Pre Match thread

ender4

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's London!

It has the best transport system in the country (at the expense of the rest of the country) and it's very used to having large numbers of visitors on special occasions it easily has the infrastructure to cope with that.

Don't get me wrong I'm annoyed we aren't playing. We needed this game to see where we stand regarding our manager, leaving us in purgatory for longer than needed. 

Used to large numbers yes but this is the Queen dying. The biggest "event" in the last 70 years in the UK. This will be unusual amounts of numbers and numbers never seen before. Policing events that don't necessarily need to go ahead have been cancelled. The police that would probably worked those events will be transferred to London to help control things there. 

15 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Do people forget that there are teams in London? It'd be carnage/near impossible to go ahead from a travel and policing perspective 

Not sure why games taking place hundreds of miles away should be impacted and lumped in.

Villa v Southampton must be in bottom 5 in the categories West Midlands Police rank for our home games (unless anyone on here can remember flashpoints with their fans at VP in recent seasons).

Given it's Friday night I assume they'll also struggle to sell out their allocation so may just take the bottom tier.

You don't need endless police resources to fulfil that fixture even with 40k crowd so while I can understand the feeling as to why this weekend's games had to be called off I can't see the same reason for next weekend and you have to apply match by match decisions for that.

4 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Don't get me wrong I'm annoyed we aren't playing. We needed this game to see where we stand regarding our manager, leaving us in purgatory for longer than needed. 

Used to large numbers yes but this is the Queen dying. The biggest "event" in the last 70 years in the UK. This will be unusual amounts of numbers and numbers never seen before. Policing events that don't necessarily need to go ahead have been cancelled. The police that would probably worked those events will be transferred to London to help control things there. 

Can only go by news but seems many people milling around Buckingham Palace gates are either London residents or tourists visiting so think next weekend or whenever funeral takes place will see the mass exodus down for the day from other parts of the country.

I doubt all of that will be taking place next Friday evening so it really shouldn't be impacting on our next scheduled fixture.

It would make more sense to call off next week's football before the funeral. If they cancel next week's as well they have to shoe horn in 2 rounds of football in a condensed season already. And that is before any matches being called off due to any poor weather. 24 hours before a game is not ideal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Am I being a bit thick here, if our next two matches are postponed, does it mean we still play Leicester and Southampton next and reschedule all the other remaining games or will we play Leeds followed by Forrest and try and fit the two missed games in somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Am I being a bit thick here, if our next two matches are postponed, does it mean we still play Leicester and Southampton next and reschedule all the other remaining games or will we play Leeds followed by Forrest and try and fit the two missed games in somewhere. 

The Premier League will schedule them for a time that is inconvenient to all teams and fans. They don't care as long as they make money.

24 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm comfortable with the game having been cancelled as a sign of respect; that's the pageantry that comes with being British I guess.

But in terms of numbers travelling to London this weekend, I'd bet it's a lot less than the two million that attended the Notting Hill carnival a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1