Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

First goal - Cash needs to be more aware of Gundogan behind him.

Second goal - Buendia beaten far too easily, and Olsen IMO should be saving that shot.

Third goal - Cash again beaten to it at the far post. Mings' touch wasn't ideal. But it was awkward.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the mentality and strength of character that needs to be worked on. Wstched the 94 and 96 coca cola finals last week and those Villa players were relentless. Guts determination and a load of skill to go with it. Those lot would not have shipped 3 in 5 minutes. They would have gone straight through the opponent and got a yellow and then hit the reset button while the physio was on the pitch putting their leg back together . 

Football has changed a lot since then. A yellow card then would be a straight red now. We gave everything for 70 minutes and the mental and physical fatigue finally took its toll. I don't think it is down to being too soft as you suggest. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the mentality and strength of character that needs to be worked on. Wstched the 94 and 96 coca cola finals last week and those Villa players were relentless. Guts determination and a load of skill to go with it. Those lot would not have shipped 3 in 5 minutes. They would have gone straight through the opponent and got a yellow and then hit the reset button while the physio was on the pitch putting their leg back together . 

Ha, they would against Man City of 2022. They would get absolutely destroyed and never ever be 2-0 up.

Going straight through someone would also get them a red.

It's all stacked massively against the underdog these days. Mings got an immediate yellow with his first foul that was a slight touch on a player's shoulder.

13 hours ago, TomC said:

Just curious...where did he say that? Or are you just speculating (quite reasonably) that he told Gundogan to attack the back post before Gundogan came on?

Just speculating that one of the best managers around, can see our vulnerabilities, like I can.

We can claim they are a great side and they are......but we have done this loads of times.....what they done wasn't world class like the headline makers want.....it was us at our sloppy best again.

Robertson did it in the game at Villa Park, when we was leading for ages 1-0 then he done us at the back post to draw and Mane got the win.

Roy Keane is right, there is a softness about us, despite long periods of good play in  games, 70 odd minutes is our limit without the ball......SG is acutely aware of this and changes are on the way.

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

Such a strange experience watching that. No butterflies or pressure...but a desire to win obviously against the odds. Being part of such an intense spectacle but not really caring about the outcome too much. 

And we played so well for 70 minutes scoring 2 blinders. I was giddy there for a while. 

But then the pathetic disappointment that we've seen so many times. It's really embarrassing. 

I cared but didn't care watching that. I never expected to be up 2-0.

But we were and couldn't win

Ah **** it. Some people want next season to start right away. I don't. I need a break.

Its a feature of this team in its current format.....its happened against lesser teams than Man City.....and its happened at Home too.

Kamara is on the road to fixing it.....I now feel confident we can.....perhaps another midfielder and a dominant centre Back and the offensive players will be more confident on the ball.

The 2 full backs will grow too, with a bit more cover.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa did their best and fell short.

I don't begrudge Man City their league title but what has happened to the fans?

I used to think Blue Moon was the best club song ever, which summed up the trials and tribulations of supporting a middling club, and captured the romance and pathos of being loyal in the face of rare success and serial failure.

By today's evidence their success has killed all that romance and has done nothing but embitter them about their past.

Where there used to be humour and irony, there is just bitterness and entitlement.

They are now everything they used to despise about United - and they call that success.

I don't think so!

It was hilarious how they were sat as though identifying a deceased friends body with the score still at 0-0! Then like the bunch of glory hunting babies they are the disgust and disownership of their team was clear for all to see and as for when we scored the 2nd lol! Then the pathetic gloating and p-taking as soon as they got the third summed up exactly why those kind of plastic fans support "whoever the top team of the moment is". For me it shows a chararcter weakness, the fact they pick those teams even though they live in somewhere like London or Birmingham just highlights that it's purely because they want to be part of the mick taking crew at school or something. They can't handle the idea of losing and being ridiculed, so they pick the team which wins most rather than the logical local club at which they can attend games far easier.

Of course you then have the people who don't understand local loyalty because they don't actually originate form this country. I understand that better and welcome our overseas fans with open arms but if you were brought up here and your family history is UK based I simply can't understand why you would not support your local team? Unless that aforementioned character weakness is prevalent of course.

