Match Thread: Villa v Everton

limpid

Everton are a really poor team but if we can see out the victory and maybe get another goal or two that will give us confidence and hopefully allow us to improve.

Hope it doesn’t make us complacent though, we have so much to improve upon…

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Not sure Coutinho has done anything wrong. Tracked back pretty well. It’s just so limiting when we don’t attack with any kind of urgency. This tactic of letting the opposing team get everyone back before we move forward needs to stop…

Everton are trying to be compact out of possession which means there wasn't much space for Phil. He did make some really good challenges though, which was a welcome surprise. 

Edited by Made In Aston

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

We need to fix our shape from corners it’s a joke. Other than that it’s been alright from us, still too slow moving the ball and when we pick the pace up we look dangerous. 

Keeping the ball in this heat will do us favours, it’ll tire out the Everton players and we still have Buendia, Archer and Bailey to bring on. 

This is the time to show our killer instinct.

...not getting JJ to mark Tarkowski at corners might be a start. It's a no-contest in there...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

How the hell did we get Kamara 😂

I can't get my head round it either. It really does look like we've signed a top class, special player. Fair dues to all involved.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Everytime I see Coutinho I just wonder how much more effective and involved Buendia would be (and always is when he comes in). Ideally I’d like to have both in the team but Emi offers so much more..

Credit to Ings, loved the determination to get that goal.

Don’t think we’ve looked great but winning breeds confidence…

I still can’t believe McGinn is our captain…

Bouba is just a class above any player on that pitch 👏 

Get him some help.

I’d love to find a way to play both, yes you’d lack some pace but it would be one of the most creative attack forces in the league.

Just now, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Just because he is not doing highlight reel stuff, his overall play I thought has been pretty good - movement, tracking, passing all been ok.  

McGinn's passing has been awful. Consistently slowing us down. Letting them get organised. Not pressuring them with ball movement at all. Hiding from the ball when it is on the left. 

Just now, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Just because he is not doing highlight reel stuff, his overall play I thought has been pretty good - movement, tracking, passing all been ok.  

He's not been as bad as he has been,. but I think "pretty good" is pushing it, and every time I see him, I just think Buendia would be doing more

He's not in our best first 11, for me

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

One thing that is always obvious from these match threads is the view of we’re winning then we’re great and playing well.

And if we’re not winning then we’re playing badly.

The score line and the performance being directly connected, which is often not the case.

I think we are playing ok, AND winning?

We've had some very good moments and some very shakey moments, but positive on the whole IMO.

Have to reluctantly say I think McGinn is actually our weakest link.

Another midfielder beside Kamara takes this team up a level.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think Buendia would be brilliant in Ramsey role or Mcginn

He’s our most creative player and potentially our most dangerous.

Killer through balls are just what we need and it’s effortless for him…

Never quiet, never disappears, always wants to get involved and works so hard.

We need to find a place for him in the side…

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Better than last week.

Ramsey is back, has woken up and realised preseason is finished.

Watkins and Ings both looking better, tough I think despite the goal, Watkins has looked better.

Coutinho missing again, 

McGinn slowing everything down and losing possession too much, but he's not as bad as last week, though still our weakest player imo.

Kamara class.

McGinn won the ball and launched the longball for Ollie in the build-up to the goal. Otherwise yes not the best game so far.

Defensive set-pieces a big worry. Ludwig would make us better in defending them. Ings in the front post should have cleared two corners. Small mistakes in the box can easily lead to goals.

1 minute ago, Niall said:

I can't get my head round it either. It really does look like we've signed a top class, special player. Fair dues to all involved.

Glad we got him instead of Bissouma who from his tweet couple of years ago clearly wanted to go to London team