Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

On 14/03/2023 at 10:15, useless said:

If we reach Europe that will be an excellent bonus, but it shouldn't be considered an expectation or a disappointment if it doesn't happen, because Emery came with ten games of the season already gone, so was handicapped.

If we finish top eight that will have been a really good effort, any kind of top half finish will be good if look at the bigger picture, as it has been over ten years since we last did so, up until a month or so back people were moaning that we seemed to be forever stuck in eleventh place and that a top half finish seemed unlikely, now we just need one more point or for Chelsea to drop one more point to guarantee top ten.

if we could have known we would have a good chance of a top eight finish with just three games to go when Emery was appointed I'm pretty sure most would have been very happy with that and surprised we could do so well so quickly, to get to this position we've had to show excellent form, probably not far off top four form, as above we've just been handicapped by the fact that Emery didn't have first ten games of the season.

• Like 2

Just now, Farlz said:

A complete overhaul isn't needed whatsoever. 

Probably 3 quality players is what we need. 

Exactly this. It is over, but there's a danger of overreacting here. This manager and this group of players have done brilliantly just to even get close. We need a few quality additions, not a whole new squad. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Haha.  Yep so lucky to shut them out so they could only have 1 shot in 90 minutes that was off target.  I think we have a different idea of what a lucky win is.

We lost 1-0 to Man Utd who have lost once at Old Trafford all season.  Drew away at Brentford who have only lost twice at home all season.

We have played just as bad the last two games and lost them both. We have scored a mighty total of 1 goal in the last three

But hey ho we wernt lucky in that game 

Oh well fun while it lasted.

The usual case of just when we get onto the national conscious radar we run out of steam.

The goals have dried up and presently our squad depth is not big enough to mix the side up. We need to invest and go again next season and learn how to deal with raised expectations.

• Like 1

That’s probably it I think. Been a good run and I’m sure Emery will be fuming but we can not break down low blocks. Set pieces not good enough and in possession just no ideas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

If we finish top eight that will have been a really good effort, any kind of top half finish will be good if look at the bigger picture, as it has been over ten years since we last did so, up until a month or so back people were moaning that we seemed to be forever stuck in eleventh place and that a top half finish seemed unlikely, now we just need one more point or for Chelsea to drop one more point to guarantee top ten.

if we could have known we would have a good chance of a top eight finish with just three games to go when Emery was appointed I'm pretty sure most would have been very happy with that and surprised we could do so well so quickly, to get to this position we've had to show excellent form, probably not far off top four form, as above we've just been handicapped by the fact that Emery didn't have first ten games of the season.

It's similar to what Newcastle did 12 months ago. They had an amazing run between February up to end of April and then ran out of steam a little and finished I think 9th.

They added Pope, Botman and Isak and have been in the top 6 for 90% of the season.

We have terrific building blocks now. Defence hasn't conceded more than one goal in a game for three months. Midfield has really improved with McGinn and Luiz so hopefully Kamara won't keep on picking up injuries and that can be a settled selection with another signing to raise the quality.

It all comes down to the final third. We don't have as many reliable match winners as other teams. We need to find someone who can score 8-10 and also assist a few goals. Bailey has scored 4 league goals and Buendia 5 so someone from domestic or abroad that can double their output over a season. Then 6th place is a serious possibility.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Bit of an overaction. We've conceded about 4 goals in three months.

Problem is final third. We're trying to finish above sides with likes of Salah, Diaz, Kane, Son, Mitoma etc.

We need more than Buendia and Bailey who by now we see haven't got the level to play well for 5-6 games and be matchwinners consistantly.

Summer window is there to correct that.

We need another goal threat - Ollie is great when he is running onto the ball / at defences.  But in matches like today he's not smart enough in the box.  Stop Ollie and there is a good chance you stop us and to stop Ollie defending deep tends to work well.  But 8th is still way beyond my expectations for this season.  Although if we win our last two home matches anything is still possible. 😉

• Like 1

Think it is over and deep down thought it would be a step too far for us. But win next week and who knows. Still would’ve snatched your hands off for top 10 at the start of the season. 

