Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

14 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’d snap your hand off for a conference league place if you gave it to me now. Considering where we’ve come from. It would be a nice introduction for us back into European competition, get a group that’s not too taxing and doesn’t stretch us whilst getting used to playing Thursday - Sunday. Get experience, retain most of our squad, add to it obviously and kick on then the next season. I wouldn’t want a situation where we qualify for the champions league, can’t handle it and are in the bottom half of the PL next season. 

Totally agree with this. 

21 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’d snap your hand off for a conference league place if you gave it to me now. Considering where we’ve come from. It would be a nice introduction for us back into European competition, get a group that’s not too taxing and doesn’t stretch us whilst getting used to playing Thursday - Sunday. Get experience, retain most of our squad, add to it obviously and kick on then the next season. I wouldn’t want a situation where we qualify for the champions league, can’t handle it and are in the bottom half of the PL next season. 

whaaat, no way! You'd rather have a conference league spot than a Champions League spot. That's insane. 

Champions League means we get an extra £60-100 million, can attract the best players, and Emery is good at these cup competitions. 

We might also not get another chance to get into the CL as other teams around us also improve.

• Like 1

I'm on the hype train, I think we can get Europa. 

I'd dream for CL but Newcastle and United just have too many points on the board already. The only hope is people still think Spurs could get CL and we are 3 points behind and I believe we'll finish above them. 

I think Brighton are very good but when they play 6 games in 2 weeks that'll be just too much for them. That is also a must win game for us, we have to beat them to get Europe. So if we win that they have one less game in hand and we have another 3 points. 

Starts to look realistic. 

My only gripe about CL is Chelsea and Liverpool won't be this shit next year. Shame Gerrard couldn't manage a few draws

Just now, Lord Willard said:

I'm on the hype train, I think we can get Europa. 

I'd dream for CL but Newcastle and United just have too many points on the board already. The only hope is people still think Spurs could get CL and we are 3 points behind and I believe we'll finish above them. 

I think Brighton are very good but when they play 6 games in 2 weeks that'll be just too much for them. That is also a must win game for us, we have to beat them to get Europe. So if we win that they have one less game in hand and we have another 3 points. 

Starts to look realistic. 

My only gripe about CL is Chelsea and Liverpool won't be this shit next year. Shame Gerrard couldn't manage a few draws

Newcastle is such a mediocre side. 

It's outrageous that they are 4th.

Teams are clearly showing them far too much respect when playing them. 

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

whaaat, no way! You'd rather have a conference league spot than a Champions League spot. That's insane. 

Champions League means we get an extra £60-100 million, can attract the best players, and Emery is good at these cup competitions. 

We might also not get another chance to get into the CL as other teams around us also improve.

We could win the conference league. That would put us in the Europa League, in that then we are in the Champions League 🏆 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't remember if it was on here, but I saw somebody make the point that we always score at least one goal in every game. So, to beat us, the opposition have to score twice against The Best Goalkeeper In The World. 

Yeah we've scored in every single game since Emery has come in.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Realistically, we need to keep winning just to stay in 6th ffs, and even then, we could still win and not finish 6th.

We'd have to win near all our remaining games to have a chance of finishing 4th.

Yep, all the teams around us win most games, so we have to do even better than that just to finish 6th.  Probably need to win 5 out of the 7 games just to finish 6th.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The 6 points isn't the issue.

I get optimism and all that, but I don't see how people can blatantly ignore the clubs around us with games in hand. lol

Realistically, we need to keep winning just to stay in 6th ffs, and even then, we could still win and not finish 6th.

Brighton just need a draw to leapfrog us on GD with a game in hand for example.

We'd have to win near all our remaining games to have a chance of finishing 4th.

Let's be sensible, even as we break down barriers week by week.

I feel this is why some people often end up dissappointed.

Yep, is going to be incredibly difficult just to stay where we are, all we can do is keep winning but Brighton and Liverpool are a real threat, we can only hope one of them **** up in the next few weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Couple of weeks ago there were posts that people getting carried away talking about Europe spot yet here we are

True but top 4 is a completely different level. Newcastle and Man Utd will not drop enough points for Villa to get in just like Villa won’t win every game this season. 

