Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

StefanAVFC

Gerrard in/out post-Man City?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly think these need a 3rd or 4th option.

Like " Let's see how the next 2 game go " 

With a black and white choice it would be pretty difficult for anyone to swing either way off of one result.

Throw in “give him until the international break” like the owners are reportedly doing.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

First 6 games were Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, West Ham, Arsenal and City and we got just 4 points. Don't think it's really smart rolling the dice with the next 6. We've been here before.

Indeed in 2015/2016 - this season has that feel about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

In, at the moment. 

Next six games are Leicester, Soton, Leeds, Forest, Chelsea and Fulham. 

15 points right there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Indeed in 2015/2016 - this season has that feel about it.

It sucks because there's really no reason for us to be. It's all of our own doing. We don't have skint owners and haven't been circling the drain of the league for years. Our squad is actually good. We're rolling the dice with our future because our manager once played a blinder in Istanbul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

If Pochetino is available then we should move for him, sometimes you have to be ruthless like Levy was to when Conte was available.

We should approach everyone we are interested in NOW

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

First 6 games were Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, West Ham, Arsenal and City and we got just 4 points. Don't think it's really smart rolling the dice with the next 6. We've been here before.

Me neither, I never wanted him, I still thought he was crap when he had a good start, I thought he should have gone in the summer......

There is no way back and it would be a stupid bet to let him have the next 5 games.

• Like 1

I'm still 'out', as its only one game. To his credit, he did tweak the system and the changes worked perfectly. Its surprising it takes him to be within an inch of losing his job to actually try something else. Let's see where we are after the Southampton game. For me he needs to win both to even consider keeping him. But if poch wants the job there is no way back for Slippy G. 

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

City could have scored 5 today. I’m thrilled with a point but their wayward finishing shouldn’t change anyone’s views on our manager.

Not really. Besides Haaland's goal, I think Walker was offside for the one he blasted over. KDB did well to even get his FK on to the bar from that range. Don't remember any other heart in mouth moments?

Their xG for the game was 2. It definitely was never a 5 goal game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Not really. Besides Haaland's goal, I think Walker was offside for the one he blasted over. KDB did well to even get his FK on to the bar from that range. Don't remember any other heart in mouth moments?

Their xG for the game was 2. It definitely was never a 5 goal game.

Just watched the highlights one min before posting that and KDB could have had 2 or 3 himself, Haaland another two. “Did well to get his free kick onto the bar”… well KDB tends to do well.

Look I’m thrilled with a point and usually the last to be negative, and I do think we were solid against the best team in the world. I am just saying bigger picture we can’t get carried away with 27% possession and our one shot on target going on! Even if that’s par vs City (losing 3-0 is par to be fair).

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Just watched the highlights one min before posting that and KDB could have had 2 or 3 himself, Haaland another two. “Did well to get his free kick onto the bar”… well KDB tends to do well.

Look I’m thrilled with a point and usually the last to be negative, and I do think we were solid against the best team in the world. I am just saying bigger picture we can’t get carried away with 27% possession and our one shot on target going on! Even if that’s par vs City (losing 3-0 is par to be fair).

They weren't clear cut opportunities, which is why the xG is only 2. Could they have scored more on another day? Of course. But I don't think the scoreline was massively unfair. It wasn't a robbery.

Returning to topic, the main thing that stood out to me was that we played with purpose. It was clear what we were trying to do. Not for the entire 90 mins, for certainly for most of the game.

And besides Bailey's shot on target, we had a very good chance for Ramsey that just needed a slightly better touch on Watkins's inch perfect pass. We also had the Coutinho chance that was a bit of an odd one, who knows how that would have played out if the referee hadn't blown.

Our plan was clearly to hit them on the counter with quick direct passing moves, and we had enough threat to justify that plan. It was one of Gerrard's best games as Villa manager. Can't really take that away from him.

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I was Gerrard Out, but I think based on the way the players played for him today, he might as well get a run of games.

It's much easier to replace a manager at the end of the season (or, perhaps, during a World Cup break).

The big test will be (1) whether he can admit defeat with John McGinn and just build the midfield around Kamara and Luiz, and (2) whether he continues his obsession with narrow formations completely relying on the full backs for width. If he can show some flexibility on these two points (which he did today), then I think he can get this team firing.

I'm not convinced Poch is a realistic target right now, but... look... if we were to land Poch right now and sack Gerrard on Monday, I wouldn't be too upset. It's a strange one. What I wouldn't do is just sack Gerrard for the **** of it and then go on a big manager hunt at a tricky point in the season.

Wow, what a great post. Love how you say “it’s a strange one” because it sums up the confused feelings of many. 

I feel that based on that performance, SG hasn’t ’lost the dressing room’. There is something that can be salvaged, but I feel we need a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games. If we go back to performances like we had in the 5 league games previously, then it’s time for him to indeed go imo.

• Like 1