January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, Folski said:

People are on about Europe but realistically we dont have anywhere near the depth for it at the moment.

It would be great to make it but there's a realistic chance it hurts our short term progress by actually making it.

We didn’t have the squad for the premier league when Deano first came in (in that we had a lot of loanees and older players who were released at the end of the season). Yet here we are still going in the prem. If we get Europe (and it’s a big if) then we build the squad for that then. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Getting into Europe for next season would probably do more damage in the long run, we don't have the squad.  Many teams that unexpectedly find themselves in Europe, usually suffer a dip in league form.

I get your point, but it would make a lot of players think twice about turning down a move to us during the summer window. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

There seems to be a similar attitude sneaking in that appeared during Deano's 2nd season. Where some are acting like football will end in a few years and we have to finish in European places right now. 

I'd like some signings but we're not Everton right now. There's no desperation. 

Alternatively people are hoping to avoid a situation where a good bit of form in cancelled out because we have an injury to a key player and then don't have enough options to grind out results.  Consequently, we fall away from a position where we might have been able to persuade our best player to give us one more season and then end up entering the following season in a weaker position.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

But then you're expecting a new player/new players to just settle straight away and be great straight away, right?  Which fairly rarely happens.  You can already see the bedding in needed with Alex Moreno; who may well turn out to be a good purchase.

Overpaying for the sake of getting player(s) in in January and expecting them to come good is a risky approach.  It's absolutely impatience.  We've got a better shot at Europe next season having (hopefully) not had a poor start to the season.  The players we've already got (largely, Ings has left) have got us to where we are and improved already under Emery.  It's absolutely impatience to be saying "this isn't good enough, we need more NOW".

Surely it is better to get them in now so that they have 4 months to settle in than sign then in the summer and then expect it to take 2 or 3 months before our team is ticking???

33 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm actually OK with that, but if you have an expectation of results, we need to strengthen. That's not bedwetting, or whatever uncalled for verb you choose to use, it's pragmatism. 

We are averaging over 2 ppg, so I would say that the players are good enough (avoiding injuries). My reference to bedwetting is to do with the premature conclusion by some on here that we won't sign anybody before the window closes. 

I think that we are fortunate to have a manager who understands the difference between two often confused words .... Want and Need.

Unai obviously knows want he "wants" but he is also very clear about what he actually "needs".

January is a notoriously difficult and overpriced window with distorted values being the norm, so Emery has quietly got on with a bit of ground clearing work for the building project he has in mind.

He needed a quick wing back to make his system work more effectively so he added Alex Moreno. I'm sure he would like Guendouzi this month, but only at a price that leaves his team building budget healthy going forward. Jhon Duran is a relatively cheap uncut diamond to be polished by a very good coach.

Our results are good in the Premier League since he joined us, and the month of January has been truly excellent. The departure of Ings was the only hiccup as I'm sure Unai would have liked to retain his services until the summer, but his high wages and the fee offered meant that he made a pragmatic decision for the sake of the club project. 

We have eighteen matches left to play and no extra cup matches to get in the way, so we don't "need" any more signings this January, but as a fan I'll put my "want" hat on and say Matteo Guendouzi and Jonathan David would be very welcome additions before 11pm January 31st.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

We've signed martinez and kamara without European football. 

We've signed big names like Bailey and Ings. 

We've attracted a world class manager. 

We haven't finished in the top half of the Premier league since Houllier was manager. 

Yep.

To add to this...

Ourselves, Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham and probably more have all recently made signings that would start for top 6 sides.

It can be done next season even if we bring in the right players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

We are averaging over 2 ppg, so I would say that the players are good enough (avoiding injuries). My reference to bedwetting is to do with the premature conclusion by some on here that we won't sign anybody before the window closes. 

We just lost a third of our goals. Ings scored the decisive goal to win 3 games this season, and draw a 4th. That's 10 points. With goal difference adjusted that would put us currently 16th. So as I say, with this squad, minus Danny and even with Emery's undoubted tactical quality, I don't believe the second coming of Alex Ferguson spliced with Nigel Clough would get us to 8th. If he does it would be an almost miraculous feat. And that's if we don't get any injuries.  

23 minutes ago, allani said:

Surely it is better to get them in now so that they have 4 months to settle in than sign then in the summer and then expect it to take 2 or 3 months before our team is ticking???

Depends on the cost, right?  For the same cost?  Sure, why not.  But it won't be the same cost, because January.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think one of the fears might be that players like Kamara might get tempted and poached if we don't start finishing in Europe asap.

However, I don't think actual footballers always think like us. The likes of Emi 1 and Kamara very well may believe in the overall " project " and like the general direction we are heading in, so have patience.

Either way I trust the club, we are on the right track. I'm happier than I've been for a while, the only slight gripe is the hindsight of wasted first quarter of the season.

Regardless of whether Villa get into Europe this season or next season I expect the top teams to be trying to sign him anyway within the next 2 years and if he does leave he will not be cheap.

Like Grealish, if the top clubs really want somebody, they will end up going anyway. 

• Like 2

THIS. Just the message we want to be sending as a club in late January, 2023:

Ideally, these closing days of the window will be productive.

But if Villa have to wait until the summer to land the marquee signing Emery wants, then the Kamara pursuit a year ago shows the club are starting to get it right around recruitment and that waiting for the right option is more important than stockpiling players for the sake of it. 

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've signed martinez and kamara without European football. 

We've signed big names like Bailey and Ings. 

We've attracted a world class manager. 

We haven't finished in the top half of the Premier league since Houllier was manager. 

Fair points

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We just lost a third of our goals. Ings scored the decisive goal to win 3 games this season, and draw a 4th. That's 10 points. With goal difference adjusted that would put us currently 16th. So as I say, with this squad, minus Danny and even with Emery's undoubted tactical quality, I don't believe the second coming of Alex Ferguson spliced with Nigel Clough would get us to 8th. If he does it would be an almost miraculous feat. And that's if we don't get any injuries.  

Whilst I do like Nigel, are you thinking of his dad? 🤔

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, John said:

Whilst I do like Nigel, are you thinking of his dad? 🤔

Haha, omg. Yes Brian. In my defence it's been a long day, and my kids kept me up all night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Its not bedwetting. People look at the wording used by the manager and come to a conclusion that we may not sign anyone else.

Wether you consider that a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion.