Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

StefanAVFC

Gerrard in/out post-Man City?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard in/out post-Man City?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get you.

As you may understand, the peeps who want to lean more positive will tend to want to get carried away with the positive, and vice versa.

( Bloody out of likes again )

Mods do donations get you more likes?

Asking for myself!

I was more 'in' due to the fact that I have to trust the club to do the right thing as they hold a massive information advantage over us. 

I have always been doubtful and felt that SG probably isn't the one to take us forward, and one game won't change my stance here. 

Him and the lads really needs to show, not tell. If they don't I think the club will get rid. 

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think this league is easy to wash away a poor start in a few games.......If we continue with this mentality, we will move away from the danger zone.

I don't think this league allows you to correct  a few bad results, we a few good ones...it taks a gradual, raising of the bar,to get back in the groove.

I equally, don't thik we can keep sacking managers after a spell in choppy waters, or we can rest on our laurels if we go on winning streak.

Success, is gradual and in this league a grind.....You don't blow teams away, unless you are exceptional, its an arduous path of gradual improvement.

This poor start, will not define our season, just as a few wins won't either.......He has to be allowed to get on with his job......and that means fighting back, when we are struggling, and taking the good times in his stride, and building on that even more.

A managers job, takes in so many aspects....it takes time, focus, and you have to be allowed to manage through adversity.

If we come through this poor start, he will be a better manager for it.

I saw those players, battling yesterday, on his watch....Bailey, came out in support of him as did JM, both new signings, mentioned him in their interviews.

We need to calm our jets a tad, and let him, or any manager........Manage.

I was reminded once when I was a manager........If everything is rosey, why do we need you?

I agree almost entirely.  But there are also definite similarities to the Smith situation.  This isn't just about the start to this season.  You can't not look at the wider picture which shows that we have been in decline (in terms of ppg and also general performance) for at least three months now.  Gerrard is under pressure to show that he can stop that decline and ultimately reverse it - getting us back to a position where we are performing in line with expectations (i.e. an improvement on 14th and hopefully much closer to 10th).

I think our summer recruitment was quite decent (although I am slightly underwhelmed by the last couple of weeks) but up until yesterday our lack of balance in midfield was being ignored and we were getting punished down to the same issues time and time again.  To be fair - yesterday was a step in the right direction.  JJ playing further forward and Kamara getting more support from Luiz meant that there were fewer holes in our defence.  Taking off McGinn was also the right decision - and a brave decision to be fair.

However, 4 points from 6 matches is still a big issue in terms of this season.  If it is 4 from 8 then it is a huge problem - I don't even think that 6 from 8 is enough (when you look at last year too).  There has to be a point at which the manager needs to get results to get more time.  Gerrard is at that point.  Hopefully, he does get that up turn in performance, attitude, results, etc - if so then he will definite benefit as a manager and hopefully be quicker at addressing similar runs in the future.  The international break is an obvious point to assess whether Gerrard has done enough to start turning things around or not.  But unless he gets results soon the Board will act - just like they did with Smith after a similar lengthy period of generally poor results (30+ matches).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I see the Gerrard in votes and be like....

See the source image

:crylaugh:

Yeah I don’t understand the change in voting.  

Just as if a manager has a long good run and then a bad game or two I don’t change to wanting him out and so in this situation we’ve had all this calendar year of poor run but then a draw against the Champions and this sees >20% have changed their vote to ‘In’…the mind boggles.

Obviously people change their minds all the time but you’d assume people would want more evidence than one game to change their vote.  

The game by game also makes no sense, surely you’d want to see consistency over a period to change from ‘Out’ to ‘In’.  If we lose to Leicester do this people change to ‘Out’ again and then beat Southampton and they are ‘In’ again.  Call us the Hokey Cokey fans.

Deciding a manager’s future on a game by game basis isn’t really serious. I’d rather look back at what’s been accomplished so far, the general trajectory and look for systematic changes that could be long lasting.

I admit I wanted to give SG more time at the end of last season, give him the summer and another window, in the hope more time on the training pitch could perhaps make a real difference. When that turned out not to be the case, he’d had his chances in my book. Every week he stays now only delays the inevitable and makes things worse.

Yesterday was a fine performance, in line with Villa’s recent tendency to perform better against the top sides (last season Liverpool at home, both Man City games and Spurs at home). The difference this time was we managed to not only perform but also get a point. This proves our team is relatively capable! A good manager could do interesting things with it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I see the Gerrard in votes and be like....

See the source image

:crylaugh:

21 minutes ago, Farlz said:

If there was ever a thread to prove just how massively fickle Villa fans are :lol:

Good result and performance against a " poor " Man City as you put it, making fans feel better after a dark time ' shocker " 😮.

It's still 74 percent out.

For example, if Ollie scored the winner yesterday, after a good performance, would you have been happy, or preferred if we bombarded his thread talking about how shit he's been since last season?

