January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You just made all that up. People can be frustrated that we're not landing our actual targets.

Who ever does in January?

It's a shit show of a window every year since he was introduced.

If we battling relegation I'd be screaming to get bodies in...but we're not.

Just relax people. We're clearing the decks for a brilliant summer. It's a good thing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’re actually 8 highest spenders in Jan. i know still disappointing but ain’t like we’ve done nothing. 

Moreno looks tidy so that's a good signing for sure.

Just baffles me why we're going so light upfront unless we sign someone last minute.

Emery always had loads of forward options at Villareal and Arsenal so not like he's a manager that prefers just one CF considering he regularly played Auba and Lacazette together at Arsenal.

Sure we would've signed someone if we were still in FA cup. Still 18 league games left and a few midweek games.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've been doing well with for the rest of the season, without signing anyone.

I'd like to introduce you to a little thing called "injuries".

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

A few have said this, and whilst I agree in principle, what if this oversight leaves us finishing, say 14th. Who on our list of top players is going to join us over the teams who've just spent (ok not all of them will improve, but some) and are ahead of us in the league? It's harder to sell a project when it appears to the outside like it's not working (even if we, who follow the club every week, know it is). 

A very valid point. Maybe financially we know we can't afford a stop gap of any kind,  and doing so would prevent us getting all of the targets we want in the summer. But we don't know that we'll finish 14th. Calculated gamble that we'll still finish at least where we are, and at the same time know that we'll have the money might be a better option. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've already been doing well with, for the rest of the season, without signing anyone just for the sake of it.

Steve Carell Thankyou GIF - Steve Carell Thankyou Michael Scott GIFs

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've been doing well with for the rest of the season, without signing anyone.

People  are becoming like spoilt children because of the money involved in the premier league.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've already been doing well with, for the rest of the season, without signing anyone just for the sake of it?

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I'd like to introduce you to a little thing called "injuries".

So we continue to do better than Gerrard but not as good as we have been under Emery. Probably still has us where we are now. Our form is currently top 4. Even if we drop a bit due to injuries, it is probably still top half with the backups we do have. 

Just now, Powehi said:

We've got one game a week and six/seven players in reserve - plus some talented youth. We'll be fine mate.

Well personally I'd rather not see Olsen or Dendoncker start another game for us, or have to rely on starting Bailey up front by himself. If you're all good with that, I'm delighted for you and I envy your ability to disregard the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've already been doing well with, for the rest of the season, without signing anyone just for the sake of it?

Injuries, form, bookings and options would like a chat! 😁

7 minutes ago, Powehi said:

I think the difference compared to previous occasions are almost like these first choice players are "starting from scratch" under Emery. Let's look at the front six:

Kamara - injured and playing in Gerrard's shit midfield system
Luiz - in and out of the team under Gerrard
Buendia - more out than in the team under Gerrard
Ramsey - not utilised correctly under Gerrard
Bailey - injured and then barely started under Gerrard
Watkins - not utilised correctly under Gerrard

They are now being properly coached and can grow together in these remaining 18 games. They know that they are backed and supported by the manager, but at the same time we do have options that can come in if they play poorly - Dendoncker, McGinn, Coutinho, Duran. 

We've played the transfer window in terms of outs rather than ins, but I totally see why Emery's done it this way.

I would definitely agree that probably the biggest improvement recently is that our midfield was a massive issue with us and the way that Emery has got Kamara and Luiz playing together and controlling the midfield for long portions of games is hugely encouraging.  That alone is (like you infer) probably the equivalent of a top quality CM signing (maybe even two).  It will be interesting to see whether Emery can get Buendia, Ramsey and Bailey firing to the same extent and I also think that Ollie will be much better now that we are playing better as a team and hopefully he's gaining more confidence.  It has also eased the pressure on the defence - I think Mings and Konsa are getting caught out of position less because Kamara and Luiz as a partnership are doing a better job of covering them and picking up the players arriving from deep.

Plenty to be optimistic about for sure.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hear what you saying but how a four year deal for a 29 year old just because?

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Who ever does in January?

It's a shit show of a window every year since he was introduced.

If we battling relegation I'd be screaming to get bodies in...but we're not.

Just relax people. We're clearing the decks for a brilliant summer. It's a good thing.

Newcastle last year pretty much nailed it.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And if Watkins has an injury?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

People  are becoming like spoilt children because of the money involved in the premier league.

That's not true. What is true is if you stand still you drop down the leagues, its the way it is like it or not, nothing to do with been spoilt. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Who we got to get us goals, I mean Watkins is not really the answer if he stays fit.

Baffling answer. He literally scored the winner in the last game. Bailey and Buendia score goals, and indeed did so in the game before that, which we also won.

Duran might also be pretty good, seeing as we spent 15m+ on him as a 19 year old.

• Haha 1