January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I agree with much of this.  I didn't think that a great coach would be as transformational as it appears to have been (without counting our chickens before they have hatched - our up turn in form seems less about a new manager "bounce" and more about the change in style, formation and tactics that the manager has introduced and so there seems to be a low risk of repeating what we did last season - get a great set of initial results under a new manager and then revert to **** or even manage to get worse).  However, that just seems like even more reason why it is disappointing that we've not been able to strengthen (so far).  I agree that we don't want to overpay / be held to ransom - but at the same time we've been here before where we've had a great chance to kick on and then not made the right investment at the right time and missed out on a massive opportunity.  Individually I don't think that anyone can argue with any single transfer - just as a collective it's a little disappointing (but hopefully that might still change!!). 

I think the difference compared to previous occasions are almost like these first choice players are "starting from scratch" under Emery. Let's look at the front six:

Kamara - injured and playing in Gerrard's shit midfield system
Luiz - in and out of the team under Gerrard
Buendia - more out than in the team under Gerrard
Ramsey - not utilised correctly under Gerrard
Bailey - injured and then barely started under Gerrard
Watkins - not utilised correctly under Gerrard

They are now being properly coached and can grow together in these remaining 18 games. They know that they are backed and supported by the manager, but at the same time we do have options that can come in if they play poorly - Dendoncker, McGinn, Coutinho, Duran. 

We've played the transfer window in terms of outs rather than ins, but I totally see why Emery's done it this way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Pretty terrible window imo.

An injury to Watkins and were screwed.

Before you say we have Duran the bloke has never played 90 mins in the PL before and is 19.

Before you say we have Bailey the bloke is the epitome of inconsistency and I have zero faith in him leading the line for us.

I'm glad were close to the 35 point survival mark because i think we can write the rest of this season off now and it's a shame because i think we could have really kicked on.

That's mediocre team thinking.

''Quick, let's get a striker in on a big contract, don't worry if he is not our preferred option, we can maybe push towards Conference League! 3 year contract? Sure, here is 75k a week to an option that we don't really fancy. '' 

I prefer for us to wait, save a bit of money so we can really get the right people in the summer - not a Guilbert, not a Bednarek, not a Coutinho, not a Sanson, we've been down this road. It's expensive and ineffective.

Let's use the money wisely and really invest in the summer for the right targets. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wedge said:

The same people throwing their toys out the pram about us not getting bodies in are probably the same people who will be writing them off in 6-12 months calling them crap etc!

I don't just want 'bodies', I want genuine improvements to the squad as Unai has stated in a recent press conference, I swear modern football fans (the like of which you see on Twitter) prefer transfers to the actual football 🤣

Big generalisation. I'm pretty much always glass half full when it comes to Villa, but having a new manager, shedding a bunch of players, feels like an opportunity. We definitely don't appear to be using the opportunity, in that we are clearly not landing our targets. The proof being we've not signed anyone. We are light in numbers, especially in attack.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Now Guendouzi ruled out I wouldn't be surprised if we tried for Gallagher on loan.

I don’t think a midfielder is a priority unless it’s a significant improvement like Guendouzi, we are staked in midfield.  Sanson isn’t a miss so doesn’t need to be replaced 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah always been this way but you start to see who the constant moaners are over time and can just ignore them. 

Be glad to see the window close and get back to some games, watching Watkins miss sitters and struggling for goals.

Fixed for you 

11 minutes ago, allani said:

Why are you discounting penalties.  It isn't like if you score a penalty then it doesn't count towards the result of a match.  You have also ignored assists - which are also an important measure of a striker's impact on a game.  If Duran comes in and scores 5 goals between now and the end of the season I will be absolutely delighted.  But it is a massive gamble.

People generally discount penalties when discussing goals scored for comparative purposes as 85% of PL penalties are scored, whoever is taking them. To put another way if someone other than Ings had been taking them then the stats would suggest at worse it might have meant one of them was missed. 

