January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Where has that Gnonto come from? So freaking annoying, can't stand him. He'd be great at Villa, what a player.

Funny looking little fella. Head is too big for his body. Imagine how fast he'd be if he was in proportion.

Anyway he cost Leeds £4m and is 19.

Players are out there. Just need a scouting team.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Funny looking little fella. Head is too big for his body. Imagine how fast he'd be if he was in proportion.

It's infuriating we seem to be allergic to bargain signings

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Everybody saying Ashley had him in his pocket when he's the reason Leeds scored. He's a hell of a bargain for that price. I don't think he'll ever be anything special, but squad players in the Premier League for £4m? That's good business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

Think today showed that we need another midfielder who can control the ball and the play.  Kamara and Luiz were brilliant but as soon as the ball went to JJ or Emi B we were under pressure and we couldn't get the ball to stick up top.  Having a third player comfortable on the ball will allow more of our triangles to work and is likely to suddenly find someone in space with time to try and make something happen. 

I thought Moreno was pretty good given he's been at the club for less than 48 hours - fantastic "save" and will probably think that he should have buried the match by making it 3-0. 

We clearly need another striker. 

And I can see that having someone fast to swap with Bailey will give us a real threat.

I thought that Konsa and Mings were pretty good - although I am never entirely comfortable when they are trying to knock the ball around at the back!

Completely agree, we should be having more control of possession and protect the ball better rather than lose it so cheaply and so often, thereby inviting sustained pressure. I thought we were past the worst of this but it has reared its ugly head again. In Luiz and Kamara we have players who are more than capable but, as you say, another player that is excellent on the ball and under pressure while being proficient in the pass would really help.

Guendouzi would be a superb signing for us and is also great at carrying the ball while having these aforementioned qualities. Good age and will be able to continue where he left off in terms of having played with Kamara…

Bouba is an amazing player and, while I do rate Douglas highly, I am wondering if he can be a bit too casual at times. As you say, another player to help them out should make a big difference.

Could we also do with adding some extra physicality in there? I’m not sure, ball retention is more of a priority imo. I do like our midfielders to have “silky skills” but there are some players that combine these traits… an imposing presence would be beneficial… maybe more of a leader.

I want to see us focus on building attacks rather than too much of a “hit it long and chase” approach. As we saw today, our forwards/attackers are left too isolated and with too much to do. They don’t have enough strength or pace. To play that way, we need a strong CF that can hold the ball up while being an excellent and reliable finisher.

I’d prefer a more intricate style of play…

Watkins does his best but is too inconsistent and has started to struggle with more physical CBs at times (as well as being an unreliable finisher) and Ings simply cannot fulfil the role of that kind of lone CF, he becomes invisible or a passenger (needs to have players around him that regularly create chances that he can finish) as he was today.

If we can be better in possession we will see much improved performances from the likes of Buendia. Players working in tandem rather than having too much asked of them individually. Attack as a team rather than rely on “moments of magic” 😉😆

Anyway, Unai has been quite open and honest and mentioned a few of these things. I’m encouraged by his comments on how we need to be better in possession. He sees and knows all 🤣 It’s going to take time and a lot of work, we must improve…

I hope he gets the help in terms of some high quality signings before the window shuts, I don’t think our squad is all that great atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Everybody saying Ashley had him in his pocket when he's the reason Leeds scored. He's a hell of a bargain for that price. I don't think he'll ever be anything special, but squad players in the Premier League for £4m? That's good business.

I agree on price but I thought he was very good.

I think he will go in to be a big player, not top tier but a big player for a team outside of the CL

7 hours ago, messi11 said:

What one position do you think needs improving the most? 

Striker.  Both Watkins and Ings are great back ups but we need that difference maker upfront.  Somebody that disrupts the CB’s and can score goals.  Our defence and midfield need an outlet when we are in tough games like yesterday and before Ollie got injured he showed he wasn’t that and nor did Ings.  Ings is better when the game is more balanced or we are creating chances.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Striker.  Both Watkins and Ings are great back ups but we need that difference maker upfront.  Somebody that disrupts the CB’s and can score goals.  Our defence and midfield need an outlet when we are in tough games like yesterday and before Ollie got injured he showed he wasn’t that and nor did Ings.  Ings is better when the game is more balanced or we are creating chances.

I watched the match last night and thought how much we’d benefit from a Beneteke type player. Someone who could lead the line when needed, bring our pacy wide players into the game, but could also bully defenders to take the pressure off his team mates. The fact is we need more of a goal threat, too.

Leeds played a compact midfield unit yesterday that stifled our creativity. Having a striker who would bully defenders would have forced their defensive midfielders to go back and help, creating space for players like Buendia etc. At his best, Watkins can offer something of a nuisance and have the same impact, but I think the team would gain so much confidence by having someone like Season 1 Benteke up there. 

• Like 2

A midfield like the below would be insane, class, composure, youth and tenacity. 

McGinn     Kamara    Luiz     Geundouzi 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Striker is priority number 1 for me. 

Probably something we need to do in the summer. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

A midfield like the below would be insane, class, composure, youth and tenacity. 

McGinn     Kamara    Luiz     Geundouzi 

McGinn is the weak link there I think. Perhaps have Ramsey there instead? I’d like us to go and get a decent box to box CM that can break the lines and perhaps come in for Luiz when the situation demanded it. 

• Like 1