Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Think the run of wins are getting a few people carried away with talk of top 4. Fully expect Newcastle to beat Spurs next weekend and I think that will be the top 4 wrapped up. It would then require such a big drop off from Man Utd and Newcastle that’s not been seen at all by either side this season for the top 4 to open up to anybody else. 

5th place however is now looking achievable. As I said I expect Newcastle to beat Spurs so if Villa can get a positive result away to Brentford and beat Fulham then should be 5th before play Man Utd away. Just wish Brighton wouldn’t have so many games in hand so could have a more accurate table on games played but their fixture congestion is gonna be a problem for them and that small squad

4 hours ago, robby b said:

For us to have an outside chance of finishing 4th with 5 games left to play then my gut feeling is that we absolutely have to beat Brentford and Fulham. Yes, it took us 25 years to win 5 in a row in the PL but with our confidence high and momentum we do have quite a decent chance of turning that into 6 or even 7 in a row. 8 in a row would be a really big ask, to win at Old Trafford again, but "it's a funny old game, Saint". 

The chance of winning 6 in a row is low. The good news is that winning 6 in a row after already won 5 in a row, have the same probability as winning one match.

Brentford are favourites to win on Saturday, but not as clear favourites as Newcastle were. Mishap like West Ham could happen again, but I think we have a good chance winning the next two.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RichW said:

Think the run of wins are getting a few people carried away with talk of top 4. Fully expect Newcastle to beat Spurs next weekend and I think that will be the top 4 wrapped up. It would then require such a big drop off from Man Utd and Newcastle that’s not been seen at all by either side this season for the top 4 to open up to anybody else. 

5th place however is now looking achievable. As I said I expect Newcastle to beat Spurs so if Villa can get a positive result away to Brentford and beat Fulham then should be 5th before play Man Utd away. Just wish Brighton wouldn’t have so many games in hand so could have a more accurate table on games played but their fixture congestion is gonna be a problem for them and that small squad

Couple of weeks ago there were posts that people getting carried away talking about Europe spot yet here we are

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we're looking at top 4, we need Spurs to beat Newcastle. Spurs aren't getting top 4, if they fluke a win like they did against Brighton, it won't make much difference. I think us, United and Liverpool will batter them.

Spurs win, we beat Brentford and it's looking like this (assuming Brighton, Liverpool and United all win):

3. United - 59 pts (2 games in hand)

4. Newcastle - 56 pts (1 game in hand)

5. Spurs - 56 pts

6. Villa - 53 pts

7. Brighton - 49 pts (3 games in hand)

8. Liverpool - 47 pts (2 games in hand)

Brighton and ManU play each other in the FA Cup. Updated the table for you.

• Thanks 1

Newcastle vs Tottenham draw of course, keep all dreams alive.

The VARs will be so conflicted in that one: go with Englands’s Harry Kane and risk losing their heads or taking the Saudi money and run?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Let's not be disappointed if we end 8th. I still think we're unlikely to get top 7 as Liverpool will go on a run with the easy fixtures they have. 8th but within a few points of the top 6 would be an insane performance

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Let's not be disappointed if we end 8th. I still think we're unlikely to get top 7 as Liverpool will go on a run with the easy fixtures they have. 8th but within a few points of the top 6 would be an insane performance

Liverpool are shit lately. I hope Leeds beat them

Where would 60 points land us?

Say if we won our 3 remaining home games, drew 1 away and lost 3?

Where has 60 points gotten teams the last few seasons?

EDIT: Just checked and it seems 60 points is usually enough to get you 7th, sometimes 6th, aside from a couple of anomaly years with high points hauls across the top 10.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I had us down as finishing 8th as well on my predictor. Think Liverpool and Brighton will leapfrog us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Say if we won our 3 remaining home games, drew 1 away and lost 2?

21/22 - 6th
20/21 - 8th
19/20 - 6th
18/19 - 7th
17/18 - 7th

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Say if we won our 3 remaining home games, drew 1 away and lost 2?

Man Utd finished 6th last season on 58 points. Arsenal 5th with 69. Really difficult to tell what’s going to happen this season as the top 8 have quite a lot more points than at this time last season. 

Looking at the table i think lowest position we will finish will be 8th [unless we go on a horrendous run of form] which would still be a incredible season for us

Id still be happy with conference league as its atrophy we can realistically go far with with our current squad. Its going to take a good few years if at all for us to be good enouhh for champions league 

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

8th??

We have massive momentum. I have my sights on Newcastle and 4th.

6 points is absolutely doable. 

Momentum is crucial here.  If we get 6 points against Brentford and Fulham (which isn't that unrealistic), it'll be panic stations all round from Spurs, Brighton etc 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

8th??

We have massive momentum. I have my sights on Newcastle and 4th.

6 points is absolutely doable. 

We do, but Liverpool aren’t going to be terrible forever and will probably finish well, they have games in-hand as well. And Brighton are quite simply fantastic, and also have games in-hand. Whilst we need to focus on ourselves and our own performances, where we finish might not actually be up to us.

Edited by Tayls

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Momentum is crucial here.  If we get 6 points against Brentford and Fulham (which isn't that unrealistic), it'll be panic stations all round from Spurs, Brighton etc 

Us and Brighton have no pressure as well. 

Newcastle have big pressure from demanding Saudis. Spurs have a piss poor mentality and Liverpool are way too inconsistent