I am surrounded by Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea fans at work..... in the east Midlands. They are always the ones who gloat and have that entitled attitude. There are also around 4 or 5 Villa fans, several Forest, Leicester & Derby fans and other random ones. Those guys are usually the more genuine fans who actually attend games. The Glory hunters never or very seldom do. Says all you need to know.

• Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 18:01, Django_Zooms said:

Seventy six days to relax, not watching the Villa fail.  Enjoy ice cream, beer and BBQs. And wear sunscreen.

Is that you Baz? 

A bit of context - we are  by no means the only team to collapse from a a dominant position in the face of world class opposition this season.  That includes some other world class teams - City themselves against Real Madrid, PSG also against Real, Villareal against Liverpool, and Real themselves came close to chucking it away against Chelsea.  So I'm not sure we should be all that embarrassed about our  own collapse against arguably the best team/squad on the planet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Actually if you look at the stats coming back from a two goal deficit to win is quite rare. Think Man City have only done it a handful of times in the last decade.

Sorry, my post was a little ambiguous. Didn’t mean City often come back from 0-2, more that they often blow teams away with a quick flurry of goals - one is often followed by two/three/four.

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It was hilarious how they were sat as though identifying a deceased friends body with the score still at 0-0! Then like the bunch of glory hunting babies they are the disgust and disownership of their team was clear for all to see and as for when we scored the 2nd lol! Then the pathetic gloating and p-taking as soon as they got the third summed up exactly why those kind of plastic fans support "whoever the top team of the moment is". For me it shows a chararcter weakness, the fact they pick those teams even though they live in somewhere like London or Birmingham just highlights that it's purely because they want to be part of the mick taking crew at school or something. They can't handle the idea of losing and being ridiculed, so they pick the team which wins most rather than the logical local club at which they can attend games far easier.

Of course you then have the people who don't understand local loyalty because they don't actually originate form this country. I understand that better and welcome our overseas fans with open arms but if you were brought up here and your family history is UK based I simply can't understand why you would not support your local team? Unless that aforementioned character weakness is prevalent of course.

I am surrounded by Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea fans at work..... in the east Midlands. They are always the ones who gloat and have that entitled attitude. There are also around 4 or 5 Villa fans, several Forest, Leicester & Derby fans and other random ones. Those guys are usually the more genuine fans who actually attend games. The Glory hunters never or very seldom do. Says all you need to know.

Post of the year.

• Thanks 1

Taking off Coutinho (straight after he scored!), our most effective ball carrier and retainer (and the main threat to Citeh) and bringing on Nakamba was just asking for trouble and seemed completely unnecessary, particularly with it being the final game of the season... it just invited even more pressure and made us weaker and less capable in possession… but we did so well beforehand and credit is due for that at least, a shame we couldn’t take more chances n the ref was shite (as usual).

Hopefully lessons will be learned, SG is still a relative rookie as manager but I’m sure he and we will improve significantly next season. Looking forward to it, enthused with the signing of Kamara…

Anyway, typical Villa eh?

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 18:07, Keyblade said:

That was horrid to watch. We really gave them that jubilation and elation. Low-key would have preferred to lose 4-0.

Get a life man. That's so sad it's embarrassing. 

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Get a life man. That's so sad it's embarrassing. 

No you're right, gifting them 3 goals in 5 minutes and giving those goofy fans that emotional high was way better than a boring, bog standard 4-0 loss.

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

No you're right, gifting them 3 goals in 5 minutes and giving those goofy fans that emotional high was way better than a boring, bog standard 4-0 loss.

Yes, yes it was.  We had them on the rack for a short period and scored two goals, some of their fans were crying.  We could/should have scored more.  I would take that over a thrashing any day of the week.

I never want Aston Villa to be soundly thrashed by anyone, staggers me anyone would.  Time to get a new interest if you feel that way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, yes it was.  We had them on the rack for a short period and scored two goals, some of their fans were crying.  We could/should have scored more.  I would take that over a thrashing any day of the week.

I never want Aston Villa to be soundly thrashed by anyone, staggers me anyone would.  Time to get a new interest if you feel that way.

I would have wanted to win obviously but we didn't. We had them on the ropes, but we still lost. It's the worst way to go out. A 4-0 loss against City is like a 1-0 loss to anyone else. It's expected by pretty much everyone.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I have no issue with City fans whatsoever because I don’t know any.

Â