Pre Match thread

ender4

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont remember games being called off for Captain Tom who probably gave more of his life for his country

Guessing the PL think differently to you. You will have to deal with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends when the funeral is. Might be Monday 19th September so would seem bizarre to postpone Friday evening games a couple of hundred miles away.

Think only games in danger of being postponed next weekend are obviously the London ones with security/police needed elsewhere.

It's fine having a period to remember wonderful figurehead of country but sporting fixtures shouldn't really be cancelled for weeks on end, just use this weekend to properly reflect and then get on with it again.

Regardless of what we believe the reason for postponement, the official reason issued by the PL is that it is as a mark of respect and the government has stated that games do not need to be postponed. If it is deemed respectful to postpone games now, I can see how they may want to postpone games in or around the time of the funeral

17 minutes ago, grobs said:

No games for a month with the international break. Basically only thing that gets me through the week is the football. So grim 

Yeah but if we don't play we don't lose!

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Meh

I would have thought having thousands of people gather together, singing the God Save the Queen, showing respect with minutes of silence and then singing God Save the King was a more fitting and respectful way to remember than cancelling everything so that thousands of people are instead going along the pub/ playing playstation/ gardening/ being dragged to IKEA etc.

Also, if this game is cancelled then surely the Southampton game which is on the weekend of her funeral will also be cancelled. And if not, what is the point in cancelling this one?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, picicata said:

Meh

I would have thought having thousands of people gather together, singing the God Save the Queen, showing respect with minutes of silence and then singing God Save the King was a more fitting and respectful way to remember than cancelling everything so that thousands of people are instead going along the pub/ playing playstation/ gardening/ being dragged to IKEA etc.

Also, if this game is cancelled then surely the Southampton game which is on the weekend of her funeral will also be cancelled. And if not, what is the point in cancelling this one?

I have heard of a couple of fanbases(2 are in Liverpool) that were preparing to boo the national anthem idea

• Sad 1

I remember vividly the street party outside my nursery on the day of the Queen's coronation and the happiness that surrounded me. I was three and a half at the time and it's one of my earliest memories.

70 years have past during which Queen Elizabeth was a reassuring figure constantly in the back ground of my life. She was almost like a distant relative to those of us who grew up in a time of austerity, before increasing wealth replaced neighbourliness with "me, me, me" and introduced us to the isolating effect of media and screens.

Yesterday's announcement left me stunned and in tears, because I foolishly believed that she would go on for ever. It's the end of an era. Final closure on a time that began with unlocked doors and real community.

I fully understand that people have very different views to mine which are fashioned by age and life's up's and down's, but in my opinion the respect being shown nationally and worldwide is reassuring.

Football is an ever present in my life as well, but I can wait a couple of weeks while I adjust to the fact that life has just changed irrevocably for me. The monarchy will never be the same and that is probably for the best as we move on in a different era.

The decision to cancel this weekend matches is the least we can do to mark the passing of a true icon. We will never see her like again. RIP your Majesty.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Will there be postponed or cancelled. Intrigued to know our next fixture will be 

They can't cancel, it will be postponed. But when it is postponed to is the 64k$ question. They will, or at least should, want to have all teams having played about the same number of games. Having 3 or 4 games in hand is not good as we saw during Covid. To keep the teams having played the same amount of games and if the Saints game is postponed too, I can see these being replayed in 2023. The schedule is already packed for the teams competing in Europe

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

They can't cancel, it will be postponed. But when it is postponed to is the 64k$ question. They will, or at least should, want to have all teams having played about the same number of games. Having 3 or 4 games in hand is not good as we saw during Covid. To keep the teams having played the same amount of games and if the Saints game is postponed too, I can see these being replayed in 2023. The schedule is already packed for the teams competing in Europe

Just play them on a european night, shouldn't be too difficult as Lyon played a fixture on Tuesday which was played at same time as two CL games.

Don't really want postponed games being withheld until next year like the Burnley home game from last December was taking 5 months to be replayed.

Seems there are fixture in other sports going ahead this weekend so don't see why next weekend's programme has to be cancelled aswell bar the fixtures around London which will need to be shifted for the funeral.

Edited by VillaChris