Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

56 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh for pity’s sake. I spent some time I will never get back yesterday encouraging people not to obsess about the past in terms of who said what about Dean Smith because it is a long time in the past now and irrelevant.

But really to start talking about Steve Bruce, FFS, do you know how long it is since Bruce has anything to do with this club? And quite how massively our present situation differs from how things were when Bruce was manager?

@TRO certainly doesn’t need me to defend him but it is such arrant nonsense to say that he “liked Bruce” and such a distortion of the facts, you should hang your head in shame. I remember well disagreeing with @TRO because he spotted much earlier than I did that Bruce was leading us to failure.

The sad fact is Brin.....I defended Bruce against the vitriol, that was aimed at him, not me saying he was a great manager......mind you after today, The baggies fans, might think he is.lol

I have explained this so many times on here, and yet folk still quote a headline " You loved Bruce" or to that affect......even when I explain my stance, it doesn't register with some, because they want the narrative, that appeals to them.

better get back on topic.....not sure, with this Sarr signing.

Edited by TRO

Bailey might be away, possibly. 

Looked bright in pre season but our tactics since the real stuff started would kill the enthusiasm of most players. 

He still has a decent rep in Europe even if he hasn't done a whole lot in a Villa shirt. 

I avoided this place since the game to avoid the meltdown and I come on to see we are signing Sarr. I am hoping it is the beer that is causing me not to understand this and in the morning it will all make sense 

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the club knows exactly what it's doing. Signing a winger tells me either Gerrard is completely changing his approach or they are preparing for the next manager. 

I was thinking this. Also seems like a Lange signing, possibly without much Gerrard input. Would Gerrard really want another young winger, I doubt it.

Pre season this move would have been laughed at on here, so would the appointment of Potter by many a few months back. The fan base is impatient and unwilling to wait for progress to be made. Money will no longer buy success, Chelsea and City got in early with that, Liverpool had to wait for recent success and are now in a position to buy big when the opportunity arises. Sadly we need to accept that apart from our ground and following ( chose not to use support) we are not currently a big club that title has to be earned and we are a long way off achieving that. Changing managers and slagging off players on a daily basis is not going to change things overnight. Patience is needed I’m not sure that is possible reading comments on here and other platforms the future of our club looks bleak because our followers can’t accept that development and progress takes time and patience.

Edited by smg
Missed word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the club knows exactly what it's doing. Signing a winger tells me either Gerrard is completely changing his approach or they are preparing for the next manager. 

That's a great sign of a manager who understands what he has. Full preseason? Yup. Time.to build a tactic and a structure with his own players? Yup.

Awful start to the season where everything looks broken and the players don't seem to know their roles? Yup.

Rip it up and start again after 3 games and need to buy more players? Yup again.

Just awesome!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Patience is needed I’m not sure that is possible reading comments on here and other platforms the future of our club looks bleak because our followers can’t accept that development and progress takes time and patience.

You are right that football fans don't have patience. But can you honestly say that there has been any progress whatsoever in the 9 months Gerrard has been in charge? 

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

Oh boy, get ready for more long balls.

Get ready for the chase squad with Watkins and Sarr up top. Mings is going to be worn out punting the ball down the channel 50 times a game. 

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Pre season this move would have been laughed at on here, so would the appointment of Potter by many a few months back. The fan base is impatient and unwilling to wait for progress to be made. Money will no longer buy success, Chelsea and City got in early with that, Liverpool had to wait for recent success and are now in a position to buy big when the opportunity arises. Sadly we need to accept that apart from our ground and following ( chose not to use support) we are not currently a big club that title has to be earned and we are a long way off achieving that. Changing managers and slagging off players on a daily basis is not going to change things overnight. Patience is needed I’m not sure that is possible reading comments on here and other platforms the future of our club looks bleak because our followers can’t accept that development and progress takes time and patience.

I’ve been patient for 10 months, I’ve seen palace make great progress in that time. Newcastle probably even more. Brentford have come up and established themselves in one season. I’m not buying the patience nonsense. We’ve seen very little in the the past 10 months to show he deserves it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I was thinking this. Also seems like a Lange signing, possibly without much Gerrard input. Would Gerrard really want another young winger, I doubt it.

Gerrard would probably want a winner like Ross Barkley

well I've read far too much of this topic just to try and find something more than rumours.  what I have read is quite depressing.  I know we need a central midfielder more and Carlos has left us short at cb oh and an upgrade on watking/ings would be nice but ultimately Sarr is a quality young player that if we can get playing like he did when Watford first came up then we've got a star at a very good price.  Granted he doesn't fit how Gerard plays and I'm not sure how you play him with Coutinho but he's a cracking player I'm glad we may sign.  Gerard is a scrotum though.  Get rid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

That's a great sign of a manager who understands what he has. Full preseason? Yup. Time.to build a tactic and a structure with his own players? Yup.

Awful start to the season where everything looks broken and the players don't seem to know their roles? Yup.

Rip it up and start again after 3 games and need to buy more players? Yup again.

Just awesome!

The club made a mistake with Gerrard, hopefully acknowledge it and, fingers crossed, are taking corrective action.

It concerns me that the club went for a manager who had a very different approach to the previous one.  It means a big transfer spend and turnover of the playing staff to get the right players in for the new regime. A new manager will probably have quite a different approach again (as no one In their right mind would follow Gerrard's tactics). Evolution, not revolution, was the smart choice, but we chose the latter. 

9 minutes ago, smg said:

I think the fanbase is perfectly patient. Most predicted a mid table finish this season and considered Europe out of reach. And most seemed fine with that. Slow progress and all that. But we seem to be regressing badly under Gerrard. And we have bombed out players who have cost us a lot of money. Clubs with our revenue can’t afford to do that. Signing Sarr just feels like we are burning the original signings and throwing more cash at the problem. 

Â