Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

26 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

What do the opta stats say about our final predicted place, now that we've beaten Newcastle?

8th still, though odds of higher places have obviously increased. Their top 8 and % chance of the named team being in that position are:

1 Man City 65.6%

2 Arsenal 34.4%

3 Man Utd 72.0%

4 Newcastle 58.4%

5 Liverpool 30.3%

6 Brighton 29.1%

7 Spurs 29.8%

8 Villa 49.7%

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Fans were outraged when MON treated Europe like a development arena for youngsters. 

If it's conference I couldn't care less. If it's europa I want us to go strong every game. 

I'd like us to take Europa serious as well (we have the GOAT Europa manager in charge after all).  But, playing on Thursday has a massive impact on preparing for your next game, instead of the usual 5-6 days preparation, you've got 2-3 days to prepare.  It will take a toll on league performance, unless you have a massive squad or rotate youth players.

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Fans were outraged when MON treated Europe like a development arena for youngsters. 

If it's conference I couldn't care less. If it's europa I want us to go strong every game. 

a lot has changed since the MON days. we all got too entitled and just assumed europe every year

genuinely curious why you don't care about it but would want us to go strong for europa? there's not a huge difference between the 2 competitions

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

MON played a full strength team until we went to Moscow in the round of 32 he suddenly played the reserve team out of the blue. Not the same as giving younger players a chance here and there in Europe.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd like us to take Europa serious as well (we have the GOAT Europa manager in charge after all).  But, playing on Thursday has a massive impact on preparing for your next game, instead of the usual 5-6 days preparation, you've got 2-3 days to prepare.  It will take a toll on league performance, unless you have a massive squad or rotate youth players.

the conference league would arguably make it easier than europa. we could heavily rotate and still progress the group stage of the conference. for europa league we'd have to put out stronger teams

38 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

According to this 71 points would get us 4th place, no need for Newcastle or ManU to tank badly.

Tbf I said near perfect (ie. not perfect, because I do not see us winning every remaining game) and hope one of them tanks.

43 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

65 points seems to secure 5th place, unless Newcastle or ManU tank badly. We would get 65 points if we win 5 of the remaining 7 games, I find that more likely than we only win 2 of the next 7.

I agree on current form 5 is entirely possible. I wouldn't say as likely as 2 though. 4 maybe, but these remaining fixtures are tough on paper add about 12 games ago I had us getting 2 wins and 10 points from last 7 as well, though in a slightly different configeration to above.

I think the Fulham is a must win. Wolves should be as well, with the caveat that it's a derby and they set up very well last time against us, with their manager probably having more experience facing Emery recently than others. Brentford win would be very nice and looking more likely as their form dips, but not essential. Wins in any of the final three are huge. Spurs most likely for me, then Brighton if only because of home advantage. Anything from Utd and Liverpool away a bonus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Do Liverpool have an easy fixture list for their run in? They seem to be predicted much higher than I expect based on their current position.

Fulham, Brentford, Spurs and us are the only top half teams they play. And all at home where they've only lost once (against Leeds weirdly) all season in league. Another home game against Forest, plus Leeds, West Ham, Saints and Leicester away. They do only have 3 away wins this season though.

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Tbf I said near perfect (ie. not perfect, because I do not see us winning every remaining game) and hope one of them tanks.

I agree on current form 5 is entirely possible. I wouldn't say as likely as 2 though. 4 maybe, but these remaining fixtures are tough on paper add about 12 games ago I had us getting 2 wins and 10 points from last 7 as well, though in a slightly different configeration to above.

I think the Fulham is a must win. Wolves should be as well, with the caveat that it's a derby and they set up very well last time against us, with their manager probably having more experience facing Emery recently than others. Brentford win would be very nice and looking more likely as their form dips, but not essential. Wins in any of the final three are huge. Spurs most likely for me, then Brighton if only because of home advantage. Anything from Utd and Liverpool away a bonus.

I wouldn't be surprised if we beat both United and Spurs but drop points to Wolves and Fulham.  We fare quite well under Emery against the scum 6.

Spurs are terrible at the minute, and United's ramshackle defense and potentially fixture pileup will benefit us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sorry over the top but we literally have won our last 8 except for draw from bad ref/VAR call for pen

I agree with your point intially thats the thing, the luck i meant in terms of continue the run and hope othee drop points if we dont win.

Our run of games is tough but its certainly not impossible although CL is a stretch too far. Not enough games left for me unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think teams run at loss in these

Yes, it is said that teams in the Conference league make a loss unless they get to the final. 

I really can't see how though, minimum £12 million from getting past the group stage, plus say 3 home games making say £2 million.  That's £14m extra with minimal extra costs. 

Unless they are counting needing a bigger squad and so extra wages and transfer fees.

39 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Do Liverpool have an easy fixture list for their run in? They seem to be predicted much higher than I expect based on their current position.

Yes, easiest run-in out of them, Spurs, Villa, and Brighton.

With Europa and Conference how much extra commercial could we pick up ? I know it’s quite a lot if you qualify for CL but I’ve never seen the numbers from the europa league in addition to the prize money that’s been quoted in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

With Europa and Conference how much extra commercial could we pick up ? I know it’s quite a lot if you qualify for CL but I’ve never seen the numbers from the europa league in addition to the prize money that’s been quoted in this thread.

That depends on each club and how good they are at working the opportunity. 

For example if Liverpool qualified, they'd get lower commercial than now because their sponsors probably expect CL and will have clauses to lower the amount they pay. 

For Villa, we probably haven't negotiated a shirt sponsor to include European matches, so we might be able to bump up the price for our sponsors (or maybe even a new european sponsor like Spurs did a few seasons ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Interestingly, just having a quick flick through the predicted finishing's on the net. Most seem to have us 8th with 60 points after 38 games. I'd have been happy with that a couple of weeks ago, but now, I think we can top that. 4 wins in the last 7, beating Brighton on the last day. 

Yes please I would take that.

The Conference League will be a great competition to get into. I don't think we can be picky. You have to be over  20 to remember the last time we actually played in a competitive European fixture.  And the last decent run was 25 years ago. It has been a long, long, long time.

Edited by The Fun Factory