Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

I reckon it's between us, Brighton and Liverpool for 2 European spots. I don't see Spurs falling out of the top 7 anytime soon, their home form will see them through. It's going to be tough: we have the hardest fixtures of the bunch by far. Regardless of what happens, though, what a turnaround it's been to say we've even gotten to the point of being in a serious European battle!

Liverpool are great at home but turgid away, but most of their remaining harder games are at home and easier ones away. Tomorrow's match is at home to Arsenal though: another loss tomorrow to cement their downwards momentum would be great, please and thank you 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Surely Brentford and Fulham are dream fixtures now. Both by then will have nothing left to play for 

Today was only the second time Brentford have lost at home all season so they are still a very tough team to beat and when they lose it's by a goal so will be a tight match.

Fulham should be a comfortable win for us as their season ended when Man. United knocked them out of FA cup and the ensuring fallout with Mitrovic's push on the ref.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Today was only the second time Brentford have lost at home all season so they are still a very tough team to beat and when they lose it's by a goal so will be a tight match.

When will Ivan Toney's punishment be announced?

9 hours ago, allani said:

Is it a difficult run in? 

Newcastle will be tough as only they, Arsenal and Man City have better form than us over the last 5 matches.  But the pressure is all on them.

Brentford haven't won in four - two draws and two losses.  They should change that in their next match but a draw away at Wolves is definitely possible.

Fulham have lost four on the trot and are without their most main goal threat.  Only 2 of the bottom 3 have worse form.

Man Utd's form is a bit all over the place.  On the wrong day it will be a tough ask.  But on the right day they can be pretty poor.  Also worth noting that they play Spurs on the Thursday night - so we'll have had an extra 48 hours to recover from our previous match.

Wolves away - we owe them big time.  Looks like they might be pulling clear of the relegation zone so might have little to play for.  But only Everton have scored fewer goals this season and we've not failed to score for like forever.

Spurs still look like a car crash about to happen.  If both clubs continue on form over the last 6 matches then victory at home could put us ahead of them in the table.

Liverpool have won pretty much 50% of the points we have in the last 5 matches.  They've looked very ordinary in their last 3 matches and their season could well be over by the time we play them.  (Alternatively they might win their last 8 matches!)

Brighton last up could be a belter with a real cup final importance.

We don't have Arsenal or Man City to play and at the moment they are the only two teams that I'd be pessimistic about playing.  Obviously it could be easier but several of those matches are looking less daunting than maybe they were a month or two ago.

Yes I still think it’s difficult because despite many of them slightly off form, most of them are top half of the table teams because of either their quality or their form over the season so not easy to dismiss.  It’s not like we have a good mix of poor teams and good teams to play…most of the teams we have to play have been in the top half most of the season and have played good football.  

Doesn’t mean we can’t carry on our great run but we have to respect what a lot of them have done this season, understand these teams have earnt good points for a season, have good players and then we beat them 😉

My point though is that it’s difficult because we aren’t playing the poorer teams in the league in our run in, it’s difficult because they are top 11 teams on our run-in mostly.

53 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Top 7 ? Nah we want top 4

No chance we are getting top 4

(when I said we wouldn’t get close to top7, we quickly got there so I’m using the same reverse psychology 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A small squad and injuries will hurt us, the midfield looked jaded against forest, Doug , McGinn and Ramsey. Be handy if Kamara was fit and Cash but it doesn't seem likely. Even if we don't get Europe this has been an amazing turn around.

Give Emery a transfer window (Moreno has been arguably our best signing in 2 seasons) and a full season and our ceiling is very high, top 4 high. Even saying that is unbelievable.

• Like 1

Also worried about our lack of genuine options outside of the starting 11. Fine with rotating the full backs but we are desperately short across midfield. Dendonker will need to be given more minutes to ease the load on Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey. If Kamara is back fit that would be absolutely huge!

I did one of those fixture predictor things and here's where it stands right before the Liverpool game.  I think the battle for 6th, 7th, & 8th will come down to the last two games of the season where we play Liverpool away and Brighton at home.  Brighton play Southampton in week 37, so it's a dead ringer they'll win that, putting us 2 points behind them (if we lose to Liverpool), 1 point behind them (if we draw to Liverpool), or a point ahead if we win.  I would love to see Villa Park packed to the rafters in a showdown with Brighton for a European place on the line, winner take all.  

image.thumb.png.e72d07320d20ff016260f0436133bb8d.png

• Like 1

I see a lot of analysis of the teams we have to play but none of that really matters. This is Unai Emery’s Aston Villa the most important factor is now us not the opposition. 

We’re Aston Villa we beat who we want. The Sultan of Unai sits on high, his proclamations are absolute and final. 

• Like 2

I’ve never truly thought we could finish in a European place, I still don’t.

However, if we beat Newcastle next weekend, I’ll start to properly believe. It feels like a seminal match. 

It feels like the biggest match of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve never truly thought we could finish in a European place, I still don’t.

However, if we beat Newcastle next weekend, I’ll start to properly believe. It feels like a seminal match. 

It feels like the biggest match of the season. 

Every match now becomes the new biggest match of the season as long as we keep winning.  As someone put it, 10 cup finals. 

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Every match now becomes the new biggest match of the season as long as we keep winning.  As someone put it, 10 cup finals. 

Yeh I get that. But I still feel like we’re playing catch up given the games in hand teams have around us. Feels like we’re falsely in 6th at the moment. 

It would be great to get into a position where we can actually afford to lose a game and it not affect our position too much. 

• Like 2

Feels like we are due a little dip soon, we can’t keep winning every single match…

Newcastle - L

Brentford - W

Fulham - W

Man Utd - L

Wolves - W

Spurs - D

Liverpool - L

Brighton - D

11 more points takes us to 58 points and probably 7-8th.