Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

I don't think this is true. Just a few off the top of my head from the previous few seasons: Potter, Arteta, Moyes. I'm barely trying, so I imagine there will be more.

Then there's our own Dean Smith back in the promotion season. Plenty of people wanted him sacked as a 'failing manager'.

Neither Potter, Arteta, or Moyes could make Villa great again. Do you want it to be that Villas best hope is to be a mid table floater every year, because I dont, I want to see European football. we need an experianced top class manager who knows how to manage a big club. There are 50+ managers in the English leagues who could have done the job SG did managing Rangers. It's like half the people here are happy to let Stevie practice on us until he gets the Pool job. It just aint good enough.

I just want to say here, as someone who never wanted Gerrard and have been critical of him since watching the first half dozen games......

It is worth saying he won't be going until at least the end of September, so in my opinion we as fans shouldn't be too negative when watching the games live creating a toxic atmosphere and transferring it onto the pitch.

That's all I have to say.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Can't be bothered to go check me facts but is it not the case that SG's record last season, if repeated through the whole season had us top half of the table? Why then this season is anyone expecting to achieve a worse result than that after we've made some top signings? Is this not all really just a case of extreme impatience on the back of a disappointing first game?

Are you loving the winning football he's produced since joining? Have you bought into Stevie G's Aston Villa 'project'? Are you impressed with our clear identity and one for all team spirit? As a manager, the bloke is clearly all mouth and no trousers.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I just want to say here, as someone who never wanted Gerrard and have been critical of him since watching the first half dozen games......

It is worth saying he won't be going until at least the end of September, so in my opinion we as fans shouldn't be too negative when watching the games live creating a toxic atmosphere and transferring it onto the pitch.

That's all I have to say.

You're absolutely right, but it doesn't matter.

Prices have gone up 0-30%.

We've bought champions league players for huge figures on huge salaries.

The pre-season was described as nearly perfect by the manager and the players were all buying in and listening to their instructions.

Expectations are sky high. Highest in about 11 or 12 years.

The crowd will round on Gerrard big time if we don't beat Everton. He's also at risk of turning the crowd on McGinn and Coutinho if he keeps playing them when they don't deserve to be on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Can't be bothered to go check me facts but is it not the case that SG's record last season, if repeated through the whole season had us top half of the table? Why then this season is anyone expecting to achieve a worse result than that after we've made some top signings? Is this not all really just a case of extreme impatience on the back of a disappointing first game?

It was 9th based on last season's table yes. A decent hypothetical position.

As many pointed though, there was a clear downward trend. He got all the points at the start of his time and collapsed as the season was ending. It was an incredibly obvious trajectory.

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

As many pointed though, there was a clear downward trend. He got all the points at the start of his time and collapsed as the season was ending. It was an incredibly obvious trajectory.

Exactly, So in other words if you take out the false impression of the new manager bounce it was relegation form.

You can’t be selective in when you look at his results. It’s all or nothing. 

The trajectory of results and performances is concerning but comments on expenditure are quite frankly ridiculous. If you take out the squaddies, he has only signed Digne, Carlos, Kamara and Coutinho as starting players in 2 windows. All are excellent players and by established premier league team standards the reported transfers/salaries were not in any way excessive.

The signings of buendia, Bailey, ings etc had absolutely nothing to do with him but he has shown a willingness to integrate and play them albeit Buendia v Coutinho is a dilemma. 

I hope he lands the CM that is so obviously still required in this window as that will then resolve the McGinn/Ramsey issue and hopefully give the team a much better balance. He will then have his eyes on sorting out the CB partner for Carlos and probably a new striker unless one of Watkins/Archer/Ings really delivers before January.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You can’t be selective in when you look at his results. It’s all or nothing. 

The trajectory of results and performances is concerning but comments on expenditure are quite frankly ridiculous. If you take out the squaddies, he has only signed Digne, Carlos, Kamara and Coutinho as starting players in 2 windows. All are excellent players and by established premier league team standards the reported transfers/salaries were not in any way excessive.

