Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't think we've a hope of beating United, Spurs, Liverpool or Brighton tbh, and I believe the tide elsewhere is turning against us. That just leaves Wolves that I think we'll beat.

I'm not trolling, I've just seen all this before — people said the same shit the year we missed out on CL under O'Neill, that we were in great form, it was all in our hands and there's no way we'd throw it away, and then the teams around us went on unbelievable runs and we began to struggle against their quality.

It's the Villa way. Luck is never on our side, and when given control over our own destiny, we promptly cock it up.

I don't think we'll get Europe either but I find it absolutely bizarre that you don't think we have a hope of beating any of those teams. The Spurs and Brighton games in particular are definitely winnable.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hope we have a better scenario than that!

We wouldn't have a hope of finishing above Brighton on final day if we were three points off them as their GD is miles better so would require a very big win. They still have loads of tough fixtures left so fair play to them if they pull clear of us.

Spurs could just draw/win at Leeds in desperate relegation situation so needing them to lose and us to win to go above them isn't a great situation either.

We need to beat Spurs at VP and then we can keep them at arms length as I don't think they'll win both the Palace and Brentford home games.

Well hopefully can get something tomorrow or at Anfield. I’m thinking more likely tomorrow as if villa do get something tomorrow and Man Utd lose to Brighton then Liverpool might think they can still finish top 4 going in our game. 

7 minutes ago, RichW said:

Well hopefully can get something tomorrow or at Anfield. I’m thinking more likely tomorrow as if villa do get something tomorrow and Man Utd lose to Brighton then Liverpool might think they can still finish top 4 going in our game. 

I think we can get 7 points from Spurs-Wolves-Brighton regardless of how the two aways go. Think I've predicted 1-1 tomorrow but Man. United could easily go a goal or two up early on and then it's a big struggle for us.

Good way to look at things is we need to get 60 points minimum to make europe, anything less and we'll need a few favourable results from elsewhere e.g Spurs probably not to win either of their home games left.

2 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

I think Brentford have just thrown their hat into the ring too. Certainly complicates matters in my opinion 

Nah, too far behind by four points, one less game and have to play Liverpool away and City at home in two of their four games. No chance, we’d have to get no points to be below them imo.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Brighton still have to play Man City and Arsenal. Are people seriously suggesting they won't drop points?

Idiots.

Even if they drop those points, that would be their two games in hand, and we aren't going to win all of ours. lol

Again, Brighton are well capable of getting points against the top teams as well.

We will see though, anything is possible.

7 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

I think Brentford have just thrown their hat into the ring too. Certainly complicates matters in my opinion 

They play Liverpool next weekend, if they can get a result it could help us.

Brentford can get max 62 points and they have to play Tottenham and ManC.

Brenford overtaking us, is as likely as we overtaking ManU, both require the chased team to collapse and the chaser to overperform.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even if they drop those points, that would be their two games in hand, and we aren't going to win all of ours. lol

Again, Brighton are well capable of getting points against the top teams as well.

Same as my previous reply, they've got two other games against opposition as tough as ours.

Then we have one maybe more difficult game against spurs, depending on which spurs turn up, and then a final game against them.

I'm not saying we should ignore them,  or that we'll definitely finish above them, but the doom and gloom because they beat a Wolves team that were relegation candidates until last week is bizarre. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Dammit, my prediction of Brighton losing it was rather inaccurate. Still think it could go down to the final day.

I'm almost certain it will.  And I think if it does that game is going to be an absolute cracker. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit confident we'd win it, but I'd be hopeful and take it if you offered it me now.

Assuming it was the 6th place decider that is.

Imagine that scenario and then if we lose spurs can also overtake us and we could end up 8th. Would be gutting but still a success of a season and monumental achievement by Emery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Winning all our remaining matches is unlikely, but what we have been doing lately, have been pretty unlikely too.

8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games, that is league winning form.

The BBC pundits are predicting that we go to Old Trafford and get 3 points, who would have thought that would ever happened.

Things are not normal in Premier League this year, maybe we can surprise again and win the next 5, or maybe we go back to Villa of old and lose all 5, who knows.

I would rather dream we can do it, than already now be disappointed because it is difficult and we would never make it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm almost certain it will.  And I think if it does that game is going to be an absolute cracker. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit confident we'd win it, but I'd be hopeful and take it if you offered it me now.

Assuming it was the 6th place decider that is.

Imagine that scenario and then if we lose spurs can also overtake us and we could end up 8th. Would be gutting but still a success of a season and monumental achievement by Emery.

Just realised this will be a home game as well!

The place would/should be absolutely rocking if this is on the line.

Today changes nothing. Brentford were always likely to beat Forest, plus they’re highly unlikely to catch us anyway. Brighton were also likely to beat Wolves. Their bigger challenges are to come. 

A defeat tomorrow is also unlikely to make that much difference in what is arguably our toughest game remaining. We do have a chance of winning though and that would really be a blow to the other teams around us and thus I only see tomorrow as a massive opportunity.

Whatever happens it’s ace being a Villa fan at the moment. Enjoy it Villans,

• Thanks 1