Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d rather have it in our own hands.  If we don’t do enough then it’s on us.  

Getting sixth but losing the Europa League place would be more heartbreaking from an emotional point of view.  

From a logic/mathematical point of view I understand your point and agree all that matters is league position and lowering our risk in one game may be of benefit to us to that league placing.

I don’t see Brighton finishing lower than 6th anyway.

we might need to beat them on the last day to even get 7th, them having a cup final 5 days later would give us an advantage.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Do we? I wouldn’t mind Brighton having a huge game 5 days after they play us on the final day.

Me too, I have full confidence that city beat them in the final

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We want United winning so we guarantee an extra place to LEague for Europa league

I can't see them doing it the way they are playing. Disjointed and losing possession all the time because they are dwelling on the ball too long and can't find a teamate with a pass to save their lives. 

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don’t see Brighton finishing lower than 6th anyway.

we might need to beat them on the last day to even get 7th, them having a cup final 5 days later would give us an advantage.

Brighton are playing so well but they have so many fixtures in such a short time and another 30 minutes now, it’s going to be tough for them.  

To be honest, still so many points to play for…just a month ago we were talking about finishing top 10, now we are talking about overtaking Spurs.  Many things could happen still.

On 22/04/2023 at 18:33, Kiwivillan said:

Just played 2 of the worst teams in the league

tbh i think Liverpool have one of the easiest run ins.

Just played Forest and Leeds, and their final 7 games are West Ham, Spurs, Fulham, Brentford, Leicester, us and Southampton.

i tend to think Liverpool will be 5th by the end of the season, unless they mess up badly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

some very tired legs out there from both sides, hopefully both sides drop points midweek. 

Man. United playing Spurs away so I'd rather they win 4-0.

You'd like to think playing Thursday evening they'll flag a bit for Sunday lunchtime v us especially as we have 48 hours extra recovery over them.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

So hang on - FA Cup slot now goes to the league, as does United’s League Cup slot - so is that Europa League down to 7th and Europa Conference 8th? Or am I missing a twist in the rules?

At start of season it's 5th place for europa and then two slots for the cups. If surprise teams win those cups then it stays like that e.g. 2007 when we finished 6th but had to go in Intertoto as Portsmouth and Spurs won.

If teams win the cups and don't finish below 5th then 6th and 7th quality through league, first two europa league and 7th Conference.

As I've said before no idea what happens if West Ham win europa conference as that gives them europa league spot for next season so not sure if 6th gets downgraded to Conference then.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As I've said before no idea what happens if West Ham win europa conference as that gives them europa league spot for next season so not sure if 6th gets downgraded to Conference then.

If West Ham win the conference league they qualify for Europe League. And that is that, no impact on the top 7 that qualify for Europe as normal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At start of season it's 5th place for europa and then two slots for the cups. If surprise teams win those cups then it stays like that e.g. 2007 when we finished 6th but had to go in Intertoto as Portsmouth and Spurs won.

If teams win the cups and don't finish below 5th then 6th and 7th quality through league, first two europa league and 7th Conference.

West ham will be given a place in europa league, but it will be an additional place i.e not affecting 5th n 6th or 7th for conference

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

If West Ham win the conference league they qualify for Europe League. And that is that, no impact on the top 7 that qualify for Europe as normal. 

O.k so three of us going into europa league then and just one into Conference league rather than two each.

Basically now we're playing to finish above Spurs (very good chance of that if we can get ahead of them on Tuesday evening) and Brighton (will go 5 points clear of them if we beat Fulham so that's a decent lead even if they'll have 40 games in hand on us).

If Liverpool can mess up a few more games in the run in that will be very helpful. West Ham won't roll over so they'll really have to earn the win down there.

• Like 1