We watch football to be happy at the end of the day ffs.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 comebacks from behind if you include Man Utd, Rennes pre-season, Bolton in the cup and City yesterday. They do seem to be fighting a bit more. Maybe Critchley’s influence and tactics will shine through in the coming weeks. Im not convinced at all by Gerrard. Our performances and results in the next 2 determine his fate imo

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

4 comebacks from behind if you include Man Utd, Rennes pre-season, Bolton in the cup and City yesterday. They do seem to be fighting a bit more. Maybe Critchley’s influence and tactics will shine through in the coming weeks. Im not convinced at all by Gerrard. Our performances and results in the next 2 determine his fate imo

You’re not serious in this? 2 preseason games and a lower league team to say this point? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still out. 

The next few games will show us if things have truly changed. 

Getting a plucky point from a game you're not expected to won't get us top half. Winning games we are expected to will. 

So far, for the vast majority of his time here he's not come close to doing this. So at this point, until that changes he's still got to go for me. 

Great result but playing Man City is basically just a one off in terms of their quality and how you have to approach the game. Hopefully the players can take confidence out of the game and start improving now, but I don’t think the game yesterday is any indication of Gerrard’s credentials as manager in the long term, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, allani said:

I agree almost entirely.  But there are also definite similarities to the Smith situation.  This isn't just about the start to this season.  You can't not look at the wider picture which shows that we have been in decline (in terms of ppg and also general performance) for at least three months now.  Gerrard is under pressure to show that he can stop that decline and ultimately reverse it - getting us back to a position where we are performing in line with expectations (i.e. an improvement on 14th and hopefully much closer to 10th).

I think our summer recruitment was quite decent (although I am slightly underwhelmed by the last couple of weeks) but up until yesterday our lack of balance in midfield was being ignored and we were getting punished down to the same issues time and time again.  To be fair - yesterday was a step in the right direction.  JJ playing further forward and Kamara getting more support from Luiz meant that there were fewer holes in our defence.  Taking off McGinn was also the right decision - and a brave decision to be fair.

However, 4 points from 6 matches is still a big issue in terms of this season.  If it is 4 from 8 then it is a huge problem - I don't even think that 6 from 8 is enough (when you look at last year too).  There has to be a point at which the manager needs to get results to get more time.  Gerrard is at that point.  Hopefully, he does get that up turn in performance, attitude, results, etc - if so then he will definite benefit as a manager and hopefully be quicker at addressing similar runs in the future.  The international break is an obvious point to assess whether Gerrard has done enough to start turning things around or not.  But unless he gets results soon the Board will act - just like they did with Smith after a similar lengthy period of generally poor results (30+ matches).

I think the reference to Smiths results are fair...It is much the same, but it also, much the same players too....but with different coaching staff.

Both managers have had similar bad runs and decent runs.....its just inconsistent and frustrating, losing by the odd goal in the main....that to me is a mentality, belief problem, aided and abetted, by some consistent errors from defenders....much the same, time and again.

However, I think they both have presided over an imbalanced team, that might be starting to be fixed.

Last seasons 6 final games, we only lost 1 against Man city, and nearly won that, only for errors at the back post, once again.....but I do get your overall point.

I would like to say this......Managers will sink or swim, by results, but equally managers will also be given time to manage situations, we are not always privvy to.....Now the time that takes, will only be known by his bosses.

Excuses, can also be reasons, depending on the ears they fall on.....They will know, whether he is on borrowed time, of whether, he is working his way through issues, they were aware of.

In my experience, if you had plausible reasons, why results, were not forthcoming reasonable bosses, will Listen and give you time to manage and ask for a plan.......but then, they could also manage you too,with that plan,  to ascertain, whether the reasons really were bonafide or imposters to excuses....its called "performance management"

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Its a results business....and that just about says it all....thats what managers have to find.....It will define his in or out predictions.

But I have seen a difference in parts of our performances, over the last 3 games.....I have seen a willingness to compete and fight and that is heartening.

There is still a tendency for schoolboy errors in defending and if we don't deal with it, it will undo any belief we are trying to muster.

but I see a chink of light, in our dark play.....I just hope we can build on it.....and eradicate, these frustrating gifts, we keep offering opponents.

• Like 1

While some have changed their mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people have voted in this poll but not the previous one.

I didn’t vote in the first two, I was on the fence, thinking it was time to consider options but not yet being fully “out”. 

Stands to reason that there would be a few tentatively on the other side of the fence.

Don't like him, didn't want him. Unproven manager in this league. Yes, last night was good to see but then I think of the Bournemouth, Palace and wet spam games and at the moment they well outweigh the citeh result for me.

Am all for him proving me wrong in the next few games but I worry we'll revert to type.

If an experienced ex prem lge manager is available then go get him, whoever it is (not fat Sam or pardew !)

• Like 4