Pre Match thread

ender4

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just play them on a european night, shouldn't be too difficult as Lyon played a fixture on Tuesday which was played at same time as two CL games.

The problem with that is there are 7 PL clubs in European competition and they wouldn't be able to play their 'catch-up' games and they will get pushed out. 

I would have thought its best to cancel next weeks matches as its respectful and gives time to plan and not waste all the efforts and commitments to show matches elsewhere in the world. However we would then miss what could be an important home match which could drastically effect confidence. Im sure other teams would have similar argument. The needs for Poling the funeral and some people using the matches for demonstrations or protest does mean that something needs doing.

So theres no easy answer.

19 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I remember vividly the street party outside my nursery on the day of the Queen's coronation and the happiness that surrounded me. I was three and a half at the time and it's one of my earliest memories.

70 years have past during which Queen Elizabeth was a reassuring figure constantly in the back ground of my life. She was almost like a distant relative to those of us who grew up in a time of austerity, before increasing wealth replaced neighbourliness with "me, me, me" and introduced us to the isolating effect of media and screens.

Yesterday's announcement left me stunned and in tears, because I foolishly believed that she would go on for ever. It's the end of an era. Final closure on a time that began with unlocked doors and real community.

I fully understand that people have very different views to mine which are fashioned by age and life's up's and down's, but in my opinion the respect being shown nationally and worldwide is reassuring.

Football is an ever present in my life as well, but I can wait a couple of weeks while I adjust to the fact that life has just changed irrevocably for me. The monarchy will never be the same and that is probably for the best as we move on in a different era.

The decision to cancel this weekend matches is the least we can do to mark the passing of a true icon. We will never see her like again. RIP your Majesty.

Whilst I certainly respect your views, would it not have been better for people to come together and show their collective respect? Cancelling the games has denied people that opportunity. Most of those who were going to attend the games will now have no opportunity to publicly show their feelings for the Queen and new King. 

• Like 2

Personally I would have had the games go ahead this weekend and have them postponed if needed for next weekend, when the state funeral is happening and state resources need to be concentrated in the capital. This would have the benefit of allowing those who had made plans for tommorow to be able to attend without being out of pocket and ensure stability before a very high security event.

However, there was a meeting at 9am today between the teams and I can imagine most of the CEO's of the clubs being the great and good types, who would prefer to take the path of least resistance and not be the person to put an alternative view across. They won't be considering the average fan in this, for example the cost of booking train tickets, match tickets, when the fixture will next be played etc....you know the type i am talking about.

on a personal basis i have no strong feeling about the game being postponed, however others might and therefore it would have made sense to 'keep calm and carry on' for tommorow, as i'm sure the queen would have wanted for the nation. in Britian we have lost that stiff upper lip that everyone says we are famous for, what with all the covid stuff last year and now this. I think we should be bolder and that it would have been good to carry on

47 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The Queen was born into a position of being the most important person in the country

To be fair, she worked her way up to that position from the lowly ranks of a humble Princess.

As for the match, it’s a shame it’s been postponed from a sporting point of view and I don’t think it’s the right decision. 

• Like 2

I love the monarchy but I don’t understand the cancelling of the weekend games.  Everybody has to work today and others are working the weekend so why cancel the football as the sign of respect when everybody else has to work.  

There are many ways to mark respect but cancelling the games in isolation to most other activities doesn’t make sense.  If we are going to mourn we all do it in a day of mourning or we don’t, and individuals do their own mark of respect.  I’m not sure how cancelling football is a mark of respect.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wict01 said:

Exactly. Why is me going to a football match on Saturday less respectful than me going to work today? Am I expected to cancel all leisure activities for private mourning and yet continue to work and generate profits for the rich and powerful? Honestly don't get it.

No that's exactly it. Show reverence for the empire, but don't let it impact your ability to generate profits for others.

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Its not just a normal weekend? They'll be hundreds of thousands of people traveling to London....

They'll be draft extra police from all over the country 

It's London!

It has the best transport system in the country (at the expense of the rest of the country) and it's very used to having large numbers of visitors on special occasions it easily has the infrastructure to cope with that.

• Like 2