vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

People will argue it's just pre-season, and that any criticism is an overreaction. 

SG had won me over and I was all in with being optimistic.

We look absolute dogs breakfast and it's depressing to watch.

I cannot believe there is a switch we can flick in 2 weeks and suddenly everything will be ok...

I've always hated the way some just dismiss pre season as its just a chance for players to run around and build fitness. 

• Like 1

It's strange cos if you look at the team we've built over the past couple of years, in my mind it's crying out for either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Really don't understand the persistence with trying what we're trying. 

• Like 1

Just now, AV82 said:

How can you compare Bruce when he had an entirely different team? You're pitching Smith vs. Gerrard who aren't exactly widely regarded as master tacticians. They're motivators and it's not enough at this level.

I'm not comparing. It's an illustration to argue that our midfields are always shit regardless or personnel or who coaches them.

Go on though, let's say it's all the manager's fault, who would you put in charge tomorrow that would definitely take the Villa job?

So yes I know it's a friendly but:

Ball retention is no better 

No movement off the ball 

The formation is easy to stop. Push out wing backs back, equals no width. Why can't the management see this?

Ings and Watkins. Together still not right. 

Based on all of the above we won't improve on last season. Same mistakes and issues.

• Like 2

I said Gerrard will be out by Christmas last weekend...  Might be out by October by this point...  Pathetic all around.  Not counting all the big money signings, he hasn't improved us a bit from Smith.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Icarium said:

I know you shouldn't read too much into friendlies, but this is depressingly familiar

Yep. Whats suddenly going to click in a few weeks time? 

This doesn't look like fitness issues. It just seems all the same problems last season displayed. 

• Like 1

I said our midfield would get overrun by United. We are miles off from the top 6 sides. My concern is that Gerrard and his backroom staff don't work on intricate passing.

If you see some of the Utd and Ten Haag training sessions you can see what he is trying to implement.

Slightly worrying and yet not at all surprising.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Who is missing for you?

You can maybe make a case for Buendia or Luiz, but this is pretty close to our best eleven and I think the manager thinks this is our best side right now.

I absolutely hate playing Ings and Watkins together, you give up too much out of possession and even when we have the ball we can't play through them because the gaps are so big between the back and front.

At least two of Luiz/Buendia/Bailey need to play and go to 1 up front.

• Like 2

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

MUTV commentator saying he's been disappointed with villa, he thought we would be the sternest test of preseason but not looked like that at all

They would get a sterner test from a few bags of wet cement, mind you the cement would have defended better

Wasn't great - the back four and keeper don't look too bad - but there's no protection for them from runners, which is exactly the way United play - Kamara can't track three.

Cash I thought was good, Ings did okay, but Coutinho has misfired so far in pre-season and Watkins seems to have lost any confidence in his touch, McGinn is working hard and Ramsey shows occasional flashes, but playing both is messing us up.

It's pre-season, it's not a disaster, but I think the manager needs to learn some things from that half.

Â