Pre Match thread 2

MrBlack

Please merge with the locked one if its more appropriate to reopen that...

Would absolutely love SG to rotate the starting line up for this game. 

Buendia, of course.... but I'm talking about the likes of Sanson, Traore, Iroe, or Chuk all given a chance to demonstrate where they are in the pecking order. Chance to win a place for the Man City game, that looks like it will take on a huge level of significance.

Ramsey hopefully fit enough to start, and could line up something like this:

Watkins

Buendia  Traoré

JJ  Iroegbunam Sanson

Digne  Mings  Konsa  Cash

Martinez  

Possibly too attacking, but would be worth it so he can make a fair call on whether Traoré and Sanson should be kept. As it stands, I feel like selling either of those at the end of this season is going to see us getting less than their worth, and not having even given them a chance in the new setup.

Traoré has played all around the front line in his career, I'm sure he could handle a more central role.

Palace would have been a better game to do this, but if they can't handle Burnley then probably as good an indicator as we need.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Please merge with the locked one if its more appropriate to reopen that...

Would absolutely love SG to rotate the starting line up for this game. 

Buendia, of course.... but I'm talking about the likes of Sanson, Traore, Iroe, or Chuk all given a chance to demonstrate where they are in the pecking order. Chance to win a place for the Man City game, that looks like it will take on a huge level of significance.

Ramsey hopefully fit enough to start, and could line up something like this:

Watkins

Buendia  Traoré

JJ  Iroegbunam Sanson

Digne  Mings  Konsa  Cash

Martinez  

Possibly too attacking, but would be worth it so he can make a fair call on whether Traoré and Sanson should be kept. As it stands, I feel like selling either of those at the end of this season is going to see us getting less than their worth, and not having even given them a chance in the new setup.

Traoré has played all around the front line in his career, I'm sure he could handle a more central role.

Palace would have been a better game to do this, but if they can't handle Burnley then probably as good an indicator as we need.

Maybe Chukwuemeka alongside Buendia instead of Traore?  Isn't Konsa injured?

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Maybe Chukwuemeka alongside Buendia instead of Traore?  Isn't Konsa injured?

I know Chambers replaced him, so if he is then Chambers instead is more than with me.

I'd also be OK with Chuk instead of Traoré, as long as we think it will help him sign a contract... just want the team to be different!

Our chance to record our first league double over them since 1925/26. It may well be a long time until we get another opportunity. Will we still be on the beech, one thing for sure is that they won't be. Let's win this one for Wesley, it most likely won't be as big a win as it was in 1925, when we beat them 10-0, but it's likely to hurt just as much. That said, I bear their fans no great animosity and they did give us Tony Morley and Andy Lochhead, so should they still stay up rather than Everton or Leeds, I will try to get over it. ;)

We still have a responsibility towards the credibility of the seasons finale though. This is anything but a dead rubber. A lot riding on this regarding who goes down. If we approach the game with an overly casual attitude, it would I think reflect badly on us. Besides, it would be nice to finish our home fixtures with a good performance and win.

Throw it and send Leeds down 😬

In all honesty, I’d have a bit of a change around where possible ahead of the Man City game a few days later. 

Martinez

Cash.Chambers.Mings.Digne

Sanson.Nakamba.Chukwuemeka

Buendia.Traore

Ings

Edited by theboyangel

However much we may want to send Neverton or Leeds down, for the integrity of the league we have to take this match seriously and put in as strong a performance as we can.

A dominant performance and good win will at least mean we finish our last home game with a positive result, which the fans deserve after another campaign where our home form has been well below par.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

However much we may want to send Neverton or Leeds down, for the integrity of the league we have to take this match seriously and put in as strong a performance as we can.

A dominant performance and good win will at least mean we finish our last home game with a positive result, which the fans deserve after another campaign where our home form has been well below par.

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

We still have a responsibility towards the credibility of the seasons finale though. This is anything but a dead rubber. A lot riding on this regarding who goes down. If we approach the game with an overly casual attitude, it would I think reflect badly on us. Besides, it would be nice to finish our home fixtures with a good performance and win.

They're registered players and I honestly think they'd do as good a job as McGinn and others have been doing of late.

Not to mention, we probably want to rest some of our "first choice" for the last game of the season that decides who wins the league. 3 games in 7 days would mean  a need to rest some.  The bottom end of the table teams can still resolve their troubles after we've played Burnley. 

Admired Burnley’s hustle these last few years but i hope we send them down. They’ve to repay 40 million of the debt the owners took out to buy the club if they go down. They’ll fade into mid table championship obscurity and they won’t be back for a very long time. 

Feeling we are gonna see Sanson, Traore, Carney, start Thursday. Gerrard won’t openly admit it but he wants to do his best for Liverpool on Sunday. We have good squad depth though and i wouldn’t mind seeing lads get a go on Thursday 

• Like 1

We still have a sliver of hope of finishing top half.

My ideal scenario would be to smash and grab this one, and then win against Emptihads through a controversial penalty awarded to Aston Villa, handing the title to Plop, and unleashing a waterfall of salty tears from their 563 fans who bother to watch the game.

I admit I am dreaming though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ said:

We still have a sliver of hope of finishing top half.

My ideal scenario would be to smash and grab this one, and then win against Emptihads through a controversial penalty awarded to Aston Villa, handing the title to Plop, and unleashing a waterfall of salty tears from their 563 fans who bother to watch the game.

I admit I am dreaming though.

I want us to beat Man City but then see Liverpool lose out on the title on goal difference 😂

• Like 2

Referee: Paul Tierney.
Assistants: Lee Betts, Simon Long. 
Fourth official: Craig Pawson.
VAR: John Brooks.
Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Somehow this is Paul Tierney's first Villa game of the season. Make it a good one Paul :thumb:

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Feeling we are gonna see Sanson, Traore, Carney, start Thursday. Gerrard won’t openly admit it but he wants to do his best for Liverpool on Sunday. We have good squad depth though and i wouldn’t mind seeing lads get a go on Thursday 

No. It'll be same subs same 11. If anything Ings will be the only unforced change to make way and that's it.