January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Replace Ings or Watkins in the Leeds game and this new striker gets as many chances to score ie not much

What if the new striker takes up better attacking positions, can stretch the opposition defence better etc?

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

What if the new striker takes up better attacking positions, can stretch the opposition defence better etc?

Honestly don't think any striker on planet would've made difference today as game played out due to lack of supply and yet we scored 2 from much maligned Bailey and Buendia

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Replace Ings or Watkins in the Leeds game and this new striker gets as many chances to score ie not much

I disagree. 

A better striker holds up the ball better. If they've got some pace, they can be a better outlet when under pressure. 

When Watkin plays like he did against Spurs you can see how it helps us build attacks. The problem is he can't do that on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. 

A better striker holds up the ball better. If they've got some pace, they can be a better outlet when under pressure. 

When Watkin plays like he did against Spurs you can see how it helps us build attacks. The problem is he can't do that on a regular basis. 

I agree, I think we missed Ollie last night. If he hadn’t gone off we’d have had a much better outlet. He’d have brought other players into the game more and now we have a midfield worth bringing into the game that can be significant for the team and him. Our shiny new attacking left  back would have also benefited. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Striker is priority number 1 for me. 

Probably something we need to do in the summer. 

Timing is irrelevant imo.  It’s when the right opportunity becomes available or we force to happen.  

Yes January window is hard but so is the summer, we need to do it asap but only when the right opportunity is there.  

I hope that is this window but hopefully the latest in the summer.  Clubs are wanting a striker in this window but in the summer most of them will be wanting one as well.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Timing is irrelevant imo.  It’s when the right opportunity becomes available or we force to happen.  

Yes January window is hard but so is the summer, we need to do it asap but only when the right opportunity is there.  

I hope that is this window but hopefully the latest in the summer.  Clubs are wanting a striker in this window but in the summer most of them will be wanting one as well.

No I agree. 

I just think it will probably be easier in the summer. 

If we can get the right one in now then we absolutely should. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It would seem odd to lose Archer if we don't intend to bring someone in. 

Not really he needed first team football Watkins, Ings, Bailey and Buendia have all played up front under Emery

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Funny looking little fella. Head is too big for his body. Imagine how fast he'd be if he was in proportion.

Anyway he cost Leeds £4m and is 19.

Players are out there. Just need a scouting team.

Had read up about him before and from what I read it sounded like he was a powerhouse forward

I liked him and seems to play with an angry attitude a bit like Zaha. He has nearly 10 caps for Italy already and they have good wide options

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Noah Okafor. @Laughable Chimp @paul514 - what do you think? What do the numbers say? The eye test for me shows he’s the perfect forward for us. 

Not much stats coverage for the austrian league so hard to say. 

tentatively, looks like the lad can finish very well and is a goalscroer but lacks some other all round attributes. I wouldn’t be against going for him but there might be better deals out there.

• Thanks 1

Emi Martinez certainly was a bargain. They don’t need to be teenagers to be classed as this, although they are often seen as more exciting because of the unknown potential factor.

Me for one would love it if we were to integrate more of our young products as regulars in the team. Hopefully K. Young will be one of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think it just makes more sense so we can assess it more with time and not get fleeced by clubs as players will come at a high premium in this window. A inside forward/winger should be the priority next along with a advanced CM/Balanced CM, Carlos coming back mid feb hopefully .

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I think it just makes more sense so we can assess it more with time and not get fleeced by clubs as players will come at a high premium in this window. A inside forward/winger should be the priority next along with a advanced CM/Balanced CM, Carlos coming back mid feb hopefully .

I don’t think the high fleeced is really there in our position.  Plenty of players across Europe whose contracts are coming to an end in the summer and with many clubs suffering financially in the European leagues, they are looking to get a bit of a fee now.  

If the right opportunity comes we can pick up a player rather than fighting a free transfer auction in the summer, similar with players with 18 months on their contract.  If a striker is in that list and Emery likes them, then we can get a good deal and arguably a better deal than the summer.  Obviously the opposite maybe true.  

I think the January transfer expense myth is based on those clubs whose are desperate, struggling and overpay, which we’ve been in a couple of times.  We aren’t there now and can wait but we can certainly act if the right deal presents itself.

Also, Emery is so detailed both in knowing our squad and who he wants, I don’t think time is going to make that much difference.  So for me timing is irrelevant, if the right opportunity happens we should be all over it and hopefully that is asap.  Fans keep saying to wait until next season, every season, we still have half a season this season to make an impact and if no impact happens at least the striker has half a season to settle ready for the charge next season….

• Like 4