I can already sense the disappointment IF Villa  don’t make Europe when I think everybody would have took 8th when the club was sitting 11th for ages. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

We have a first class manager and wealthy owners. If we did amazingly get top 4 they would ensure we were ready, of that I'd have no doubt.

Would be a hell of a turnover needed in incomings and outgoings to get ready to play champions league football and cope with the PL as well. We’ve shown in the past 5-6 years, we struggle to move people on. No doubt we’d have the wealth to bring players in but you never always get who you want - not even close to it. Of course id love us to finish 4th but im saying the conference league wouldn’t be bad either and we can build a lot more practically without it ruining our league form. 

Not sure we can point to the soft west ham penalty as costing us two points over the recent run.

There's an element of had that not happened we might not have then had the 5 wins in a row. Maybe Emery has been able to use that injustice as a means to get more out the players "let's not sit back and leave it in the hands of the officials,  let's push on and make it irrelevant what dodgy decisions go against us". 

I don't doubt for one second that he'd have still be motivating the players whatever happened, but it's not necessarily the back and white bad thing to happen to us in this run it might appear to be.

As for continuing it, Brentford are in terrible form and we should be favourites. Even if they have only lost twice at home all season. Newcastle had only lost 3 games anywhere all season, and look how they ended. 

57 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Imagine being worried about playing Brentford and Fulham. 

Get they are having a good season but there is no way we should fear them. We have a better manager and better players. 

The only thing concerning me with Brentford is our away form against them. 4 losses in a row, should have beaten them last season under Gerrard - pretty sure they scored with 2 shots on target? Frustrating. If Villa do beat Brentford and Fulham then I don't see Villa finishing out top 7. It be a case of whether its Europa or Conference League. 

Just now, RichW said:

The only thing concerning me with Brentford is our away form against them. 4 losses in a row, should have beaten them last season under Gerrard - pretty sure they scored with 2 shots on target? Frustrating. If Villa do beat Brentford and Fulham then I don't see Villa finishing out top 7. It be a case of whether its Europa or Conference League. 

I wouldn't worry about our away form against them under previous managers, will have no bearing on how we play against them now under Emery.

Hopefully teams around us will pick up more injuries, Brighton had 2 last game forward and cb, both out 2 weeks, puts more stress on the rest with so many games still to play in a short time. Injuries and suspensions will be our best friend as long as we keep winning

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The 6 points isn't the issue.

I get optimism and all that, but I don't see how people can blatantly ignore the clubs around us with games in hand. lol

Brighton just need a draw to leapfrog us on GD with a game in hand for example.

Let's be sensible, even as we break down barriers week by week.

I feel this is why some people often end up dissappointed.

Points on board over games in hand every day of the week. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

We need to win all 7 games for top 4 really, but the way we're going... why not, But I can't see us dropping more than 6 or 7 points max. Just feels like we're in a good space. 2 draws, maybe a defeat, but I know I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Brighton are the only side in similarly great form. Newcastle were poor, but they have a few points cushion, likewise, United, lwith their injuries, but a 9 point cushion, Spurs, all over the place with a caretaker manager, Liverpool unpredictable, will obviously pick up wins, but they are going to drop points unexpectedly at least a couple of times. 

We don’t need to win all 7 games, we need to get within touching distance of 4th, and then we just need to match the results of other teams and creep a point above them. We do need results to go our way, but if we can win the next 2 games and Newcastle and Spurs don’t pick up any more than 3 points each from their next 2 games (bearing in mind they play eachother), then with 5 games to go we are in with a shout.

I would say if we get to that stage, while we don’t need to necessarily win every game, we probably can’t afford to lose ground in any particular match week, so we would need to match or better Newcastle and Spurs’s results and hope they both slip up at least once more…

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I get this, but I don’t think a conference league place will be enough to keep all our best players. We are definitely on the radar of the teams above now as a threat, and they will be looking to weaken us by cherry picking our best players in the summer (think Yorke, Delph, Milner, Barry). We may be in a better position to deal with that with our current manager and ambitious owners, and also with an ability to recruitment adequate replacements (as Brighton have done in recent years), but we don’t know that just yet.

I would probably take 5th or 6th if offered it now, but not 7th or 8th…