Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

15 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I for one am sick to death of hearing "we gave it a good go, should be proud" after a game against one of the top sides, where we yet again come away with zero points.

Fact is, this season, our record against teams in the top 7, top 8 or whatever, is quite frankly pathetic.

And to capitulate like we did today in the space of five minutes? Embarrassing. And we have to wait three months to erase this one from the memory.

I fully agree I was just happy we gave City a game at least.......The Arsenal game in March is still one of the most gutless games in Villa history. Even in the relegation season we tried to attack these teams even when we were crap

Brilliant performance in the first 70-odd minutes.  The Coutinho/Buendia substitutions were understandable given the fact that they had both run themselves into the ground.  After going 2-0, it was probably too soon to make the first change, as Coutinho would have been buzzing from his goal and could have gone another ten minutes on pure adrenaline.  Rodri's goal was a direct result of that change in shape by us, as he was getting forward more, knowing he didn't have to keep an eye on Coutinho anymore.  The half-time change from Citeh, then the introduction of Gundogan completely changed the dynamic on that side of the pitch (our right) and Cash/McGinn/Buendia weren't coping, especially after Gundogan came on.  The substitutions changed the game completely - Sterling with an assist, Gundogan with two goals and Rodri exploiting space that Coutinho vacated.

What if:  Martinez had been fit?  He would have probably saved the second goal and certainly got across quicker on the third.

What if: Michael Oliver had been an impartial official?  Fernandinho's foul on Watkins would have been a free-kick and red card.  Rodri's shove into the back of Watkins would have been a penalty.  96 minutes would have been played after TWO Citeh players went down injured after 90 minutes for at least two minutes. 

What if: We had a pair of 50+ cap international attacking players to come off our bench? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I for one am sick to death of hearing "we gave it a good go, should be proud" after a game against one of the top sides, where we yet again come away with zero points.

Fact is, this season, our record against teams in the top 7, top 8 or whatever, is quite frankly pathetic.

And to capitulate like we did today in the space of five minutes? Embarrassing. And we have to wait three months to erase this one from the memory.

Same. I struggle to take any “positives” from that game. It was completely embarrassing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Our vulnerability at back posts is kindergarten stuff......Pep picked up on it.

Just curious...where did he say that? Or are you just speculating (quite reasonably) that he told Gundogan to attack the back post before Gundogan came on?

Such a strange experience watching that. No butterflies or pressure...but a desire to win obviously against the odds. Being part of such an intense spectacle but not really caring about the outcome too much. 

And we played so well for 70 minutes scoring 2 blinders. I was giddy there for a while. 

But then the pathetic disappointment that we've seen so many times. It's really embarrassing. 

I cared but didn't care watching that. I never expected to be up 2-0.

But we were and couldn't win. 

Ah **** it. Some people want next season to start right away. I don't. I need a break.

• Like 1

Said before that i am a harsh critic but we gave City a game today even though we lost. I dont expect to win every week but I want the team to earn the win and this season we rolled over too often vs the alleged big boys

hoping for more next season but I think he is walking a tightrope

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Said before that i am a harsh critic but we gave City a game today even though we lost. I dont expect to win every week but I want the team to earn the win and this season we rolled over too often vs the alleged big boys

hoping for more next season but I think he is walking a tightrope

Eh?

So I think you are saying - we shot above our weight today, (you want us to do better) but Gerrard is walking a tightrope.

Ok?

Whats the change?/better option?

Edited by TheAuthority

Just got to the end of this thread, jeez. That was nothing like the Wolves 2-3. This is what Man City do. Fwiw, I thought we played well in what was essentially for us an end of season dead rubber.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Brilliant performance in the first 70-odd minutes.  The Coutinho/Buendia substitutions were understandable given the fact that they had both run themselves into the ground.  After going 2-0, it was probably too soon to make the first change, as Coutinho would have been buzzing from his goal and could have gone another ten minutes on pure adrenaline.  Rodri's goal was a direct result of that change in shape by us, as he was getting forward more, knowing he didn't have to keep an eye on Coutinho anymore.  The half-time change from Citeh, then the introduction of Gundogan completely changed the dynamic on that side of the pitch (our right) and Cash/McGinn/Buendia weren't coping, especially after Gundogan came on.  The substitutions changed the game completely - Sterling with an assist, Gundogan with two goals and Rodri exploiting space that Coutinho vacated.