The signings of buendia, Bailey, ings etc had absolutely nothing to do with him but he has shown a willingness to integrate and play them albeit Buendia v Coutinho is a dilemma. 

I hope he lands the CM that is so obviously still required in this window as that will then resolve the McGinn/Ramsey issue and hopefully give the team a much better balance. He will then have his eyes on sorting out the CB partner for Carlos and probably a new striker unless one of Watkins/Archer/Ings really delivers before January.

Why would you take out the squaddies? Shouldn't it be all or nothing? Augustinsson and Chambers are very good squad players, in fact Chambers should feel aggrieved he isn't starting. Olsen is a good backup too. He's been able to really strengthen our squad. We are really only weak in 1 area of the pitch, and even there we have adequate players, they are just let down by the ridiculous shape we play with. 

Is there anything you can point to in Villa's 2022 that you can grab onto for hope, other than the prospect of chucking more money at things?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If you go by that logic Newcastle will finish 3rd. 

47 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Why would you take out the squaddies? Shouldn't it be all or nothing? Augustinsson and Chambers are very good squad players, in fact Chambers should feel aggrieved he isn't starting. Olsen is a good backup too. He's been able to really strengthen our squad. We are really only weak in 1 area of the pitch, and even there we have adequate players, they are just let down by the ridiculous shape we play with. 

Is there anything you can point to in Villa's 2022 that you can grab onto for hope, other than the prospect of chucking more money at things?

I was making the point re the first XI but agree the squaddie additions have been high caliber as well. 

My personal view is that Gerrard is trying to play high risk/reward football but is lacking players and leaders in key positions as well as not having the coaching experience yet to pull this off. A CM, goal scorer (who we may have at the club already) and the CB pairing for Carlos all need to be resolved in the next 12 months if we’re going to make the progress we all want. 

The CM is critical so if he doesn’t land this player in the next few weeks he really needs to take a more pragmatic view with his desired playing style to buy time until January or next summer.  Clearly, a lot of  coaching work still needs to be done at bodymoor and he has to take responsibility for that. 

Finally, there is an obvious open question re whether the legacy Smith squad, including Last summer transfers, really believe in his approach and methods. It’s fairly obvious some don’t. He needs to decide which ones he wants to keep around and be absolutely brutal in exiting those that he doesn’t want around. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

I was making the point re the first XI but agree the squaddie additions have been high caliber as well. 

My personal view is that Gerrard is trying to play high risk/reward football but is lacking players and leaders in key positions as well as not having the coaching experience yet to pull this off. A CM, goal scorer (who we may have at the club already) and the CB pairing for Carlos all need to be resolved in the next 12 months if we’re going to make the progress we all want. 

The CM is critical so if he doesn’t land this player in the next few weeks he really needs to take a more pragmatic view with his desired playing style to buy time until January or next summer.  Clearly, a lot of  coaching work still needs to be done at bodymoor and he has to take responsibility for that. 

Finally, there is an obvious open question re whether the legacy Smith squad, including Last summer transfers, really believe in his approach and methods. It’s fairly obvious some don’t. He needs to decide which ones he wants to keep around and be absolutely brutal in exiting those that he doesn’t want around. 

It would be such an incredible lack of judgement to allow Gerrard to jettison good players so that he can continue trying to implement his 'brand of football'. 

He has done literally nothing to indicate he's worth that risk. 

No coaching ability, no tactics, no man management skills. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Podster said:

Neither Potter, Arteta, or Moyes could make Villa great again. Do you want it to be that Villas best hope is to be a mid table floater every year, because I dont, I want to see European football. we need an experianced top class manager who knows how to manage a big club. There are 50+ managers in the English leagues who could have done the job SG did managing Rangers. It's like half the people here are happy to let Stevie practice on us until he gets the Pool job. It just aint good enough.