We are going off topic here - I’d like us to sign another striker, but I’m not at all worried about losing Ings’ number of goals/assists from this squad to cash in when we had the chance.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

Just now, Mic09 said:

''Quick, let's get a striker in on a big contract, don't worry if he is not our preferred option, we can maybe push towards Conference League! 3 year contract? Sure, here is 75k a week to an option that we don't really fancy. '' 

I prefer for us to wait, save a bit of money so we can really get the right people in the summer - not a Guilbert, not a Bednarek, not a Coutinho, not a Sanson, we've been down this road. It's expensive and ineffective.

Let's use the money wisely and really invest in the summer for the right targets. 

You just made all that up. People can be frustrated that we're not landing our actual targets.

• Like 2

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

Are Villa fans naturally miserable, or is it something we've been working on recently?

I said it before but I think some of us have really had PTSD from our bad years. So situations like today where we probably won’t make any signings, people naturally panic. 

I’ve seen all sorts in the last day or so, ranging from Emery will walk for not being backed, to the board must not care and I’ve even seen a few say NSWE out lol comparing them to Tottenhams board. 

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think you add in the return of McGinn and Carlos from injury, along with the signing of Moreno and Duran, to the team that won 4/6 under Emery pre window, and you cover the loss of Ings and Sanson. Also factoring in the full return of Ramsey to fitness and form.

The rest of the players we've lost didn't play so arent a loss at all.

I think our match day 16 is stronger than it was pre window. But it's only an injury away from being weaker. 2 or more injuries and we're really struggling. Plus Carlos probably won't be back for a few more weeks yet.

For this reason, and the fact I think we could get a European spot if we cover the potential injuries, I'll be disappointed if we don't sign anyone.

But I'm not concerned if we don't, just a waste of what could have been. And maybe a concern that the reason we didn't get anyone is we couldn't persuade them to join. Maybe if that is the case, something will make them more persuade-able in the summer.

Agree almost 100%.  Shame we haven't been able to see Duran on the pitch yet to see whether the worry about losing Ings is justified or not.  Maybe I was just overly optimistic going into the window!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Exactly it might mean losing out on a preferred target in the summer,  imagine if our preferred targets for the summer are Guendouzi, Nico Williams and Marcus Thuram  and we had to miss out on one of them because we decided to splash wages on someone who doesn’t really fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Big generalisation. I'm pretty much always glass half full when it comes to Villa, but having a new manager, shedding a bunch of players, feels like an opportunity. We definitely don't appear to be using the opportunity, in that we are clearly not landing our targets. The proof being we've not signed anyone. We are light in numbers, especially in attack.

We only one up top and Watkins has averaged 36 league games per season in his first 2 seasons with us. It looks like a calculated gamble that he leads the line until the summer at least.

59 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Survive the season? If that is the sum of our ambition then we may as well all give up. 

Won't get Europe?  Have you actually looked at the table and the recent form table?  We're three points off 6th place and 3rd, 4th or 5th on current form depending on number of games counted, we have a Manager who is either elite or very close to it, and we have momentum.  What makes you think we won't get Europe?

No need for the attitude. I’m just posting an opinion as are you… nothing is being claimed as a fact. 

I don’t think we will get Europe this year because our squad isn’t strong enough, we just sold our top scorer and (for whatever reason) we haven’t sufficient strengthened this January. It might be that we get a few more in before the end of today, but as things stand I think there are too many better sides for us to get in to Europe this year.

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

You just made all that up. People can be frustrated that we're not landing our actual targets.

That's not made up - the club have specific target players that they feel are good enough and financially feasible.

We are not going to sign Mbappe. But if we feel Dembele is a not good enough alternative, why should we sign him?

Jan window is tricky. An in form striker of high quality is unlikely to leave their club right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

A few have said this, and whilst I agree in principle, what if this oversight leaves us finishing, say 14th. Who on our list of top players is going to join us over the teams who've just spent (ok not all of them will improve, but some) and are ahead of us in the league? It's harder to sell a project when it appears to the outside like it's not working (even if we, who follow the club every week, know it is). 

Totally agree, it could be a risky strategy. I suppose I could be way off, but it seems like that might be the case.

52 minutes ago, allani said:

If that is the scale of the club's ambition then we are truly ****ed.

I doubt that’s the scale of the ambition on any sort of medium to long term scale, but perhaps that’s where we are until May? Who knows, might be nothing like that theory.

• Like 1