What if:  Martinez had been fit?  He would have probably saved the second goal and certainly got across quicker on the third.

What if: Michael Oliver had been an impartial official?  Fernandinho's foul on Watkins would have been a free-kick and red card.  Rodri's shove into the back of Watkins would have been a penalty.  96 minutes would have been played after TWO Citeh players went down injured after 90 minutes for at least two minutes. 

What if: We had a pair of 50+ cap international attacking players to come off our bench? 

Yep, he changed the game.  This is my biggest concern next season with 5 subs.  Teams like City and Liverpool have deep squads, and will basically be able to change half their outfield players, I imagine you'll see a lot of come backs from the big teams next season.

• Like 2

Giving a whole 20 secs extra fit city keeper being injured for 2 mins is a farce. Along with the fernandinho penalty/red card. 

Game went similar to city-madrid, 2-0 and cruising, bring on a cdm, concede 3 in 5 mins. 

They were nervous and shit and we should have been at least 2-0 at half time. Very painful one. Need some backbone in this team as its just a curse, and has been for so long now. 

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Just got to the end of this thread, jeez. That was nothing like the Wolves 2-3. This is what Man City do. Fwiw, I thought we played well in what was essentially for us an end of season dead rubber.

Actually if you look at the stats coming back from a two goal deficit to win is quite rare. Think Man City have only done it a handful of times in the last decade.

Citeh were there for the taking for much of the game and we did make them sweat. For once, we played for the majority of the game rather for just one half and stood toe to toe with one of the big boys. Sadly, once again we folded in the last 15 minutes and having been two ahead after 75 minutes, we really should have taken a minimum of a point from this one. That said, we were not embarrassed, as so many of us feared we would be and our performance for 75 minutes, has shown what we can hope to see from us on a regular basis next season.

I had actually thought that theboyangel had hit it on the nail towards the end of the game, with his Villa win and Wolves draw double forecast on the pre-match thread (which would have paid 151/1). So close..:cheers:

Did anyone else see any similarity between our former captain's celebrations when they were presented with the trophy and those of JT after the Champions League Final in 2012? JT was suspended from the final itself (although he was a regular in the earlier rounds), whilst our former talisman, was not regularly selected for Citeh's league games (including this one). 🤔

We played a great game until about the 70th minute, and it showed what we could be capable of if we can find a way to stop shooting ourselves in both feet and get a little more mental fortitude. 

Both managers changed things with the subs, theirs worked, ours didn't, but then they have about a billion quid's worth of talent sitting on their bench. 

Gerrard wasn't to know that Nakamba would have such a mare - he's been much improved/good under Gerrard thus far, as acknowledged by many on here.  I think it was more changing the shape to try and hold the lead than keep the counter-attacking approach that had worked so well.  That is down to Gerrard.

Olsen wasn't great but I'm not convinced Martinez would have made much difference.  He hasn't exactly been brilliant on low shots from outside the box this season - e.g. Rodri at VP,  a couple from West ham and one from Arsenal.

Michael Oliver was a disgrace for blowing about 20 seconds after the 4 minutes were up when City had players down for at least a minute, maybe more, during the four minutes.  But what were the penalty claims and other bad decisions people are angry about , I don't recall much?

• Like 1

Bottlers, story of our season.

Pathetic coverage from Sky, cutting away to a meaningless Spurs goal while we scored the second.

Three strong substitutions helped them out, never mind, they will be able to make five next year.

Â