Pre match thread

roonst83

Fulham no dummies. And they play a 4231 typically.

Gerrard will undoubtedly play the same 433 he started vs Chelsea (though he did change the lineup after a draw vs City) and then be befuddled why it isn't working against Fulham.

Watkins had time and space to exploit against Chelsea's CB's when their wingbacks were pushed high. Same thing with JJ and Bailey on the other side.

Will find no such luck here with Reid and Robinson very capable at fullbacks and wingers coming back to defend (especially that annoying pest James if he starts).

Strangely enough, I think Mings excels in these physical battles like against Mitrovic. It's the quicker, tricky players he has trouble with.

A slog, probably, made even worse as the Villa Park faithful stir restlessly and have a moan at every misplaced pass or poor control.

Don't envy the atmosphere, don't envy to be a player on the pitch for either side.

0-0 wouldn't surprise me. But if Fulham figure it out and start overloading the wings - will get ugly against Villa.

Edited by DJBOB

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Fulham no dummies. And they play a 4231 typically.

Gerrard will undoubtedly play the same 433 he started vs Chelsea (though he did change the lineup after a draw vs City) and then be befuddled why it isn't working against Fulham.

Watkins had time and space to exploit against Chelsea's CB's when their wingbacks were pushed high. Same thing with JJ and Bailey on the other side.

Will find no such luck here with Reid and Robinson very capable at fullbacks and wingers coming back to defend (especially that annoying pest James if he starts).

Strangely enough, I think Mings excels in these physical battles like against Mitrovic. It's the quicker, tricky players he has trouble with.

A slog, probably, made even worse as the Villa Park faithful stir restlessly and have a moan at every misplaced pass or poor control.

Don't envy the atmosphere, don't envy to be a player on the pitch for either side.

0-0 wouldn't surprise me. But if Fulham figure it out and start overloading the wings - will get ugly against Villa.

I'd be surprised if there were stirrings and moans at Villa Park, considering the match will be played at Craven Cottage.

Give me strength.

3 minutes ago, wedge said:

I'd be surprised if there were stirrings and moans at Villa Park, considering the match will be played at Craven Cottage.

Give me strength.

Oh Mercy - read the fixture list backwards

• Haha 1

I have basically no expectations going into any game now. He just needs to be gone. Thankfully the media/social media narrative around Gerrard seems to have moved from 'should' he go to who's replacing him. Mitrović might well put pay to us on Thursday. Or he mightn't. Who cares. I've a hunch we'll go 433, keep it narrow, etc etc.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I have basically no expectations going into any game now. He just needs to be gone. Thankfully the media/social media narrative around Gerrard seems to have moved from 'should' he go to who's replacing him. Mitrović might well put pay to us on Thursday. Or he mightn't. Who cares. I've a hunch we'll go 433, keep it narrow, etc etc.

Might as well just play the same team as Sunday, can't see any reason why not, it was our best performance of the season (until he made the subs which stifled us).

Repetitive 433 line up and the same eleven that started Sunday will start again I reckon.

I’m just not sure how this one will go?  Even if we win the game, nothing changes in relation to Gerrard.

Just not feeling it today but hopefully I’ll change come Thursday evening. 

What Gerrard should do is sack McAllister & McPhee & Danks, then change his personality, before taking the squad to a London comedy club, telling the attackers to relax & enjoy themselves & giving Watkins the night off, so that he will return to score 4 against Brentford.

48 minutes ago, HenrysEyebrow said:

Is Kamara injured? Thought he was good (albeit dirty) against us and don't recall seeing him much since, can't believe McGinn starts every game.

Yes, he's out until after the World Cup.

The only good point is that I will be watching in Coco's bar Benelmadena. If ever your out this way its a great atmosphere on match day. Loads of tvs all games on at same time. Every one in their colours all cheering, well except for us Villa lads

19 hours ago, wedge said:

Might as well just play the same team as Sunday, can't see any reason why not, it was our best performance of the season (until he made the subs which stifled us).

We should but he wont. Front 3 seem to have to always be changed so expect Coutinho in for Bailey or Ings