Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have to take it game by game but we simply have to beat Fulham. I can’t envisage a scenario where we lose to Fulham and still finish in the top 7. The teams around us just have too many games to play and enough quality to see it through. 

Beat Fulham and see where we’re at. It may even be that we need to go to United and get all 3 points. 

I mean if we lose to Fulham them and Brentford will start thinking they can catch us... We've had to pull out basically league winning form to even get into the conversation and asking to try and maintain it for another 7 games is practically impossible. We've got a point away at Brentford and could have won it, and that is a very tricky place to go they've only lost a couple at home all season. Isolated it's not a bad result at all but being as people were thinking we were going to keep winning all the games they are looking like it's some sort of negative which is crazy. We're probably going to end up on around 58-60 points

If we'd have Emery all season and you would think we'd have beat Bournemouth, west ham and forest early season and so with another 8 points on the board would have been a valuable point in push for 4th. 

I'm just thankful we're not facing this run in with 28 points or less on the board which would have been a reality with the former clown

• Like 3

Big week in the race. Lots of teams playing each other.

Spurs are away at Newcastle today, home to United, then away at Anfield. 

on current form it’s certainly the end of any talk of top 4 for them and a bad week could drop them 2 or 3 places.

that puts additional importance on our remaining home matches, especially Spurs and Brighton. (Although we do need 3 from Tuesday night)😀

All still to play for!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why do you think we can't beat Manure who have FA Cup semi final and Spurs away before us and joke CB pairing of Maguire and Lindelof?

As @HanoiVillan is implying united are there for a reason. They still have a very good side and the odds with all the other sides make it  ery difficult.  Its not impossible but very difficult with all the scenerios he has explained

• Like 1

After last week Don Unai implied he wants to finish top 6 “very difficult but a new important target maybe more” meaning he believed an outside chance of Top 4 was possible this season however small. “We have to go for the maximum.” 

Had we won at the end yesterday we would not have lost another game all season. A monster would have been created. 

Whatever happens between now and end of season - next season we will challenge for the Top 4. Don Unai wants to win that Trophy. 

We will win against Liverpool or Manchester United. Maybe not both but one of them will fall to us. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As @HanoiVillan is implying united are there for a reason. They still have a very good side and the odds with all the other sides make it  ery difficult.  Its not impossible but very difficult with all the scenerios he has explained

I would love it if we beat them

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Same i think this would be 1st league double over them in what 40 years?

Make it happen unai!!

Seriously I think they beatable. I feel more confident than before Brentford match. Hope Brighton batter them in FA SF and Spurs game is hard fought draw

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more I look at the remaining fixtures the more I don't think we'll finish in the top 7. If we were to continue scoring at 2 points/game - an absurdly high rate, all things considered - we would end up with 63 points. To do that we'd have to win 4 from 6, probably beating Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton and losing to Utd and Liverpool as the more likely combination to achieve that.

That's already really unlikely, but it would be pretty easy for Brighton to match it - all they'd need to do is get 4 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses from their remaining *9* games. Our only real hope I think is Spurs losing tomorrow and then us bettering their results through the rest of the season, leaving them in 8th and us in 7th. I don't see us finishing 5th or 6th. 

Not a given Liverpool will get to 63 points......if we draw at Anfield.

West Ham feels like the sort of team that can hold them to a draw given what they did to Arsenal. Hopefully Leicester will get a decent bounce and they only lost at Anfield due to Wout Faes having the worst pro game of his career with those two own goals. Southampton away looks a pretty comfortable win if they're already down but perhaps they'll win a few games given the near miss at Arsenal.

At home Liverpool have us, Spurs, Fulham and Brentford left. We really need one of the London lot to make them drop points I think. It's not like Brentford or Fulham have just given up on the season which is good and Fulham are only actually 5 points off Liverpool so I'd like to think they can go to Anfield and play with similar intensity as we had with Brentford yesterday.

Liverpool are still dodgy at the back although feels like they can get away with that in the run in given Salah and Jota have hit form.

• Like 2

We're in a four team race with Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton - I reckon once all the fixtures play out and we even out the games played, we're probably bottom of that group at the moment but in good form - Spurs are the team that I think we should be picking at - Liverpool seem to be okay and will be refereed to a Europa League place if nothing else and Brighton are very annoying, but Spurs are I think the team that could implode.

A big Newcastle win today please.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more I look at the remaining fixtures the more I don't think we'll finish in the top 7. If we were to continue scoring at 2 points/game - an absurdly high rate, all things considered - we would end up with 63 points. To do that we'd have to win 4 from 6, probably beating Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton and losing to Utd and Liverpool as the more likely combination to achieve that.

That's already really unlikely, but it would be pretty easy for Brighton to match it - all they'd need to do is get 4 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses from their remaining *9* games. Our only real hope I think is Spurs losing tomorrow and then us bettering their results through the rest of the season, leaving them in 8th and us in 7th. I don't see us finishing 5th or 6th. 

Booooooooooo

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

If Brighton win the FA cup, they take one of two europa league places. We would have to finish fifth to take the other place, unless Brighton finish fifth and we finish sixth. 

But we can still finish 7th and take Europa Conference. The only negative effect of Brighton winning the FA Cup is if they also finish 8th.