January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, allani said:

I would say our nearest rivals are more Spurs and Everton.  Similar size fan base, similar history / expectations, similar wealth.  We've got some catching up to do with Spurs (but it won't be long before Song and Kane leave and then they have a massive rebuilding job to do) but we've done a much better job than Everton.

This is the way it always was. Chelsea were in our pond too for a long while. We are hot on the tail of Spurs at the moment, Everton have missed out, they had their chance and blew it, there is a lesson to be learned there too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is Zaniolo any good?  He seems to be available, Roma want £35m.

He's a great player when he's on it. Had a bad knee injury when he was absolutely flying a couple of seasons back, broke down in his recovery. Last season had some great spells but this year him and Mourinho appear to have fallen out while Roma struggled at the start of the season. They refused to listen to offers for him in the summer but now he's being allowed to leave. Dortmund or Spurs being the most talked about links for €40m. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tomiyasu would be an excellent signing I feel but can’t see him coming here. 

I was thinking this the other day, getting little minutes at Arsenal still young can play centre back and Right back , would gives a good balance with Moreno being the attacking fullback .

Just now, romavillan said:

He's a great player when he's on it. Had a bad knee injury when he was absolutely flying a couple of seasons back, broke down in his recovery. Last season had some great spells but this year him and Mourinho appear to have fallen out while Roma struggled at the start of the season. They refused to listen to offers for him in the summer but now he's being allowed to leave. Dortmund or Spurs being the most talked about links for €40m. 

Mourinho, falling out with players!? Remarkable! 😆 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m a bit down about selling Ings… but I suppose people have been saying for years we need to sell players when they’re worth something rather than running their contracts down. I suppose Ings may also have said he’d prefer to go as he doesn’t want to be second fiddle which he sort of has been here.

I feel a bit like we sold without a solid replacement, but maybe they’re sort of giving up on the season a bit given we’re safe and will likely be mid table, and then we’ll move big over the summer to give next season the biggest chance of success. 

Window hasn’t closed yet, let’s see how things pan out…

Plenty to play for, we won’t allow the season to fizzle out. Just achieving our first top half finish since promotion would be good but Emery may have his sights set higher… we have a manger who’s actually worth putting some faith in this time…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m a bit down about selling Ings… but I suppose people have been saying for years we need to sell players when they’re worth something rather than running their contracts down. I suppose Ings may also have said he’d prefer to go as he doesn’t want to be second fiddle which he sort of has been here.

I feel a bit like we sold without a solid replacement, but maybe they’re sort of giving up on the season a bit given we’re safe and will likely be mid table, and then we’ll move big over the summer to give next season the biggest chance of success. 

Emery must have something close. 

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Emery must have something close. 

Yeah I hope so. And at the end of the day if Emery said Ings is surplus to requirements (which we don’t know for sure he did) then it’s his call and I do trust him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

THIS...

I used to love posting on VillaTalk, Vital, & TBAR, but I don't even care anymore...  Everyone is so negative lately.  It may be the last decade of being let down over and over and over again, but we should be the most optimistic we've ever been right now.  Minted owners, a genuine world class manager, and the makings of some good football on the pitch already.  I'm imagining a huge rebuild this summer.  Lots of players being shipped out and very big surprising names coming in to play for Emery.  January was never the time to do a big squad shuffle and unless you don't care at all about the money you're spending, like Chelsea right now, you're going to overpay every time.  

I genuinely feel so excited, and what a turnaround from the dross and misery under the previous incumbent.

We needed a shakeup and someone good enough to do it, the appointment of Emery is better than we could ever have expected. What a coup for us, if we can’t kick on and become a formidable side under his leadership (and these owners)… then will we ever? 😆

I’m glad Nassef stepped in, it was needed. Thanks for bringing in a proper manager!

It’ll happen, it’s a process, but it will take time. We will be competitive. Let’s try to enjoy it 😆

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

THIS...

I used to love posting on VillaTalk, Vital, & TBAR, but I don't even care anymore...  Everyone is so negative lately.  It may be the last decade of being let down over and over and over again, but we should be the most optimistic we've ever been right now.  Minted owners, a genuine world class manager, and the makings of some good football on the pitch already.  I'm imagining a huge rebuild this summer.  Lots of players being shipped out and very big surprising names coming in to play for Emery.  January was never the time to do a big squad shuffle and unless you don't care at all about the money you're spending, like Chelsea right now, you're going to overpay every time.  

Great post. Echoes a lot of my thinking. For so long we’ve needed a clearout and when it happens people moan. Or complain about who we are linked with. It’s not quite a hard reset but it’s a statement of intent. I’m excited for the major changes that come our way in the summer.