January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I think the club would like to get rid of Digne and redistribute his wages across the team and new players. Cash is a funny one. He’s a player we can get a fee for, so maybe the club will let him go and use the fee for a new right back? 

One things for sure, if we’re serious about top 6/8, we need better players. Players like Cash and Digne aren’t going to get us there unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Because Percy is obviously fed news by the club, and has probably been told of Cash's uncertain future so fans can brace themselves for his possible departure. The club use Percy to report things that they don't want to come outright and say themselves.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’ve got a feeling that we are trying to see who we can shift before making our moves. We are waiting to see how much we have to play with in terms of wages and once we get closer to the end of the window, we will make our moves, with personal terms for the players that we want, probably already agreed. 
With this in mind, I would predict another out in the early part of the week, followed by 2  to 3 new signings towards the end of the week/start of next week. I think the next few days will prove to be very interesting.

I don't think this is true.  I think Emery and Lange are all over the list of people who they could bring in - that is something that they can control and (with a break before our next match) I think they will be working hard to get a deal across the line.  I think Emery has done a good job in the media of making it clear that we are not desperate for new players and that we won't be held to ransom this window.  He knows the players he wants and if he has to wait until the summer - he would prefer to do that than overpay now or just bring a lesser option in to fill a short term hole (Dembele possibly being an exception).  However, I think he's also done a decent job of reminding / letting people know that we have a couple of players who would are available - a bit like the "Offer Player to Clubs" option in FM.

I do think your assessment in terms of player movement is about right - I think we will see 2 out and probably 2 or 3 in.  Or at least I think that is the plan but UE will adjust if he can't get who he wants this time around.  It just seems to fit with the noises about Emery thinking longer term rather than just about the next 6 months.  The confidence of a manager who expects to be successful over a 3+ year period as opposed to one who is worrying that if results aren't great between now and the end of the season their position might be under threat????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How can a journo know who has an uncertain future or not? We need a right back because one of them turns 38 next season and may not even be with us. 

We don’t have any “tier one” or anything like that anymore. We don’t leak stuff to the press. It’s all speculative points based on guesswork.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the club would like to get rid of Digne and redistribute his wages across the team and new players. Cash is a funny one. He’s a player we can get a fee for, so maybe the club will let him go and use the fee for a new right back? 

One things for sure, if we’re serious about top 6/8, we need better players. Players like Cash and Digne aren’t going to get us there unfortunately. 

Teams currently in the top 3 are all playing at least one centre half at full back. I don’t disagree we need to upgrade the team but I’m not sure it’s that easy to upgrade the full back position unless you spend big money on one. There aren’t loads of decent full backs out there so will come at a premium. I think KKH coached correctly could be the answer we are looking for. He is perfect for the Emery  system. 

Edited by WHY

9 hours ago, Tayls said:

Not sure what’s going on with Cashy! Why would he not be picked ahead of Young? 

Young is up there with our players of the season for me. Whilst he may have lost a yard of pace he brings so much experience and guile to the team. He's obviously not a long term option, but right now he's quality. If Cash has any sense he will be watching everything Ashley is doing and learning. 

51 minutes ago, useless said:

It was only a few days ago, I doubt the situation has changed since then. If Cash was facing an uncertain future on Thursday then he probably still is now.

He said Digne faced uncertain future in same sentence in the article. 

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Guendouzi is literally a perfect fit for where Buendia is currently playing so makes the most sense, as Buendia has been poor, outside of his effort, which is always good. For me Buendia is too slow, too weak, and not a good enough dribbler to succeed as an advanced attacker. I don't believe he has the tools to succeed in the premier league as a result. Love him to prove me wrong though. People say Bailey is inconsistent, which is a little unfair, but Buendia is consistently poor! Today he was getting a lot of space, and did f*** all with it! Against Man U he did okay, and second half against Tottenham he was decent. That's it all season, nothing else to see!

Guendouzi would be a very important signing. and midfield 4 of Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey and Guendouzi would almost have it all. Kamara the complete number 6, Luiz makes us tick, keeps the ball moving, switches play intelligently and a good passer. Ramsey strong, good ball carrier, good finisher, hard worker. Guendouzi, tenacious, good ball carrier, hard worker, live wire. 

