Pre Match thread

ender4

20 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Got tbe utmost respect for her but that doesnt mean football should stop.. it actually gives people a chance to pay their respects. 

Postponing 2 games in this mental season is going to cause chaos. 

It’s a strange one, I get that it is the respectful thing to do but if it is a period of mourning, I would imagine the football going public would like to come together at games for silences and anthems, a bit like the West Ham game last night. I’m not sure what an official period of mourning is going to look like when most people will have no choice but to go about their daily lives.

I don’t have massively strong feelings on it apart from disappointment if the Southampton game gets called off as it was to be my sons first night game and he was excited.

From a Villa perspective, it doesn’t allow us to sort out the managerial situation during the international break now, as any changes will be put on hold. New signings will get to bed in though and if the games get rearranged towards the end of the season, there is a chance Carlos maybe back fit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Given her life you know 😭

Exactly. How many palaces does she own?

For the record, I’m not against the monarch, I’m neither here nor there on it, I just refute the idea that she had anything other than a f****** wonderful, easy life. 

Again, people can show respect and mourn without the need to cancel football matches. I don’t get what that achieves. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t really see why sporting events are cancelled tbh. 

I couldn’t care less if Villa played this weekend or not, I’m just not quite sure why cancelling sporting events is necessary. 

Maybe I don’t get it. 

I think one of the main issues is about policing and security. There are standards that need to be met at stadiums, and the police are already being stretched. 

London is apparently seeing a huge increase in visitors, and colleagues travelling to London this morning are telling me they're journeys are up to an hour longer. 
As a country we're about the have a massive, visible event, with many Heads of State and politicians attend. There are people in this world who would live to hit such an event, and cause mass panic. This will need a massive security effort, taking police from around the country. The local cops can't just pop down to London for the funeral, and everything will be OK. Training will need to be specific to the event, the day and time of year.
The disruption stated last night, and will go on into the days after the funeral - so about 2 weeks. I'm afraid life just cannot go on as normal during this period. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so it sounds like the government have washed their hands of the matter and basically said to the various sporting governing bodies "it's up to you lot what you decide to do"

i can't imagine the PL will want to cancel, so my money would be on this weekend going ahead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's called respect for those who forgot or have none.

Disrespect for everything and anything seems to be the norm these days.

#sigh 

Think I'll take a break off VT for a few days...seems to be a lot of anger on here of late...

"Respect". We are grown people here, not school kids. Respect is earned and not a birthright. Cancelling all sport out of respect, respect for what exactly? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It is called respect for those who forgot or have none.

Disrespect for everything and anything seems to be the norm these days.

I don't understand the first line, and the second is overreaction. I think the points made against cancellation are massively respectful and measured on the whole, where yours is disproportionate and lacks respect for alternative opinion.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It's done to make it look like a big deal and to increase the footprint of the Monarchy. Imagine if nothing was cancelled and there wasn't wall to wall media coverage of the Queen's passing. That gives people the impression the monarchy doesn't matter. However getting everything cancelled and having millions waving miniature union jacks is just the propaganda you need to make people think the monarchy are relevant and are a good thing for the country. Whether that's actually the case, meh, their are decent arguments for and against.

TDLR; Its just propaganda, plain and simple. That's the only reason sports are cancelled. 

Cheers. 

13 hours ago, WHY said:

What the President who comes and goes every few years. The Queen has given her life to our country for the last 70 years, it’s about RESPECT. 

I dont remember games being called off for Captain Tom who probably gave more of his life for his country

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

"Respect". We are grown people here, not school kids. Respect is earned and not a birthright. Cancelling all sport out of respect, respect for what exactly? 

Exactly. Why is me going to a football match on Saturday less respectful than me going to work today? Am I expected to cancel all leisure activities for private mourning and yet continue to work and generate profits for the rich and powerful? Honestly don't get it.

• Like 3