Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Saar has been available all summer, so our late interest in him might be the first indication that Gerrard has finally realised that he can't continue playing his favoured narrow system with overlapping wing backs.

If he has decided to change to a system that actually allows pacy wingers to operate in front of holding full backs then signing Saar makes sense.

We still desperately need to sign a classy and physical CM partner for Kamara, and a big strong RCB to replace the woeful Konsa, but we also desperately need to change our tactical set up otherwise we're throwing money away by buying these players if SG isn't willing to change.

They might have been waiting for other clubs to come in for him, with a view to starting a bidding war, but have now decided to accept our offer. I understand the clubs have agreed the deal, but the player has yet to (from what I've read in the press). That may be why we have said nothing as yet on the potential deal, perhaps the player wants other options and that is why he/his agent has leaked the story. He would be a good signing, but it's I believe it when he's in the shirt and he has signed a contract one, at the moment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You have to wonder what would convince him to join us rather than West Ham considering he gets to stay in London. I can only assume we offer him more money. 

It’s his dream to play under Pochettino. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Surprised to see nothing from the club if this report is true.

If we agree a transfer with a club, we are usually very quick to post "Aston Villa has agreed a deal for X player, subject to medical/work permit etc".

Nothing like that i can see, makes me wonder if we are as far along with this one as reported.

Probably means they’re not close on personal terms yet.

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You have to wonder what would convince him to join us rather than West Ham considering he gets to stay in London. I can only assume we offer him more money. 

Have you seen the house prices down there? 

Bizarre signing. Shades of Ings. Doesn't appear to address an obvious need. Adds an additional obstacle to playing time for our other forwards. Adds more wages to to bill.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

They are 2 different things. Think you are confused

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I know they are, that is why I believe u are getting confused. We were discussing Sarr and highline and u switched to low block 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

No we cant beat a low block thats our problem

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe re read the comments

We struggle against the low block. Sarr is only good against a high line. Not sure what the issue is as thats the opposite of what we need

Maybe play the double pivot with DM and attacking CDM or even the single pivot with a R-DVD and and ACL to beat both the high line and the low block whilst also utilising a GSCE for the high press.  Gotta play the percentages buddies. 

Failing that we could play a big centre forward and lump it up to him using lateral over arcing centre line passes. 

If Bailey and Sarr play I think it's to set up how City do in their front 3. Wide players holding the width and running at defenders. This threat of pace from our wide will give us a new dimension.

It can only work with a change to the full backs approach. So this I think will happen. The ultra attacking fullbacks has failed when we've not played a Midfield diamond.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

If Bailey and Sarr play I think it's to set up how City do in their front 3. Wide players holding the width and running at defenders. This threat of pace from our wide will give us a new dimension.

It can only work with a change to the full backs approach. So this I think will happen. The ultra attacking fullbacks has failed when we've not played a Midfield diamond.

It would be a departure from every match under Gerrard so far.

So while it would be a move towards a formation that can work, it worries me as a panic buy.

Not once, not even pre-season did we setup with any proper wide men.

Hopefully Critchley taking the reigns.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A proper 433 or 4231 is the way to go, the two most used formations in modern football for a reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

When we buy Sarr, a new central defender and another no.8, i think we will be fine just looking at the probable lineup.

image.png.52aa2df1005f64a22e5348ef01f5c5d9.png

"They've been listening in the classroom. Learning exactly how we want them to play"

And that's what we end up with. Every game.

He really is a less cringe worthy Sherwood. Exactly the same level of ability though.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

"They've been listening in the classroom. Learning exactly how we want them to play"

He really is a less cringe worthy Sherwood. Exactly the same level of ability though.

are you sure?? 😆

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Be fair to Sherwood, he got a reaction from a worse squad and took us to a cup final. Sherwood is levels above gerrard

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It would be a departure from every match under Gerrard so far.

So while it would be a move towards a formation that can work, it worries me as a panic buy.

Not once, not even pre-season did we setup with any proper wide men.

Hopefully Critchley taking the reigns.

We have though, we've had Bailey playing wide and Coutinho/Buendia cutting in. Yesterday was the same 4 3 3 and one wide forward coming centrally 

• Like 1

Having initially been astounded that we weren't concentrating all our available funds on a really good CM and a commanding RCB, I'm warming to this signing because we have to make a tactical change to get the best out of his undoubted talents.

I'm going to jump the gun and say "Welcome Ismaila"!

• Like 1

Â