January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

14 minutes ago, burchy said:

McGinn plays CAM in a 4231 for Scotland mostly, where to be fair to him he’s f pretty effective, so perhaps we need to put him firmly as CAM competition for Buendia, if we go with a 4231/442 hybrid

That would suggest we definitely need some more CM options in January, if Sanson is off. 

Scotland have a real hard time scoring goals against any team. They lack quality talent in the attacking areas. McGinn is played there because of a lack of quality options. Ramsey, Buendia, and Coutinho are all better options for us in the number 10 role, if he's a no 10 he shouldn't be getting a look in, and be deemed surplus to requirments.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree for the sheer fact we want to be challenging those European places regularly in the future and not be a mid table and lose their best player every transfer window.  That will still happen more than we would like by the elite teams but we aspire to be more than just a midtable team, so yes let’s buy the next replacement but also buy players that are better than 1st teamers now so we can push up the league.

The critical bit is consistency Nick.....We need to get players in, as close as possible to consistently good, in order to move up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure I agree, he’s playing very strong teams in the friendlies and McGinn is starting and yes friendlies are just friendlies but it’s currently (along with the games before the break) the only evidence of anything.  Peoples views on McGinn  is swaying them that McGinn could be sold but the evidence is he’s getting as much game time and starting as anybody else.  I agree we don’t know what he’s going to do for the rest of the year but evidence to date, McGinn’s a key part of the squad with nothing to suggest he will be sold.  Again, I think he needs to be benched and upgraded but those that keep saying he’s likely/probably will be one of the first out the door, I can see no evidence of that apart from peoples hopes.

With JJ out injured and  Morgan not available plus Dendoncker away McGinn has had to play . I like McGinn i really do but that extra technically gifted midfielder would make a massive difference. We were linked with Mireno a month back.  He is the best bits of McGinn and Gareth Barry in one player. 

Emery will get fed up of patient build up and then us losing the ball when mcginn gets hold of it.

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Based on what? I agree he shouldn’t but I don’t think there is evidence to suggest Emery would’ve done different.

Anyway I’m backing out of this conversation, I never meant to defend McGinn, I just find it strange people think he could go when no evidence suggests that’s true…anyway I’m out of this discussion because I agree he should be benched.

I think it's more in the summer he'll have two years left so he's expendable.

One of those points we reach with player who's been of good service to us but time is right to move on in six months while his value remains relatively high, same for Ollie.

If we're to become possession masters aswell I just don't think McGinn will be consistantly up to it either, at least with Ramsey he brings goal threat from midfield and can play quick 1-2s with our central players to create space and shots so he's a must keep, McGinn probably isn't.

Would you give him a bumper new deal that will take him into his 30s?

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's more in the summer he'll have two years left so he's expendable.

One of those points we reach with player who's been of good service to us but time is right to move on in six months while his value remains relatively high, same for Ollie.

If we're to become possession masters aswell I just don't think McGinn will be consistantly up to it either, at least with Ramsey he brings goal threat from midfield and can play quick 1-2s with our central players to create space and shots so he's a must keep, McGinn probably isn't.

Would you give him a bumper new deal that will take him into his 30s?

I certainly wouldn’t but I’ve said he should be replaced but managers seem to like him and I guess relatively he’s not on much money.  Emery is playing him so far so let’s wait and see but I get the feeling he’ll be lingering around for quite a few more years yet, let’s hope it’s in a back up way.

9 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I for one won’t be disappointed if there aren’t any new signings. Prefer to see what Emery does with the players we have. Can’t judge anyone on the performances under the previous … hmm manager or something. We know we have genuine quality.

Give a proper manager the time to assess everyone, see what youth we have, and then create a good plan for the summer.

Agreed for the most part, but I don’t think it’s going to take him long to realise we need another wide player and possibly a striker too!

24 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I for one won’t be disappointed if there aren’t any new signings. Prefer to see what Emery does with the players we have. Can’t judge anyone on the performances under the previous … hmm manager or something. We know we have genuine quality.

Give a proper manager the time to assess everyone, see what youth we have, and then create a good plan for the summer.

I think Emery will be well ahead of that curve.  He’s so analytical that he’ll already have assessed and made plans for the short and medium term.  

I think if the right player(s) are available in January we will be shopping but equally if they aren’t we won’t.  

I think the short time he’s been here isn’t as much of a factor as it normally would be because he analyses so much data even before he started.  

Plus he’ll have likely players he wants to work with who are currently not at the club whether he’s worked with them before or not and now he has the financially clout to get them.  I bet he’s had players on his radar for years that he can move for now.

It’s all about availability and whether the individual will want to join us.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I think we will just sign a winger(who would have guessed) in January and probably wont even be a permanent deal and then will analyse for the summer

I think Emery is also not as in love with big name players as some of our fans are so I dont expect any coming in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think we will just sign a winger(who would have guessed) in January and probably wont even be a permanent deal and then will analyse for the summer

I think Emery is also not as in love with big name players as some of our fans are so I dont expect any coming in

I agree, I don't think we'll see too many incomings in January.  One at most.

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Does anyone know if WE opted out of Alvarez?

If so... It's starting to look a monumental f*CK up.

It was never realistic - he was waiting for a CL team. He changed agents to help facilitate the move to City. Hence why he stayed in Argentina with a release clubs most bigger European clubs could easily trigger. But didn’t for the reason above. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don’t think anyone knows. I don’t think it was impossible to get him if we really tried though. He was being linked at less than 15m to us, it was not a lot of money at the time.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Not sure any of these rumours are bona fide, but Arnaut Danjuma has got good numbers for a winger.

Has played here, and 25....could be a decent shout.

5 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I don't think that is going to happen.

However, We will soon see, what the managers thoughts really are.....actions speak louder than words.

If no one comes in, he may share your view, if they do, perhaps he doesn't.

I think it is misleading to keep blaming Gerrard for, even if the roof leaks.....He didn't work out granted, but he was only here for a short time.....and some of the players he brought in were good additions, some were not.

I Think despite UE possibly improving the playing outcome( still only 2 league games in).....we still need strengthening.

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I saw an interview with emi martinez where he said something like "I tried to convince alvarez to join villa".

He didn't say much more but it kind of sounded like he tried and failed.

So I took from that we tried and failed to convince him to join us, rather than us deciding not to.

• Like 3

Moving forward, we need to be sure of what we want to be.

We have seen real talent in Phil show the shortfalls of operating in an arduous league where, hard yards are a pre -requisite.

We also have officials who are less likely to protect, The individuals like Phil.

We can't make the mistake, of blinding ourselves with Talent, only to find they end up as passengers.

It might sound cruel, but we have to be realistic.

We all know, that you have to have an abundance of talent in this league, but I sometimes think some forget, you have to have a bit more too, to go with it.

We need to get the next signings right.

Edited by TRO