system, it’s just a bit of a mess if we are honest

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

This thread has run it's course, he will be nowhere near to getting the sack, he's just been allowed to sign six players or whatever it is, we're probably in the process of signing more, or at least trying to, whether people like it or not, we've just paid Blackpool a seven figure sum for Critchley, a coach who hasn't even had much chance to work with the team yet, we've only lost one game, it's not like he's at the stage whereby if we lose another two he will suddenly be fired, it will take a longer run of bad form than that, and as dramatic as people like to be, we most probably won't be bad enough over the next six or so games for him to lose his job, we have enough winnable games for him to at least do enough, and I know will say something like we couldn't even beat Bournemouth, but football obviously doesn't work like that, in the same way if we had beat Man City on the first day it wouldn't mean we were suddenly going to win every game.

Also people saying it's not about one game, well before Bournemouth hardly anyone was talking about him getting the sack, now people talking as if it's on the verge happening, when it's not, it could happen if we go on a disatrous run over the next six or so games, but could say that about most managers.

Gerrard has run his course! Time for him to go and get a better manager in

Edited by messi11

You are more than welcome to Brendan Rodgers !!

All smoke and mirrors with no substance !! He talks a big game but is tactically inept. You might just as well stick with Gerrard rather than put up with the Rodgers blame game.

Edited by gurru991

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

You are more than welcome to Brendan Rodgers !!

All smoke and mirrors with no substance !! He talks a big game but is tactically inept. You might just as well stick with Gerrard rather than put up with the Rodgers blame game.

I'd take 2 x 5th place finishes and an FA Cup win over 14th every time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1