Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

People around us having games in hand so the table isn't really that relevant yet.

But I agree Emery is performing wonders.

Crucially though we're putting pressure on them. A few weeks ago there was little hope for us. Incredible really.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

People around us having games in hand so the table isn't really that relevant yet.

This is true when thinking about getting into Europe but, assume all those games in hand get won and we're still 8th, two points off 7th

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Brighton's games in hand are Newcastle and City. Hardly walks in the park. I'd take the points on the board at this stage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watching the highlights of the other games, looks like Spurs/Brighton was an absolute shitshow on the touchline.  Both managers sent off and will probably get touchline bans next week.

Good to have it all in our hands. I still suspect we will come up a bit short, but if we do, the disappointment shouldn't overshadow what a remarkable job the manager and squad have done to make this look so possible

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Brighton's games in hand are Newcastle and City. Hardly walks in the park. I'd take the points on the board at this stage.

Brighton got Forest away a few days after their FA cup SF so can see them losing that aswell.

Newcastle are very comfortable in top 4 now so while holding our nose it's very much in our interests they beat Brighton at home.

If Brighton lose at Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal and Us away they're going to need a very good home run to get to 60 points.

• Like 1

Glad the Newcastle game is at home. Of all the teams we match up against, I think Newcastle is the worst current match up for us. Need to dig deep and glad we have a week for prep. 

• Like 4

Just now, DJBOB said:

Glad the Newcastle game is at home. Of all the teams we match up against, I think Newcastle is the worst current match up for us. Need to dig deep and glad we have a week for prep. 

In a weird way, I'm not. We seem to play better away. If we play like we did today I think Newcastle would beat us. Their players are a lot more clinical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

They surely won't keep on winning forever. Realistically we aren't catching them even if we win so I'd be o.k with hard fought draw from that.

Isak will be a handful but they're missing a few, ASM wasn't involved today and Almiron has been injured for a month.

Hopefully Kamara can return and manage 30 minutes as Bruno Guimaraes is a top player in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In a weird way, I'm not. We seem to play better away. If we play like we did today I think Newcastle would beat us. Their players are a lot more clinical.

It was a leggy performance today. We've just had two high intensity aways and it showed.

At least we have a weeks rest now and hopefully Cash, Kamara and even Coutinho can return to the bench next week just to give us some decent fresh legs.

Today showed aswell if we're regularly playing three times in a week next season we need much more depth to rotate as a couple of injuries and we're back to just putting the same 11 out most weeks.

• Like 1

We are moving up the table because we are winning. If we want to keep our current position or go higher we need to keep winning.

Next week we have Newcastle, Brentford and Fulham, that is going to be a lot tougher than this weeks Chelsea, Leicester and Nottingham.

To be realistic, 3-4 points next week would be ok, but most like leave us out of the top7 spots. If we could do a miracle and get another three wins, we would have at least a foot in Europe.

• Like 1