Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

26 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Think this is a brilliant signing, the guy has talent and pace to burn. 

Don't see this as a ‘panic’ buy either, IMO we need more attacking options having already sold Carney and Trez, and with Anwar and Bertie looking increasingly likely to leave. He can also play quite comfortably through the middle, so would be a useful alternative to Bailey or Watkins.

Deals often take weeks of negotiating and I suspected this signing will be in addition to both a new CB and No8 coming in. 

It's not a panic buy.  He's an upgrade on Trez, El Ghazi, and Traore, but he isn't the player a lot on this board think he is.  He's the new Shane Long or Vagner Love where the "I only watch Villa" crowd think he's amazing because he performs against us but is extremely inconsistent in his other games.  In today's market 25 million is probably market value for him, which is why nobody came in for him before us this summer.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I didn't realise Watford were on TV so often. It was only last season he ripped us apart. Was it the 2nd half of last season he lost his pace? How did he look in pre season? 

Who needs TV when you've got Wyscout?

He barely showed it if indeed he still had it. Bit like Bailey for us I suppose.

Pre-season is pointless to watch for judging a player. I'm sure you know that though.

lol...  Watford's fans seem delighted at the fee and they're being shot of him...  Not a good sign...

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ismaila-sarr.57245/page-118

He's described by Watford fans as a one dimensional pace merchant who is lazy and doesn't use it most of the time, not worth 25 million... Considering they paid 28 million pounds for him to begin with, they're very happy.

18 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's not a panic buy.  He's an upgrade on Trez, El Ghazi, and Traore, but he isn't the player a lot on this board think he is.  He's the new Shane Long or Vagner Love where the "I only watch Villa" crowd think he's amazing because he performs against us but is extremely inconsistent in his other games.  In today's market 25 million is probably market value for him, which is why nobody came in for him before us this summer.  

image.thumb.png.737a66a68fb8ea9caf173c3574656c8e.png

CASE IN POINT:  https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ismaila-sarr.57245/page-120

So we lose to Bournmouth and Palace mostly due to an inffectional ( and imo poorly coached ) Mf and the answer is 25 mil on another attacker ..

I guess this is so when we punt it to Watkins someone might be closer to him because that's pretty much out one tactic 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I don't even think he's necessarily better than them tbh. I really do not like this signing.

2 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

Think this is a brilliant signing, the guy has talent and pace to burn. 

Don't see this as a ‘panic’ buy either, IMO we need more attacking options having already sold Carney and Trez, and with Anwar and Bertie looking increasingly likely to leave. He can also play quite comfortably through the middle, so would be a useful alternative to Bailey or Watkins.

Deals often take weeks of negotiating and I suspected this signing will be in addition to both a new CB and No8 coming in. 

Good post. Gives me hope. Cheers!

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

lol...  Watford's fans seem delighted at the fee and they're being shot of him...  Not a good sign...

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ismaila-sarr.57245/page-118

He's described by Watford fans as a one dimensional pace merchant who is lazy and doesn't use it most of the time, not worth 25 million... Considering they paid 28 million pounds for him to begin with, they're very happy.

Fairly accurate. Similar to Adama Traore, he'll turn up every few matches, look fantastic and get all the attention, but run repeatedly into dead ends or just plain do nothing the rest of the time. He had a decent season for an out-and-out winger his first time in the PL (5 goals and about as many assists iirc), but he's also started picking up hamstring injuries somewhat regularly over the past couple years, which is a very bad sign for a player whose primary asset is pace.

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is true.

I’ve completely lost faith in this project under Purslow and Lange now. They’re in an extremely fortunate position with the money and freedom they seem to be given but we’re going backwards whilst spending an alarming amount of money.

Surely Wes Edens in particular isn’t going to stand for this much longer? 

Gerrard is a huge problem but our general transfer/scouting policy is bang average if you ask me. People can talk about Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos etc. but these players are joining because we’re paying them huge wages which they probably can’t get elsewhere. Do we actually do any scouting other than on the players well known to absolutely everybody throughout Europe? 

Really losing faith in the set up at the moment. I have no bad feelings towards Sarr and will get behind him if he joins (I don’t think he’s a bad player) but he couldn’t be further from what we need at the moment. It smacks of desperation, poor planning and a huge lack of any sort of football judgment. 

Weirdly, I think our transfer/scouting policy is similar to Manchester United’s, just on a smaller scale - throw money at different players, regardless of position and hope it works. There seems to be no interest at all in selling players when the time is right or trying to actualise a profit on anybody. It’s just buy, if it doesn’t work, buy, if it doesn’t work, buy, change manager, buy, if it doesn’t work, buy, while all the time completely completely neglecting central midfield. 

Concerned.

Cooper and Syrianos from Forest I think are brilliant.

Cooper has about 15 new players and has them playing like a team immediately.

God knows what Gerrard would do without hundreds of millions. Joke.

We are in relegation trouble.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This is just reminding me of Charles NZogbia

Eeerily similar. We’re putting together a bloated, ageing squad of players in a mish mash of positions and spending tens of millions doing so.

We’re going to end up like Everton. Give it 2 years. 

• Like 1

If we sign Caleta-Car and a top drawer #8 or some under the radar wonder kid then I think this will sit OK with me but it papers over the cracks. If Gerrard doesn’t get everything sorted like next game, the run of fixtures coming up has him sacked during the World Cup break.

• Like 1

Quality signing our new manager will know how to use him I’m convinced, Sarr right Bailey left Emi B as the 10, just need Ings or Ollie firing!

Go get someone like Sander Berg to play along side Kamara in a 4-2-3-1 sell McGinn to manure all sorted!

Â