Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Every time there seems hope. That our players are not as bad as we see them, something happens. They are very weak mentally it seems. They can be dominated physically it seems. They are incredibly inconsistent it seems. However 12 months ago that could have been Newcastle i was describing.

Going to be another tough season in a league that has teams levelling up all the time . 

when you suck a sherbert.....its hard on the outside, then you eventually get to the centre and its mushy and sour, all fizzy and tangy.

Thats where we are, with this team.

• Haha 2

The confidence among this group of players that was gained by that win against Brentford is only a thin coat on veneer that cracks easily if things goes against them. The way Gerrard has managed then, coached then and sent them out to play has destroyed whatever little was left after that poor 2021 under Smith.

It's going to be a long way to rebuild it under Emery but at least we got him in so it should all work out once he gets that blessed World Cup break to work with them. Really hope we don't do anything daft like give em an extended break to go party in Dubai or whatever.

Edit: Just checked and apparently they are heading to Dubai during the break. But for a training camp.

Edited by sne

I think we'll be fine as we have the quality in the dugout and enough generally in the squad to not worry too much about relegation in the end, though I think it may get worse before it gets better given the run of fixtures to come.

image.png

Apart from Man City and Liverpool Away. Pretty much all winnable games with Emery at the helm.
Liverpool have a poor away record this week to the game at Villa Park will be interesting 

Edited by messi11
  • Thanks 1

Wolves (H), Leeds (H), Southampton (A) and Leicester (H) in a row in the new year could be a run that transforms the season to be fair. All sides that are either worse or somehow in even greater disarray than Villa have been.

Edited by Indigo

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Wolves (H), Leeds (H), Southampton (A) and Leicester (H) in a row in the new year could be a run that transforms the season to be fair. All sides that are either worse or somehow in even greater disarray than Villa have been.

Got to absolutely be targeting 10 points minimum from those. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

If we get relegated, do the owners sell?

I think they sell unless we make Europe in the next couple of seasons. The end paragraph of a recent Tom Collomosse article about the Emery appointment hinted that the owners patience was wearing thin. 

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If some players don't want to learn then they'll be out of the door in January I'm sure.

Oh for sure, I just meant I personally expect it would be bumpy until that window opens and he may find it hard to get rid of some until the summer hence the long season comment.

I'm all for Emery and he should be free to make whatever decision he wants, I just think naturally under a management change there are winners and losers and some of them may just be the more experienced players but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think they sell unless we make Europe in the next couple of seasons. The end paragraph of a recent Tom Collomosse article about the Emery appointment hinted that the owners patience was wearing thin. 

That would be very unfortunate.

If they sell up and leave the club without achieving their aims - I think that says a lot about them. I am not too worried, NSWE were one of many suitors to buy the club too. As fans - we have to protect the club and we are not a play thing for disinterested billionaires. We are an asset in demand. I will still be invested IF they sell up, as I was before them. We are Aston Villa.

However, I am not choosing to believe that interpretation though. They have a lot of credit in the bank from me, I think the Emery appointment was aimed towards kicking us on and achieving our aims. I don't think they will give up. As for the paragraph - I am reading those comments as that is aimed threat towards Purslow and Lange - who are running the club on a daily basis. 

21 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

If they sell up and leave the club without achieving their aims - I think that says a lot about them. I am not too worried, NSWE were one of many suitors to buy the club too. As fans - we have to protect the club and we are not a play thing for disinterested billionaires. We are an asset in demand. I will still be invested IF they sell up, as I was before them. We are Aston Villa.

However, I am not choosing to believe that interpretation though. They have a lot of credit in the bank from me, I think the Emery appointment was aimed towards kicking us on and achieving our aims. I don't think they will give up. As for the paragraph - I am reading those comments as that is aimed threat towards Purslow and Lange - who are running the club on a daily basis. 

Yeah, I like your interpretation better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

The confidence among this group of players that was gained by that win against Brentford is only a thin coat on veneer that cracks easily if things goes against them. The way Gerrard has managed then, coached then and sent them out to play has destroyed whatever little was left after that poor 2021 under Smith.

It's going to be a long way to rebuild it under Emery but at least we got him in so it should all work out once he gets that blessed World Cup break to work with them. Really hope we don't do anything daft like give em an extended break to go party in Dubai or whatever.

Edit: Just checked and apparently they are heading to Dubai during the break. But for a training camp.

The win against Brentford gives me a lot of hope.  If we could aim to finish between Brentford and Newcastle I think that would be a good season from where we are currently.  I don't think Emery would have named an unchanged XI for that game yesterday, without disrespecting Danks I think he unsurprisingly showed his naivety.  Newcastle are very strong at the mo so we most likely would have lost the game whoever was manager but I think Emery would have put an extra midfielder in to make us competitive for longer.  I think the season hinges on how quickly we can get a player in the squad for the right wing as it would provide us so much more balance.