Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

wrong-attitude-johnny-rose.gif

No way. Life is short and football is fickle - we have a great opportunity to make a giant leap forward and we should grab it.

Pussy footing around waiting for "the right time" is bs.

Always feel like I need to give an extra like when I agree with a point and it's accompanied by a Schitt's Creek gif. 

• Thanks 1

We shouldnt turn our nose up at any financial income. We pay the footballers a fortune, get them playing as many games as possible. 

We also have the Don at Europa. We should strike while the iron is hot. I can't imagine Liverpool or Chelsea being this bad next season. 

4 hours ago, Hiney said:

While Europe would be nice it can be a real burden, especially if you don't have a super strong squad which we don't. 

I'd be happy having another year without it to really build and concentrate on the league and the domestic cups. 

Isn’t there a summer window to make it a super strong squad!  We can attract a better quality player and be ready for next season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Sorry if this has been covered but why is 7th europe?

Because that's the position you need to finish in to qualify for European Football I believe.  Happy to be corrected. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Sorry if this has been covered but why is 7th europe?

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Because that's the position you need to finish in to qualify for European Football I believe. 

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

TL;DR, 7th isn't qualifying, unless the FA Cup and EFL cup winners already qualify for Europe via other routes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Would a City/United FA Cup final make 8th possible too? 

Nope.

1st-4th = CL
5th = EL
6th = EL (If FA Cup is won by team already qualified)
7th = EC (If League Cup is won by team already qualified)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Would a City/United FA Cup final make 8th possible too? 

Doesn't matter these days who the opponent is - I think it used to be the rule that it went to the cup runners up, but that changed a while ago, not it always goes to the next PL spot instead, so 7th is the lowest

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hiney said:

While Europe would be nice it can be a real burden, especially if you don't have a super strong squad which we don't. 

I'd be happy having another year without it to really build and concentrate on the league and the domestic cups. 

This is total BS. Strike while the iron's hot. Check out Liverpool title winning main squad minutes and they were playing in Europe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don’t buy the ‘Europe is a burden’ idea. We might as well all go home now if we don’t want to target European football because we may have to play a few extra matches. I love watching Villa. I want them to play every night of the week.

We have some decent youngsters. If we get into Europe, it might just mean a couple of them stick around next season. That, and we’ll probably add a couple of players in the Summer anyway. 

FWIW, I think we’ll just miss out on Europe. I reckon we’ll finish 8/9th 😞

WTH? We're in agreement accept for the last part. This is a red letter day

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

If we also make Europe I think that also greatly improves the chances available to the likes of Archer, Ramsey Jr and Tim O to get game time with us next season so bring it on

Probably the main advantage, especially the Europa Conference.  Don't know what the prize money is for EC, but can't imagine it's that good.  And don't think we would suddenly attract CL calibre players because of the prestige of playing in the EC.  Be very good for those youth players, will get them used to Emery system while not sacrificing game time in league for more important matches.

And we do have to strike now. Who knows what next season brings, we're no longer a surprise under emery, there will be injuries etc more competitive teams... doing it now is a great chance not to be missed if we can help it

Don’t think Bees will be in the mix and expect us to tail off now after what’s been a good season but some very tough games ahead.I expect Toney will be banned in the coming weeks which will mean that’s it for the season and maybe longer although we are far from a one man team as Liverpool found out earlier in the season.

I think if a European place is possible you most definitely take it. It helps us financially, it helps with player recruitment and it surely helps the brand/commercial aspect.

Yes we’ll be playing Thursday and Sunday, and it’s pretty gruelling on the squad but you can bet everyone associated with the club wants it.

Its never too early to be part of it.

• Like 2