Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

maqroll

Coutinho: Sign or Decline?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

• Sign
    • Decline

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:34

Positives: his Villa stats are comparable with his previous clubs.

Negatives: hugely expensive in terms of the fee plus his wages.

Conclusion: only sign him if doing so doesn't prohibit the essential strengthening desparately needed elsewhere on the pitch.

• Like 1

100% sign.

The games he's been good (majority of the games) he's either gotten goals/assists or been horribly let down by poor finishing (looking at you Spurs and Leicester games recently).

With better players around him he is a massive asset. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure Arsenal want a striker this summer as the big signing and just dont see them paying big money for Coutinho 

It will be either us or Newcastle that will sign him or back to Barcelona. Only Newcastle will try pay what he is currently on and his agent will be wanting that 

They'll definitely want a striker for sure. But some quality cover for the wingers will also be needed if they want to take the CL seriously.

I'm not saying Coutinho 100% but there would be some good reasoning behind it. They'll sign a wide player imo. Or at the very least a younger version of Lacazette who can play wide or as a Second Striker too.

Jonathan David would be a good buy for them

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What more clinical strikers out there can we get I'm wondering? If we didn't have Ings, if you were to put your money on any striker in the league finishing that chance on the half volley, Danny Ings would have been right up there with Kane and Salah as picks. We basically have done to him what we complain about City doing to Grealish. Just completely neutered him.

Maybe time to look at a Belotti if none of the big ones in Italy want him anymore? Very good penalty box predator and surely won't cost as much as a few years back.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe time to look at a Belotti if none of the big ones in Italy want him anymore? Very good penalty box predator and surely won't cost as much as a few years back.

He is on a Bosman and been linked to Toronto Italian connection and to Milan his boyhood team

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

He is on a Bosman and been linked to Toronto Italian connection and to Milan his boyhood team

Torino messed up a bit there...could've sold him for about 70m 2-3 years ago given his scoring rate. Possibly someone West Ham or Newcastle would look at aswell.

We'd probably be fools not to sign him, but, if we do, I think we're going to regret not getting the most out of Buendía. I'd hate for him to move on and shine with a different club, which he inevitably will (knowing us).

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

hugely expensive in terms of the fee plus his wages.

Is it? The fee rumoured to be just above £30m seems reasonable for a talent.  His wages if as rumoured would be £150k a week, while high for us, if we are looking at top six level is fairly standard wage.  Contract length is questionable but other than that we are either wanting to move to the next or we don’t.  If those are finances it’s not hugely expensive.

2 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I think we'd probably be fools not to, but, if we do, I think we're going to regret not getting the most out of Buendía. I'd hate it if he moves on and shines with a different club, which he inevitably will (knowing us).

Why would we sell Buendia? we need options and I doubt he’s looking to move just yet despite recent low minutes.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Is it? The fee rumoured to be just above £30m seems reasonable for a talent.  His wages if as rumoured would be £150k a week, while high for us, if we are looking at top six level is fairly standard wage.  Contract length is questionable but other than that we are either wanting to move to the next or we don’t.  If those are finances it’s not hugely expensive.

Yes but thats his loan wages. He is missing about 200k a week that his agent will want. Its a lot to give up

Unless Barcelona stump it up then we will have to pay it

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why would we sell Buendia? we need options and I doubt he’s looking to move just yet despite recent low minutes.

Its a World Cup year and he is on the fringe of the squad 

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why would we sell him? we need options and I doubt he’s looking to move just yet despite recent low minutes.

I didn't mean we'll sell him this summer. My concern was that we sign Coutinho, don't give Buendía enough game time, and then Buendía moves on (maybe in a season or so) to a club who'll give him a first-team place.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Yes but thats his loan wages. He is missing about 200k a week that his agent will want. Its a lot to give up

Unless Barcelona stump it up then we will have to pay it

Are you sure? I always believed from what I saw reading that when he went onto sign a perm deal with us it wouldn’t be much different from his loan wages because he knew he couldn’t get his Barca wages anywhere else so is looking for the right move and not just for money.  Yes loses 1 year high salary but was willing to sacrifice that.  Pretty sure that he wasn’t looking to recoup that difference in signing any perm deal.

Very difficult to call tbf - posters have laid out the arguments for and against, and they're both solid positions to take. 

I'm with @JAMAICAN-VILLAN on this, though, and it really just boils down to how much we're talking when it comes to his wages etc. What impact would it have on our budget? Would it mean we have to scrimp elsewhere in signings? 

Like many others - Sign....IF the financials work.

He would be the sort of statement signing we need; he's had half a season to bed in, and on his day is quality.

But not at any price.

Keep him if money is very sensible but it won't be so get rid ..... rather spend the money on a very good player who is going to get better. Phil is at his peak and that peak will drop over seasons ahead.

Â