Pre-match thread

wedge

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Zaha vs Mings will be interesting again. Hopefully the red card goes to Palace this time.

This is a big worry for me. Zaha consistently seems to be able to get under Mings’ skin, and pair that with Kansa not showing great form means our defence could be particularly vulnerable today. Hope that Bouba can help keep the pressure off.

• Like 1

Score first and we will at least get a draw and hopefully a win. If they score first then even a draw will be really difficult to come by. I’m backing little Phil to come in and turn the game in our favour. COYVB. UTV.

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think SG sees a lot in Konsa and wants to see if he can get his old form back. He has played very little since his return from injury and needs game time to sharpen up. If we don't see improvement in Konsa in the coming games I expect he will be dropped for Chambers. Luiz could be a good call, maybe SG wants to see the impact of playing Bailey and Emi2 together behind a striker with JJ flying up the middle before he starts changing the midfield?

Good call.

It's definitely looking a much changed shape assuming Bailey plays as a wide forward. And yeah, if that is the case, we might not end up so exposed by full backs going walkabout. I'll withhold my earlier concerns for now. 

Who knows, maybe it will all suddenly click and we'll look like the every blade of grass covering world beaters we did shortly after he arrived.  Stranger things have happened.  That's not said in jest either.

You've given me some optimism... Damn you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Surprised to see Ings dropped, thought he worked well with Watkins last game.

Not feeling confident at all about this one despite us arguably having a better player in almost every position. But we tend to win when I think we won’t and for the opposite see Bournemouth.

So 2-0 Villa.

Ings was playing with a knock last week so I imagine he's resting him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In theory I'd have Ings in there too, but he just doesn't work as a lone striker.

Yeah, got to feel for him.

It appears the team is more geared towards energy, running and counter attacking, than " panache " though.

For all his faults Ollie offers energy and nuisance in abundance.

My main gripe is probably Konsa over Chambers.

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, penguin said:

Surprised to see Ings dropped, thought he worked well with Watkins last game.

Not feeling confident at all about this one despite us arguably having a better player in almost every position. But we tend to win when I think we won’t and for the opposite see Bournemouth.

So 2-0 Villa.

SG seems to go for the 2 of them at home and one up front away. IMO it should make no difference home or away. The pitch is pretty much the same size and if anything the away fans are louder than the Holte (Unless we have already done something good) 

Edited by Robtaylor200

Once again the posters who would literally lose their shit over a Dean Smith team selection mocking anyone who is critical of a Gerrard selection. 

Do they know they're doing it? 

I'm happy with this starting 11. I'm hoping we look like a good team and don't lose the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah, got to feel for him.

It appears the team is more geared towards energy, running and counter attacking, than " panache " though.

For all his faults Ollie offers energy and nuisance in abundance.

My main gripe is probably Konsa over Chambers.

I thought Ings looked sharp against Bournmouth but ultimately it was a terrible team performance. 

I wonder if at home We'll see a front 2 and away a lone striker. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We win the manager is clueless. We lose the manager is clueless. But we’re the best FaNs In tHe wOrLd….

Not really. We win playing tactically well and that’s a good start, Gerrard just needs to show that he can do that over many games as so far he’s failed. 

We lose and his record gets even worse, worse than Sherwood, Lambert, etc.

Get to an overall 40% win rate with a tactically astute playing style and then let’s talk again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Good call.

It's definitely looking a much changed shape assuming Bailey plays as a wide forward. And yeah, if that is the case, we might not end up so exposed by full backs going walkabout. I'll withhold my earlier concerns for now. 

Who knows, maybe it will all suddenly click and we'll look like the every blade of grass covering world beaters we did shortly after he arrived.  Stranger things have happened.  That's not said in jest either.

You've given me some optimism... Damn you!

Hopefully it does click. 😃

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Another game and another throw darts at a board system in attack 😂

He might have stumbled on a good frontline but with Ings for Watkins

we get it.

you love Gerrard.

get a goddam room you two.

• Haha 1