Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Just now, duke313 said:

Talk of catching Newcastle is a bit unrealistic. They’re probably getting top 4. They’re 6 points ahead with 2 games in hand.

Every team above us has 2 games in hand except Spurs. 7th or 6th, anything beyond that is not happening unless we win every game.

Newcastle-Brighton is one of the games in hand for those two so someone will drop points.

We obviously need to beat Newcastle at VP to have a semi decent chance. And probably Brighton on the last day aswell.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

When was the last time we were this high up the table this late in the season

12 Nosebleed ideas | anime meme face, cute memes, anime memes

Interestingly in 20/21 we had the same number of points after games as we do now:

Aston Villa 3-1 Fulham: Substitute Trezeguet scores twice - BBC Sport

Having moved onto 44 points after 29 games - 18 more than they had at the same stage last season - Villa are just five points off a European spot.

They will hope to have Grealish back in time for next weekend's visit to Anfield but they at least proved against Fulham that they can win without their prized asset.

Were 5 points off 7th then and we had lost momentum anyway from the Grealish injury so this actually imo is a much better chance given we have a better manager now who's experienced at this part of the table and we have a more well rounded team than those times.

Think a big sign of what we have done under Emery, we are in European football position with minus goal difference, Steven Gerrard nearly ruined our club in first half of season 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you want to bet against us?

Winning 9 games in a row is hard. Even if you play against weaker opponent, like if the chance of winning each individually match is 80%, it is still only 13% chance to win 9 of those matches in row.

We are mostly playing teams around us, meaning winning 9 in a row is close to winning the lottery.

Yes, we should hope we can do it, but it is not very smart to put serious money on it.

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Winning 9 games in a row is hard. Even if you play against weaker opponent, like if the chance of winning each individually match is 80%, it is still only 13% chance to win 9 of those matches in row.

We are mostly playing teams around us, meaning winning 9 in a row is close to winning the lottery.

Yes, we should hope we can do it, but it is not very smart to put serious money on it.

*eleventy-seven

6 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I know what you’re saying, it’s only a continuation of our current form. I just think it’s unlikely that we’ll continue at the 1.9ppg rate all the way through. I’d bloody love it to happen though, I’m praying it does. 

Less than 1.8 ppg now…

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Two games in a row now at VP. The place needs to be bouncing. 6 points please. 

i think most would've taken 7 points from these 3 games this week. 9 would be wonderful

would love to beat newcastle

• Like 1

Aston Villa v Brighton last game of the season. Imagine a winner takes all scenario?

Fighting for 6th or 7th place on the last day? I would take that now if offered. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I’m down to playing numberwang

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you want to bet against us?

No, but it still unrealistic. We’ve done well to get into the position we have, but our good run has come against teams who aren’t playing well. Let’s see if you’re saying that after we’ve played Brighton, Brentford and Newcastle.

42 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Brighton just keep winning! I mean fair play to them, but just as we come good teams like Brighton, Brentford & Newcastle turn into world beaters

True, but it would generally be Chelsea and Liverpool taking there places.

Just crunched the numbers. If Newcastle, Spurs, Man U, Brighton, Liverpool, and Brentford are our competition for European spaces (I left Fulham out), we've got joint-most difficult fixtures along with Brentford, not to mention that everyone but Spurs has games in hand. (Spurs and Brighton have almost as difficult of a schedule, while Man U has the easiest, though they have the burden of two other competitions). Qualifying for the Europa League, let alone the CL, won't be easy.

That said, while our schedule is difficult, we also play every team in that list. We may not have total control over our fate, but we have plenty of influence over it.