The striker is the hard one for me. I like Thuram, and I like Dembele, but they are both risks (both are far from being certain to be good enough for the premier league). Thuram I think would suit us a little better as he can play off the left as well, so would fit into Emery's tactics nicely, Dembele is very much through the centre. Having said that both Bailey and Buendia would probably Benefit from Dembele. Dembele's aerial prowess would be perfect for Bailey as he provides some delicous deliveries. Buendia as we know linked up very well the finnish striker at Norwich, who attacked straight down the middle.

Deulofeu makes little sense to me. not a striker, plays off the left, so would we play a 4-3-3 instead, or go without a recognised striker, or play Watkins off the right wing (which is his least preferred position). Watkins likes to work the left channel, by going wide to the left and coming inside.

Danjuma make some sense, plays off the left, not an out an out striker, but more so tahn Deulofeu. but injury prone, which is why we are steering clear i believe. Young Duran is a striker that was converted from a winger. Left footed, so I assume he likes to come in off the right. But he is basically a mystery to me.

I can see this one being someone completely unexpected.

I don't know all that much about Guendouzi, but I must admit I thought he was more of a  defensive player?

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He said Digne faced uncertain future in same sentence in the article. 

I’m not saying it won’t happen, I just don’t see a scenario where we buy three full backs in the summer window. I think a replacement for Cash is more of a priority for the summer. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How can a journo know who has an uncertain future or not? We need a right back because one of them turns 38 next season and may not even be with us. 

I thought that I had read that Forever Young had signed a 1 year extension about a week ago?  Maybe I just dreamed it...

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The links are nonsense I’m sure, but would anyone take Anthony Gordon?

Yes I would, but I would guess we won't pay what they want and I doubt he would want to come to us either. He's an Everton fan too, so we can expect to see him signing for Liverpool before too long;).

31 minutes ago, WHY said:

Teams currently in the top 3 are all playing at least one centre half at full back. I don’t disagree we need to upgrade the team but I’m not sure it’s that easy to upgrade the full back position unless you spend big money on one. There aren’t loads of decent full backs out there so will come at a premium. I think KKH coached correctly could be the answer we are looking for. He is perfect for the Emery  system. 

Aside from strikers, modern fullbacks and wingers are the next two most expensive positions to fill.

It’s why very few teams have two good wingers and two good fullbacks, too expensive for most teams.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Think that's still true but he has developed a lot at Marseille, he kinda does it all and he's been deployed both as a AM and LW for France. He's another one along with Kamara and Luiz who will be comfortable with the ball at his feet and who has good range of passing. He's also able to switch tempo and get into the box along with his defensive output. 

This is the latest video I found that sums it up pretty nice

I am utterly convinced that this is THE signing we need to be making.  I think with him, Kamara and Luiz we will have three players who can dominate the centre of the pitch - both defensively and also in possession.  Being able to manufacture space in the middle third so that we can provide proper service into the attacking players is (I think) critical to the way that Emery will want us playing.  It also means that our full-backs can drive forwards to support the attack / provide width without having to worry about the fact that if we lose possession our CBs will only have support from one midfielder (which was often the case under our previous manager).  Also means that if any of them get injured we've still got a really, really solid midfield - especially with the likes of Ramsay x 2 and Tim coming through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I’m not saying it won’t happen, I just don’t see a scenario where we buy three full backs in the summer window. I think a replacement for Cash is more of a priority for the summer. 

I think we will sign a new RB that's different to Cash and keep Cash around. I've a feeling Emery wants a ball playing RB who will tuck into midfield more than attack down the line. 

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we will sign a new RB that's different to Cash and keep Cash around. I've a feeling Emery wants a ball playing RB who will tuck into midfield more than attack down the line. 

As much as links to Villarreal players might be lazy I think Emery going back for Juan Foyth might be possible. If the money is right. Not in Jan thou.

25 minutes ago, sne said:

As much as links to Villarreal players might be lazy I think Emery going back for Juan Foyth might be possible. If the money is right. Not in Jan thou.

I’d say so to, would fit well in the system, can play as a third central defender to, which is exactly what Young is doing now depending on the phase of play.

• Like 1