Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

20 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

So hang on - FA Cup slot now goes to the league, as does United’s League Cup slot - so is that Europa League down to 7th and Europa Conference 8th? Or am I missing a twist in the rules?

Europa league for 5th & 6th and Europa Conference for 7th, irrespective of west ham or man city winning a European trophy - As long as man Utd and Man city qualify for Europe via the league (which they will). If west ham win the conference then they will get an additional Europa league spot, meaning the Premier League would have 8 representatives in Europe next season - top 7 In the league and west ham. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yikes, Brighton has 3 games in hand on us 😲 

Their games in hand are Man. United at home, Man. City at home and Newcastle away.

If they get one point from those three they won't be above us and they also have Arsenal away. And us on the final day. I also think they'll draw a few games to those battling relegation. Forest aren't terrible at home so I'm hopeful if they score first they won't lose that.

I think Brighton in the end will finish on about 60/61 points so very good chance for us with a win on Tuesday.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t understand why some people don’t want the Conference League? For me I guess it’s the best one to go to, and could have a good chance to win it. We haven’t win something for almost 30 years. It also has less games than Europa which has some good teams, added to teams coming from CL. I won’t say no to it ofcourse, but Conference league is still interesting. Could give us a chance to adjust the squad aswell.

Also a good way to get into the Europa for the season after if we dont get top 6. Not to be sniffed at.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Europa league for 5th & 6th and Europa Conference for 7th, irrespective of west ham or man city winning a European trophy - As long as man Utd and Man city qualify for Europe via the league (which they will). If west ham win the conference then they will get an additional Europa league spot, meaning the Premier League would have 8 representatives in Europe next season - top 7 In the league and west ham. 

Lol that’s a bit insane. Might as well let the whole league play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Lol that’s a bit insane. Might as well let the whole league play. 

It's normally just top 5, but because the league cup and fa cup winners will qualify through the league then the extra places go to 6th and 7th. Good for us! 

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t understand why some people don’t want the Conference League? For me I guess it’s the best one to go to, and could have a good chance to win it. We haven’t win something for almost 30 years. It also has less games than Europa which has some good teams, added to teams coming from CL. I won’t say no to it ofcourse, but Conference league is still interesting. Could give us a chance to adjust the squad aswell.

My theory is that people, particularly of a certain age group, associate the word “conference” in a football context with the Vauxhall Conference and similar.

If it was called the “Epic Badass League” or whatever I think there would be less resistance.

Spoiler

I’m joking.

Spoiler

Well, half joking.

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Brighton will have 5 games in 15 days at the end of the season - Sun/Thu/Sun/Wed/Sun the last of those is at VP.

The other 4 are Arsenal, Newcastle, Southampton and Man City

If they take a load of points from that they'll deserve them

Look at their bench today:

Undav, Veltman, Colwill, Ayari, Billy Gilmour (yes he's still alive), Van Hecke, Buonanotte, Offiah.

Some talented kids but very inexperienced for prem level so they're really got limited options to rotate and Welbeck limped off so unless Evan Ferguson is fit they'll be starting Undav upfront at Forest and he really isn't premier league standard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes you make very good points. It would be huge progress for us to be in that and a stepping stone to better things 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Look at their bench today:

Undav, Veltman, Colwill, Ayari, Billy Gilmour (yes he's still alive), Van Hecke, Buonanotte, Offiah.

Some talented kids but very inexperienced for prem level so they're really got limited options to rotate and Welbeck limped off so unless Evan Ferguson is fit they'll be starting Undav upfront at Forest and he really isn't premier league standard.

Yes and the effects of losing a Fa cup semi on penalties could play a part. 

26 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

Also a good way to get into the Europa for the season after if we dont get top 6. Not to be sniffed at.

That’s one part, the other is we don’t have to worry too much if we’re challenging for top 4, and a cup. The amount of games and especially tough games would be less. We could depend more on Duran and Archer. 
I don’t mind challenging for Europa, even if it affected our league form. But it would be tough to win it. We’ll mostly have Liverpool with us, 

Utd, Newcastle and Arsenal could join aswell from the CL. Not sure how we’d handle the pressure of each fixture there. CL for me is easier as we’re underdogs there. Have a good chance to get third then moved to Europa. 

Anyway, huge game against Fulham hopefully we could win it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My theory is that people, particularly of a certain age group, associate the word “conference” in a football context with the Vauxhall Conference and similar.

If it was called the “Epic Badass League” or whatever I think there would be less resistance.

Reveal hidden contents

I’m joking.

Reveal hidden contents

Well, half joking.

Lol. That could be one of the reasons, the other is the teams there aren’t fancy. But to be honest, thats better and makes it easier to win it. 

• Like 1