Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

We will beat Liverpool. We can beat Man Yoo as long as we keep calm and don’t play the fixture. So many games we’ve lost even when they’ve played poorly because it’s man Yoo.

Newcastle is the only game where I’m not confident of avoiding defeat. 

• Like 1

I can't quite get my head round it being April and still 8 games to go. 

Going to be an interesting few weeks to come. I hope we have the legs in the thin squad to keep getting results. There will definitely be twists and turns before the end. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

We will beat Liverpool. We can beat Man Yoo as long as we keep calm and don’t play the fixture. So many games we’ve lost even when they’ve played poorly because it’s man Yoo.

Newcastle is the only game where I’m not confident of avoiding defeat. 

Don't play the name, play the game?

3 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Agreed, top 2 it is 🤪

As Brian Clough once said: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one". 

Top one, please, Unai. I'm willing to wait until next season. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve never truly thought we could finish in a European place, I still don’t.

However, if we beat Newcastle next weekend, I’ll start to properly believe. It feels like a seminal match. 

It feels like the biggest match of the season. 

We'll lose

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I did one of those fixture predictor things and here's where it stands right before the Liverpool game.  I think the battle for 6th, 7th, & 8th will come down to the last two games of the season where we play Liverpool away and Brighton at home.  Brighton play Southampton in week 37, so it's a dead ringer they'll win that, putting us 2 points behind them (if we lose to Liverpool), 1 point behind them (if we draw to Liverpool), or a point ahead if we win.  I would love to see Villa Park packed to the rafters in a showdown with Brighton for a European place on the line, winner take all.  

image.thumb.png.e72d07320d20ff016260f0436133bb8d.png

Would be good if Southampton managed to hang on long enough that they have something to play for still by then.

They’ve got Palace next and then Bournemouth after Arsenal before playing Newcastle, Fulham (then a more winnable game vs Forest), Brighton and Liverpool so they have a big part to play.

Edited by fightoffyour

All we can do is what we have been doing, keep getting points on the board. Now we play the teams around us and if we keep getting points on the board we will stay in and around the top 5th to 7th. I honestly believe we can finish above spurs, and I can't see them dropping below 7th. 

Having a smaller pool of players can be a blessing as long as they stay fit, the more they play together the better they will be at emerys game plans. Chelsea have a huge squad and it's done them no favours swapping players around changing formations.

At the start of the season with the faux manager I was still looking for 8th to 10th, again when emery came in, that was my hope, but thanks to a massive almost miraculous effort from everyone at our club, I am now looking at 7th to 5th and believe we can do it.

UTV

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The BBC said we are only 6 points away from Europa League qualification - that’s very achievable. 

How? Two teams below us have 30 points to play for and only 3 and 4 points behind us.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

We can absolutely beat Newcastle 

Well we certainly *can* - Sheffield Wednesday have beaten Newcastle this season! - but it's a massive task - out of 29 games this season they've only lost 3 of them, and they've won the last 5. 

It's more likely than not that we won't win it, but it's important that if that happens we rally around the team and not get too downhearted. We'd still be in with a chance of 6th/7th. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well we certainly *can* - Sheffield Wednesday have beaten Newcastle this season! - but it's a massive task - out of 29 games this season they've only lost 3 of them, and they've won the last 5. 

It's more likely than not that we won't win it, but it's important that if that happens we rally around the team and not get too downhearted. We'd still be in with a chance of 6th/7th. 

Very true. I’d take a point. But there’s enough in this team to beat them. I don’t think they looked that good against Brentford. Ollie’s pace will cause them lots of problems. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Haven’t wanted to win a game as much as the upcoming Newcastle game for a long time

they are where they are as a result of filthy, corrupt money and are shameless about it. Teams keep on throwing games away against them that they should win, and they are absolutely playing above how they should with the players that have.

I would normally be happy to see a “smaller team” break into top 4 but not these scumbags. Someone needs to take them down a peg or two and I pray that it’s us

The really annoying thing with Newcastle is that it doesn’t have much to do with their new found wealth at all and more due to seemingly good coaching and a good team ethos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It’s an unstoppable force meets an immovable object scenario that both teams are flying at the moment and while they have been great all season, we have been brilliant under Emery.  Any result is possible in this game because I think we are equally doing so well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Very true. I’d take a point. But there’s enough in this team to beat them. I don’t think they looked that good against Brentford. Ollie’s pace will cause them lots of problems. 

I don’t think we have anything to fear, they have been brilliant all season but we have been brilliant since Emery came in.  I wouldn’t take a point now, we have the ability to take all three points and we have to be confident to do that.  We may lose but I think we have enough about us to go for the win and then see what happens.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The really annoying thing with Newcastle is that it doesn’t have much to do with their new found wealth at all and more due to seemingly good coaching and a good team ethos.

I know - sickening isn’t it 😂