Nottingham Forest

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

If they had stopped at 15 it would have been sensible. Last season they had an incredibly settled side with great momentum by the end of the season. Why they didn't try and keep as much of that together is a mystery as they showed in the FA cup they could dismantle PL teams too. Spence could have been attainable on loan from Spurs, his move there has been a disaster for him. Garner and Davis might not be brilliant but both were settled and crowd favourites. With the resources they have both were very attainable. Cook and Colback were the 2 who don't have the legs for PL football but both could have been grand to have around for experience.

Like at Chelsea I can only imagine how difficult it has been to organise training with such numbers, there is a reason top teams like to have tight squads.

They'd have absolutely tried to sign Spence - Spurs got him and wanted to keep him.  Similar with Garner, he thought he had a shot at getting into Man Utd's midfield.  He was sold to Everton (arguably a bigger pull than Forest?).  They could have kept Davis but deemed he wasn't Premier League quality so tried to improve on that position.

Most of their success was based on loan players plus - as I mentioned - losing the vast majority of their squad otherwise.

18 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Who were these prolific strikers we bought?!

McCormack with his 4-5 goals and endless disruption after consistently hitting 20 + for Fulham in the seasons before.

Hogan had a couple of good seasons at various levels but again about two goals in his first six months before he hit a purple patch halfway through 17/18 before reverting to type.

And as mentioned Ings simply never hit a consistent scoring run here that he did at Burnley and Southampton albeit he was more of a squad player than at those.

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

If they had stopped at 15 it would have been sensible. Last season they had an incredibly settled side with great momentum by the end of the season. Why they didn't try and keep as much of that together is a mystery as they showed in the FA cup they could dismantle PL teams too. Spence could have been attainable on loan from Spurs, his move there has been a disaster for him. Garner and Davis might not be brilliant but both were settled and crowd favourites. With the resources they have both were very attainable. Cook and Colback were the 2 who don't have the legs for PL football but both could have been grand to have around for experience.

Like at Chelsea I can only imagine how difficult it has been to organise training with such numbers, there is a reason top teams like to have tight squads.

Yes I liked the midfield they had. Zinckernagel lwas another who they deemed not good enough for prem and he went off to Olympiakos. Should've pushed harder for Joe Garner given he then ended up at Everton although been largely injured this season.

• 1 month later...

To Forest's credit, they stuck with their manager, unlike Leeds & Leicester & Everton. And their owner risked all, to sign so many players, despite the high risk if they went down. And Nottingham is a great city for nights out.

• Like 4

Good on them. They have a good manager and to the credit of their owner they stuck with Cooper. Still think they will be one of the favourites to go down next year but who knows.

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

And Forest conclusively proved that Jesse Lingard is an absolute @#£&+!

luckily it was only a 12 month deal, so they can eject him from a cannon now.

Fair play to them. Been slagging off endlessly all season for signing a million players but it all clicked for them at crucial time and they actually have a decent spine now formulating IF they calm down and find 2-3 high quality players this summer.

City Ground in amazing voice yet again to drag them all over the line so that's where they add value to premier league.

Arsenal title race similar to us in the first prem season. Gap will probably end up being 10 points which will give a deceiving look to how the title race went for first 8 months of the season.

Saka barely been seen over the last month so that's a big reason why they fell away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Strog said:

Good on them. They have a good manager and to the credit of their owner they stuck with Cooper. Still think they will be one of the favourites to go down next year but who knows.

I think next year thw bottom of the table will be very open. Forest Bournmouth palace burnley sheff utd and eithe r Coventry/luton

It's going to be very interesting down there

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

when was the last time all 3 promoted sides stayed up? (Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest - this year).

2011, Swansea QPR and Norwich stayed up

Before that it was 2001 with Fulham Blackburn and bolton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Strog said:

Their home record has been very strong this year so that's similar building block to what Stoke had for many years.

There's a decent spine in place now. Navas and Felipe showed their vast experience in run in so big boost if they can get those two signed up full time. Had my doubts on Gibbs White but he's been tremendous since the World cup with excellent ball carrying and leadership. Anwonyi got scoring at crucial part of the season so they need to keep him fit and they have a goalscorer.

Actually think Burnley will be o.k but Sheffield United got money issues so won't sign much and play off winner will be very weak so Forest should have more comfortable season next year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Glad to see they stayed up and they kept faith in cooper 

Yeah, I don't have much love for the club particularly - though I don't hate them either, just don't care really - but I quite like Cooper and he's demonstrated they did the right thing not sacking him (though clearly they came close!). 

As @VillaChris says there's a decent spine of a team forming, so if they can get rid of deadweight from the wage bill, keep hold of at least 2 out of Johnson, Awoniyi and Gibbs-White, and add a bit more quality in other areas, they could be looking to finish higher next season. 

56 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

2011, Swansea QPR and Norwich stayed up

Before that it was 2001 with Fulham Blackburn and bolton

Also just read that 2018 Newcastle Huddersfield and Brighton did it 

• Like 1

Â