Gerrard will be nowhere near the Liverpool job, they’ll have the pick of any elite manager in the world after Klopp leaves.

• Like 2

Please, no more Britons. They are all mediocre at best.

I think Pochettino would be one of the more exciting choices for me personally, though I highly doubt he'd even entertain the notion of joining us. He's just managed one of the best teams in the world.

Granted, he does IMO still have to prove himself as I think he was a bit too reliant on one tactic with PSG, but I also think he has the tactical wherewithal to do well here. There are issues with longevity perhaps, as it seems his pressing style sort of fades with the years. Not sure why though.

But again, considering that he is unlikely to join, I'm not really sure what the next step could be, realistically? Rodgers perhaps, but as I've said many times before, the answer can't be another half-decent English dude that chokes after two seasons, max. 

We're struggling to kick-on, and I think that is a reality we will have to accept while our rivals race ahead around us. 

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Do you think it's worth persisting with him until the hypothetical point where his brand of football clicks? Again, what indications have you seen that this is even possible? This seems incredibly risky, especially considering we'll need to get rid of even more players to make this happen. We sacked Smith because we needed someone who could get more out of this group, not rip it up to implement some unproven style.

Also, I thought we were supposed to have a unified style of play independent of the manager? One where if you sacked a head coach and replaced him with another, they would be able to pick up right where the previous left off and hopefully improve. What I'm hearing is that this particular fellow is special though and needs his own special players for his special brand of football, and we need to uproot this structure for him despite having no indications that this could work. I didn't realize an SPL title win was so valuable to be honest.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, daft said:

Please, no more Britons. They are all mediocre at best.

I think Pochettino would be one of the more exciting choices for me personally, though I highly doubt he'd even entertain the notion of joining us. He's just managed one of the best teams in the world.

Granted, he does IMO still have to prove himself as I think he was a bit too reliant on one tactic with PSG, but I also think he has the tactical wherewithal to do well here. There are issues with longevity perhaps, as it seems his pressing style sort of fades with the years. Not sure why though.

But again, considering that he is unlikely to join, I'm not really sure what the next step could be, realistically? Rodgers perhaps, but as I've said many times before, the answer can't be another half-decent English dude that chokes after two seasons, max. 

We're struggling to kick-on, and I think that is a reality we will have to accept while our rivals race ahead around us. 

Nice racism here - yea all britons are mediocre. 

Also rogers is northen irish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Nice racism here - yea all britons are mediocre. 

Also rogers is northen irish. 

Yeah, I know how it comes across but the track record is a bit iffy to say the least. They seem to do very well with smaller clubs outside the top 4-5 or so, but the step up seems (understandably) tough. Even including the NI ones (sorry 'bout that). I'm basically Norwegian to anyone outside Scandinavia so I suppose. 😇

I'm not sure why that is? Maybe because very few managers from the UK and NI goes abroad for experience? Tactical philosophies trained and taught in the coaching courses? 

41 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Gerrard will be nowhere near the Liverpool job, they’ll have the pick of any elite manager in the world after Klopp leaves.

The media clowns will try sell him to Liverpool, muppets like Carragher, Stelling and Jenas

I imagine Liverpool board wont be hiring mates like Purslow does

2 minutes ago, daft said:

Yeah, I know how it comes across but the track record is a bit iffy to say the least. They seem to do very well with smaller clubs outside the top 4-5 or so, but the step up seems (understandably) tough. Even including the NI ones (sorry 'bout that). I'm basically Norwegian to anyone outside Scandinavia so I suppose. 😇

I'm not sure why that is? Maybe because very few managers from the UK and NI goes abroad for experience? Tactical philosophies trained and taught in the coaching courses? 

In fairness Potter did incredible in Sweden, Hodgson did fine jobs in Scandinavia and even got the Inter job

McLaren even won the Dutch league with a non big 3 team