Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I'm very unconvinced on this Diego Carlos becomes the ball playing CB.

He plays more passes than Mings but not many progressive passes at all. Koundé was near the top of progressive passes for CBs last season. I get the impression that Carlos played a lot of passes to Koundé who then played the ball out.

Carlos has been said to have been the better defender of the two last year. I buy that. I don't buy that Carlos was the ball playing one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

1) I am a Rangers fan.

2) Yes he is a LB.

3) He has played more at CB this season than not. 

4) Attention and speculation has started due to his performances this season, mainly in the Europa League against quality opposition at CB--the final against Frankfurt and Dortmund to name a couple.

5) He can play both positions to a high standard. 

Seems Bassey is one of those rather rare signings both "one for the future" but also right now capable of covering several spots as a back up and be happy about it.

Also, if his work ethics and the willingness to put in a shift to improve is as splendid as the impression so far, this could be an excellent buy. Both thumbs up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Close, but the best gif of all time was posted just one page ago

Cheers, think I'll just retire from gif making now, might be the last and only chance to quit while on top. 😅

7 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Seems Bassey is one of those rather rare signings both "one for the future" but also right now capable of covering several spots as a back up and be happy about it.

Also, if his work ethics and the willingness to put in a shift to improve is as splendid as the impression so far, this could be an excellent buy. Both thumbs up.

This is one of the reasons I like the idea of signing him so much.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Risso said:

mcGinn isn't good enough to be a regular starter, and if he is, and is given the captaincy it'll be another season where mid table will be the best we can hope for.

The only outfield players at the club who would be regular starters and thus candidates to be captain would be McGinn, Mings and Digne.

Digne has captained Everton about 15 times in the Premier League in his 2 1/2 seasons with Everton so he was probably vice captain under Ancelotti. Unless Gerrard brings in a senior player in midfield who could be captain. It's from that list of 3 or potentially 4 players.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'm very unconvinced on this Diego Carlos becomes the ball playing CB.

He plays more passes than Mings but not many progressive passes at all. Koundé was near the top of progressive passes for CBs last season. I get the impression that Carlos played a lot of passes to Koundé who then played the ball out.

Carlos has been said to have been the better defender of the two last year. I buy that. I don't buy that Carlos was the ball playing one.

Flawed logic.

Kounde being the ball playing CB doesn't mean Carlos hasn't been bought to be our ball playing CB

I watched the last 3 Sevilla games over the weekend specifically to see how he plays, because I don't really follow Spanish footy...  It's uncanny just how similar to Mings he is stylistically.  Incredibly athletic, pacey, good in the air, and very aggressive.  Passing looked similar to Mings with a lot of balls hit forward into the channel, but one thing he seemed to excel at was switching play to the other flank with a long diagonal to the right back.  That said, he didn't seem to be their main passing outlet to me, that was Kounde, and I'm struggling to see how he would partner with Mings vs competing with him for the spot.  

3 hours ago, Risso said:

mcGinn isn't good enough to be a regular starter, and if he is, and is given the captaincy it'll be another season where mid table will be the best we can hope for.

Correct. He isn't a suitable leader either as there are probably a few too many ass pints going on. Also, the poor foreign signings wouldn't understand him, having just learned English.

ex pro footballer and spanish football expert Terry Gibson said some complimentary things about him in a HITC (I know, I know) article. Wasn't aware that Liverpool wanted him a couple of years ago and were quoted $65 million. Getting more and more excited about the signing.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/30/fantastic-player-pundit-cant-believe-aston-villa-sealed-sensational-deal/

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

He does excel at switching play. What I think you're missing while looking is that what makes him a good partner is that he's similar to Tyrone in that he can pass the ball as well. Ezri cannot. This requires Villa to build through Tyrone and the left side almost exclusively. No Premier League team progressed from the left more frequently than we did last season. By putting Diego on the right, there's another option. You don't have to go exclusively through the left anymore, making the build-up more dynamic, and more unpredictable.

Cash, Dougie and Buendia to build from the right. Phil, JJ and Digne from the left. We'll be a major threat in attack now that we've got the defensive 6 seemingly sorted. This formation seems to be particularly reliant on having good players in every single position.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

I watched the last 3 Sevilla games over the weekend specifically to see how he plays, because I don't really follow Spanish footy...  It's uncanny just how similar to Mings he is stylistically.  Incredibly athletic, pacey, good in the air, and very aggressive.  Passing looked similar to Mings with a lot of balls hit forward into the channel, but one thing he seemed to excel at was switching play to the other flank with a long diagonal to the right back.  That said, he didn't seem to be their main passing outlet to me, that was Kounde, and I'm struggling to see how he would partner with Mings vs competing with him for the spot.  

Was he pinging the diagonal balls using his left or right foot? 

Not sure how well that would translate to him playing as our right sided cb?

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Was he pinging the diagonal balls using his left or right foot? 

Not sure how well that would translate to him playing as our right sided cb?

Roughly 85% of his passes last season were with his right foot.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Roughly 85% of his passes last season were with his right foot.

So he won't be arching a ball to the right back, but playing  it down the line for them to run on to. But he would be arching it in to Digne, playing it across field in to his feet effectively . Would we be better off having Mings play on the right?

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

So he won't be arching a ball to the right back, but playing  it down the line for them to run on to. But he would be arching it in to Digne, playing it across field in to his feet effectively . Would we be better off having Mings play on the right?

No idea. I just know that we're better off having two centerbacks who can move the ball. I don't think either are going to be Antonio Rudiger out there, but it's an improvement having two players who are at least capable. Ezri often looks like the idea of passing forward gives him vertigo.

• Like 1

This still hasn’t been announced officially? Getting a bit worried now but that’s my pessimistic side, just need to be patient, good things come to those that wait. I have a good feeling about this transfer, even though I don’t think I have seen him play. I’ve only got YouTube clips to go on but he looks very commanding, I hope that he partners Mings at the back for us and they make a formidable partnership for us but there are some rumours of Newcastle United being in for Mings, I hope not, he was playing brilliantly for us at the end of last season. If this signing of Carlos does go through, we will have real competition for places at centre back with Callum Chambers, Ezri Konsa and Kortney Hause as our back up centre backs

Â