Pre match thread (El Sackico?)

mottaloo

On 06/10/2022 at 10:19, DJBOB said:

Will be a half chance or a scrum in the box that wins this game.

Forest have played both the 352 and the 4231 but more the 352 this season. I expect Cooper to read the scouting report on Villa and go back to the 352. Villa are not a team capable of breaking down the low block so they will clog the middle and we will hit hopeless crosses.

But maybe MacPhee can conjure up another set piece routine that will result in a goal. That's the only way I see this scoring.

I don't rate any of our options lining up against them. Bailey (if available) will have a tough time finding any space if Forest sit back. Watkins will be running into brick walls. This is a game crying out for Ings and Buendia but will Gerrard have enough sense to see that? I doubt it, but surely he knows that's the right thing to do in the back of his mind.

I would not be surprised to see his away lineup that we've seen twice this year.

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Young

JJ-Luiz-McGinn

Buendia-Watkins-Coutinho

In Gerrard's mind, this midfield can "control" the game (laughable) and he's going to try and conjure up some magic out of the front three. The problem is - as gifted as Buendia and Coutinho are - you can't just thread the needle with two small players and an inefficient finisher. I would prefer to line up.

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Young

Buendia-Luiz-Dendocker-Coutinho

Archer-Ings

You are giving up a lot of defensive solidity with this lineup - but Forest can be got at if you have numbers in their final third. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see this lineup

Whyyyyyyyy here we go again.

Happy to see Buendia start (and especially to see both Buendia and Coutinho playing), but Watkins again? Give Ings a chance! SG said last week that the forwards needed to improve but, if it hadn't been for Bailey's knock, we'd probably have the same front 3. He just can't drop his favorites no matter how they play.

Of course, with this midfield, it doesn't really matter who the forwards are.

I remember at the start of the season, there was hope McGinn wouldn’t be undroppable because he was now captain, but let’s be honest, he is absolutely undroppable. 

Flabbergasted that Watkins is starting ahead of Ings and Archer. Laughable if I’m being honest.

Glad Buendia gets a go.

• Like 1