Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

Just now, foreveryoung said:

The players he brought on lost that game for us. If they are not good enough what can we do? We needed to make a change.

Although I will say, we was winning the game with the attacking intent, but we wasn't going to keep that intensity up, not a chance. One thing you don't do, is try and park the bus against Man City.

Yes, I remember you saying this a lot last year when discussions on subs came up. 

• Haha 1

A post mortem of today is the natural talking point, but it's irrelevant, in truth. It's dropping points to shit like Watford that trashed our season, not losing to the champions

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A post mortem of today is the natural talking point, but it's irrelevant, in truth. It's dropping points to shit like Watford that trashed our season, not losing to the champions

Still find it weird how they did the double over us, especially when our record against the other teams at the bottom was quite good (6 points against Norwich, 4 against Burnley, 4 against Leeds, 6 against Everton etc).

I like how the Citeh fans booed the hell out of our perceived time wasting. Then at 3-2 up they cranked up the time wasting to the next level.  They even managed to effectively half the stoppage time which the ref of course fell for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Icarium said:

What other word would you use to describe going from 2-0 to 2-3 in the space of 6 minutes

we were 2-0 up against the best team in the league away from home and they needed to win to become champions there is no word to describe that, they are better than us and we were playing above our level, accept it, we are building va squad tor the future and it will take time.

3 hours ago, penguin said:

Yes, yes it was.

If conceding 3 goals in 5 minutes doesn’t constitute a collapse, what does?

Look at the big picture not the score, if you are able to cope with that.

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I like how the Citeh fans booed the hell out of our perceived time wasting. Then at 3-2 up they cranked up the time wasting to the next level.  They even managed to effectively half the stoppage time which the ref of course fell for.

Football fans in hypocrisy shocker

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think the best way we can be described as a football club is embarrassing. We're an embarrassment to football. 

There are 5,300 football clubs in England. Aston Villa, this year, are the 14th best. We’d like them to be better. But you sound like you’ve been drinking all day and just been dumped rather than seen that 14th-best team in the country lose away to the best team in the world.

• Like 1

Coutinho was a threat. He was someone up top who Man City had to worry about so they couldn't send too many players forward. When he went off, we got another quite limited body behind the ball, but for Man City it meant they could completely overload us with no fear of us when the ball went up the other end. 

I felt it was a bad substitution

• Like 3

Didn't mind the Nakamba sub at all.

I disagreed with his brief view on the game, which is quite rare. Usually agree with most of his match analysis.

He mentioned we stopped making passes and went into protection mode...we hardly made a meaningful pass the whole match!

The excellent first goal was near on the only bit of productive play we had the whole first half. Second goal was a hump up and flick on. It was only Doug taking the impotence on that led to the first.

That shape we set up in, is bloody hard to score against. Not the first time we've used it. I don't mind it at all in fixtures like City and Liverpool away, or perhaps holding onto a lead in the odd other game. But that will not see us control games. We will not be able to build play through the pitch. It's not a formation that will see us win matches at home against 80% of sides we play in a season. I hope that's understood by the management.

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa did their best and fell short.

I don't begrudge Man City their league title but what has happened to the fans?

I used to think Blue Moon was the best club song ever, which summed up the trials and tribulations of supporting a middling club, and captured the romance and pathos of being loyal in the face of rare success and serial failure.

By today's evidence their success has killed all that romance and has done nothing but embitter them about their past.

Where there used to be humour and irony, there is just bitterness and entitlement.

They are now everything they used to despise about United - and they call that success.

I don't think so!

It’s not the same group of fans. Most of that bunch on the pitch were teenagers or kids in their 20s. They’ve only known the success. 

• Like 1

Checked the score and got momentarily excited at 2 up and thought maybe we  could get a draw. Sadly reality came along. It was a decent effort but we need to start planning for next year now. I don't  think Purslow's constant improvements involved dropping 10 points and 3 places in a year and finishing behind Brentford and Palace.

City should win the title more easily next year and then bottle the Champions League like they usually do. Liverpool will come second and all the other teams will be largely based on their  salary structure give or take a few over or under achieving clubs. So we should come about 10th, anything less will be another season of underachievement.

And that is why it is the greatest league in the World.

55 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa did their best and fell short.

I don't begrudge Man City their league title but what has happened to the fans?

I used to think Blue Moon was the best club song ever, which summed up the trials and tribulations of supporting a middling club, and captured the romance and pathos of being loyal in the face of rare success and serial failure.

By today's evidence their success has killed all that romance and has done nothing but embitter them about their past.

Where there used to be humour and irony, there is just bitterness and entitlement.

They are now everything they used to despise about United - and they call that success.

I don't think so!

It's kind of not their fault though, as a fanbase. I think they quite liked being an up and down fun club poking fun at man United and all their glory hunters.

It's like newcastle united and its fanbase will be unrecognisable in ten years.

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

If I was Lincoln City playing Real Madrid, I'd still find it unacceptable to concede three goals in less than five minutes. Pathetic and weak, there are no excuses for that regardless of how solid you are for the rest of the game.

What makes it worse is that none of us are really surprised, Villa are a mentally and physically weak team who buckle under the slightest push.

Villa did a Man City. Man City conceded 3 goals at end of their second semi final to lose against Real Madrid. In this case both teams should have been motivated to win. In our case we did not have as much motivation as Man City.

I for one am sick to death of hearing "we gave it a good go, should be proud" after a game against one of the top sides, where we yet again come away with zero points.

Fact is, this season, our record against teams in the top 7, top 8 or whatever, is quite frankly pathetic.

And to capitulate like we did today in the space of five minutes? Embarrassing. And we have to wait three months to erase this one from the memory.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 4

Â