Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

StefanAVFC

Gerrard in/out post-Man City?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

Out. We’ve had 10 months of mostly rubbish, disturbance and negativity. Not all his fault but he’s been a major contributor. One battling performance doesn’t change that. He deserves some credit for today but a well organised and defensively solid performance against the top teams where we pull off the odd result should really be a minimum requirement. He’s not suddenly going to turn into a master technician and transform our style. It doesn’t matter what happens in the next few games. I can’t see us getting close to where we should be, which is 8th-9th. He’s the wrong man for the job. If we can get a good replacement, he should go now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly think these need a 3rd or 4th option.

Like " Let's see how the next 2 game go " 

With a black and white choice it would be pretty difficult for anyone to swing either way off of one result.

I assume the poll is a point in time after the Man City game, rather than a suggestion that he should be judged based on this one game alone. We are hardly expected to ignore the past 10 months. I doubt many would sack Gerrard based on today’s performance alone. But for me he should go. 

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

These embarrassing spot “polls” on sacking Gerrard are ruining VillaTalk.

What used to  be one of the best, most intelligent, football websites, has degenerated Into a Trumpian, QAnon-style vengeance cult.

As your mentor and hero himself was given to say (about every 5 minutes) 

“SAD”

If that’s your stance, then simply -

Don’t vote in the poll.

Don’t post in the poll thread.

• Like 1

I’ve voted out.

Four points from the next two would put us eight points from eight games. Considering the opposition and the aims for this season is underwhelming.

I think it would just about keep in him post though. 

My worry is we’ll do ok for a few games, then fall apart again by which point our top target as a potential replacement finds employment elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve voted out.

Four points from the next two would put us eight points from eight games. Considering the opposition and the aims for this season is underwhelming.

I think it would just about keep in him post though. 

My worry is we’ll do ok for a few games, then fall apart again by which point our top target as a potential replacement finds employment elsewhere.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I do wonder if we have a top target right now if we were to sack Gerrard in the next couple of games.

I just get a feeling that Pochettino is nailed on for Chelsea as Tuchel won’t be given long.

The crucial thing for me is that, if / when Gerrard goes, the new manager brings his own team with him. None of this leftover coaching staff from 2 different regimes.

Players are still fighting for him. He has made some changes that everyone has been crying out for and gotten the result. Has admitted to somewhat sticking to the long term plan too much and has been quite self reflective. Couldn't ask for much more at this stage.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly think these need a 3rd or 4th option.

Like " Let's see how the next 2 game go " 

With a black and white choice it would be pretty difficult for anyone to swing either way off of one result.

Spot on JV. Making decisions without a better option lined-up could have more damage than removing an ineffective manager immediately.

If the many pennies have finally dropped for Gerrard, and we build some confidence and take a good haul of points in the next 2 games, then he gets more time again. If not, then we need to move him on.

Gerrard will have learnt more as a manager in this start to the season, than in his career to date. Last season he got a bit of a free pass for stopping the rot. This season, the expectations were high and there were no hiding places. Thus far, he's failed - badly. Yesterday showed that he has some capacity to learn and adapt, and if that continues then he should get the chance to try and save our season.

That said, the club needs to know now whether or not a better manager (Poch) is potentially available to us. If he is, then we should take the chance to upgrade.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

He still picked Konsa and McMeatball.

But the game plan was sound and pretty well executed. 

I'm still not at all convinced he is good enough.

I've voted OUT.

The biggest change I saw was that McGinn came off - not Luiz, not JJ.

That suggests something has clicked in that mind of his.

Yesterday’s improvement gives the club some breathing space and possibly shows any potential candidates that the squad they’d inherit is capable and not a complete basket case. 

One swallow and all that, if we move forward from here and show consistency, whilst accumulating points then he’s earned more time. A couple of decent results then back to the confused dross and we’re back to square one. 

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

What used to  be one of the best, most intelligent, football websites, has degenerated Into a Trumpian, QAnon-style vengeance cult.

“SAD”

I've been on VT for over a decade and these polls are standard fare on here when things start to get dicey for a manager. 

I think what's cultish is when people choose to turn a blind eye to ever-mounting evidence and instead stick to their guns on certain issues because they already made their minds up long ago. 

• Like 4

Still Gerrard out, this is not going to change for me now regardless of results. 1 draw doesn’t change a thing and if we don’t back it up against Leicester and Southampton then the result becomes pointless. Them 2 are winnable fixtures and I’d much rather have a new man in charge for those, especially since Leicester may sack Rodgers tomorrow if they lose to Brighton. 

Gerrard has proven over the last 10 months, when the onus is on us to break teams down we don’t look like scoring. We can’t play the type of football (will no doubt be the same against Liverpool) we did yesterday for the other 34 games. He needs to go. 

• Like 1

Out!

we've lost to a Bournemouth team that will be relegated. Lost to West Ham at home despite them being bottom of the table at the time. Got played off the park by Crystal Palace. Arsenal lucky to have only lost 2-1- 4-1 would have be a more reflective score for Arsenal.

Scraped over the line against  Everton at home.  

There is enough there to shoe SG isn't the man to take us forward

41 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Players are still fighting for him. He has made some changes that everyone has been crying out for and gotten the result. Has admitted to somewhat sticking to the long term plan too much and has been quite self reflective. Couldn't ask for much more at this stage.

The fact he was the last person to realise it is concerning for future issues if he stays.  You want your manager to be one of the first to spot the issues not the last.

Not convinced the players are fighting for him specifically, just like lower league teams up their game when they play PL teams in the cup, our players wanted to prove themselves against arguably the best club team in world football.  They need to have the same level of performance against weaker teams coming up, something they haven’t shown so far this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

“SAD”

Its just a poll mate! I didn't realise it had the power to turn a whole forum into a 'Trumpian, QAnon-style vengeance cult' 😂😂😂

I think it's interesting to see how it reflects changing views based on what the result is and the general feeling about Gerrard from the fan base. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

Gerrard out until he gets to a 35 percent win  rate minimum. We cannot get carried away by a **** point. 

We do have good players   but they havent performed consistently for months and months.  

Getting to say 13th place will not be an achievement.  Thats what our squad should get to while sleepwalking. 

• Like 2