Just now, deeps said:

Think it is over and deep down thought it would be a step too far for us. But win next week and who knows. Still would’ve snatched your hands off for top 10 at the start of the season. 

Win next week and we're level with Spurs with hardly anything in the goal difference.

Leeds only lost 2-1 away to Man. City so Spurs winning away to Leeds on final day isn't a done deal at all and I think Brentford will be tricky for them to beat aswell.

They draw their final two games and we're in europe with two home wins.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I think that's probably the season done.  It's the hope that kills you isn't it? 

Felt today was quite telling.  We were the better side and we probably didn't deserve to lose (we thrashed em on xG!) but the Newcastle performance made everybody take a close look at Villa and now they aren't biting when we try to bait the press and we look bereft of ideas.  My mind goes to the very early days of Klopp at Liverpool where they looked great in big games but couldn't do anything against a low block, but of course was on them to figure that out and now it's on Emery to figure it out too.  Maybe this is the limitations of the squad starting to show,  Carlos and Kamara getting minutes was great but it seems this was a week to early for either of them to have any meaningful impact and at the front maybe we are seeing the limitations of Watkins when he can't get isolated against a defender and Buendia when he's asked to unpick a crowded defence.   It's still basically Dean Smith's team on the pitch and it might take a summer window to really allow Emery to do what he needs to do.  

This right here...  We need better players in attack to break down teams that park the bus.  Wolves basically defended like we do when we try to close out a game in a 6-3-1.  Our squad is designed to defend and counterattack and we don't have the guile and technical ability yet to carve teams apart in tight spaces like the other big teams do.  

It was nice whilst it lasted, but its over now. Reckon we will make a good go of things next season with a full transfer window and pre season under Emery. Unfortunately the players aren't quite ruthless enough for where we want to go, and thats fine, we will evolve and improve the squad in the summer.

From where we started, it is an amazing feat to end up where we have. I need to be careful not to offend too many of the snowflakes though, criticism is not warranted in some quarters! Ultimately we still have that soft underbelly which needs to be excised if we want to achieve our potential, both the owners and managers will know this and we will achieve good things in the next few years. Its good to offer constructive criticism as a fan and not just toe the happy clapper line, we will learn from this and be better

• Like 1

I think that's it for Europe, but hey, we can't complain.  He had a mountain to climb to haul us up the table.  It's not often we're at the end of a season still playing for something. Big push for next season. Can't wait.

• Like 1

3 weeks ago we had an outside slim chance of getting CL. However the pressure has gotten to some of the players and we haven’t been able to sustain the momentum to even get 7th. 

It’s been a fantastic run under Don Unai and next season will see us sustain a challenge. We need 3/4 champion players who can play under pressure to raise the level of the squad. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not over, but it feels like it and I’m usually positive. I can’t lie I do feel deflated, but I’m proud of the lads. We’ve just hit a wall due to fatigue/pressure of expectations etc. 

Let’s have an amazing summer window and try again next year! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

3 weeks ago we had an outside slim chance of getting CL. However the pressure has gotten to some of the players and we haven’t been able to sustain the momentum to even get 7th. 

It’s been a fantastic run under Don Unai and next season will see us sustain a challenge. We need 3/4 champion players who can play under pressure to raise the level of the squad. 

Yes it shows a lot of them dont have the fight or mental ability to handle the pressure something we have struggled with for years.

My biggest concern is in both derbies we have shown a lack of passion. What i would do for a mellberg grealish or even **** gabby ( a cretin but fir the derbies he put his all in)

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

8th-9th is still an amazing turn around from Slippy G's mess.  I'm still over the moon with Emery's start so far.  

8th has always been ourost likely position, and still excellent 

7th still an outside possibility if we can beat Tottenham and Brighton though 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN