Match Thread: Villa v Wesr Ham

limpid

We're looking good so far so I'm gonna throw out my hot take. For all his qualities, Ramsey is not suited to CM, especially the way we play. He's still young and I'm sure he will become a much better CM in time, but he needs to mature as a player to play there imo.

He doesn't have the positional discipline, consistency in passing ability or defensive abiliy to operate effectively in that role, the first two I think McGinn shares too, so when the two play in midfield we look far too open and without options in build up. We need someone like Luiz to play otherwise Kamara ends up far too isolated far too often.

I think he'd be much better suited to playing further up the pitch where he can utilise his dribbling and close control that he excels at, without risking too much defensively in the midfield. He's still only 21, I think he just needs a couple more seasons to mature as a player before consistently starting in the midfield.

• Like 2

Just now, NoelVilla said:

Midfield looks much better but sometimes McGinns positioning is very weird.

Can't remember him doing anything good this game, again. Luiz and Kamara look good, Coutinho looks very good, but there's just a big void in the middle. May as well be playing with 10

• Like 1

Nice and solid but uninspiring, this is the issue with 2 up top is that we can't create anything and resort to 50/50 balls throw into the box. Ings/Watkins get dragged out wide trying to help but they aren't suited there.

Take a CM off for Buendia and take one of Ings or Watkins off for Bailey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

We're looking good so far so I'm gonna throw out my hot take. For all his qualities, Ramsey is not suited to CM, especially the way we play. He's still young and I'm sure he will become a much better CM in time, but he needs to mature as a player to play there imo.

He doesn't have the positional discipline, consistency in passing ability or defensive abiliy to operate effectively in that role, the first two I think McGinn shares too, so when the two play in midfield we look far too open and without options in build up. We need someone like Luiz to play otherwise Kamara ends up far too isolated far too often.

I think he'd be much better suited to playing further up the pitch where he can utilise his dribbling and close control that he excels at, without risking too much defensively in the midfield. He's still only 21, I think he just needs a couple more seasons to mature as a player before consistently starting in the midfield.

not really a hot take imo ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

The double pivot is helping us hold on to possession but holding us back from being more creative in the final third.

Playing 2 strikers and mcginn is what's doing that. Give us Bailey and Buendia instead of Ings and McGinn and we'd have unlocked this game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

The double pivot is helping us hold on to possession but holding us back from being more creative in the final third.

Think it's the front 2 that is the issue. Buendia or Bailey would offer more imo.