Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

maqroll

Coutinho: Sign or Decline?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

• Sign
    • Decline

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:34

If we're confident he's all in even if Gerrard goes, sign (providing it's not stupid financially). Otherwise nay. 

Another season long loan would be grand 😏

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Sign.

If we want to mix it with the big boys we need big boy players and pay big boy wages. 

Decline and you are confirming that we are happy to be also rans. 

This.

I'd still rather play Buendia over him as he appears to be more consistent. But just having him in the squad/team is huge. 

• Like 1

I'm fully on the fence with this one. I agree with both arguments. Really tough call, but it's probably a moot point. They'll sign him if they can. 

• Like 3

100% decline, the fee and wage isn't worth it.

He hasn't impressed even during his purple patch at the start he wasn't involved in play much just the old magic giving him output.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Only Villatalk would turn their noses up at signing Phil Coutinho 😂😂

So you have been impressed with him? If you have you aren't watching the same game as me....

The money is insane as well. If you pay him just half of what he currently earns and the fee they want that is 65m over 3 years for someone worth nothing in 3 years.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

100% decline, the fee and wage isn't worth it.

He hasn't impressed even during his purple patch at the start he wasn't involved in play much just the old magic giving him output.

This is where you lost me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Voted 'decline' as that's where I feel the realistic answer should be but it's far more nuanced than that really.

Finances obviously play a massive part. If it's him or investments in multiple other areas then decline. If the deal allows for plenty of other signings then sign.

Then there's Gerrard. If he's going down the 'he's my mate and will always play' route, then I'm also decline. If he's been guaranteeing him a spot lately to convince him to sign/check him out and will use him properly then sign.

Then there's Villa. If it's a statement signing then go for it. If it's a sign you're mugs and buying names for inflated prices and.wages then it sets a bad example.

I think, analysing it all, he's going to cost so much.it hinders squad development, I think his mate Gerrard will sacrifice the team to keep him involved and I think it sets a bad example to other clubs and players about the kind of players we'll sign and on ridiculous wages for fairly minimal output. And no sell on.

So, I settle on decline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is where you lost me.

It was the odd moment of magic in the game that gave him an assist or goal..... that's great but he was hardly involved in the game, it is like playing with 10 men.

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It was the odd moment of magic in the game that gave him an assist or goal..... that's great but he was hardly involved in the game, it is like playing with 10 men.

Mate, i'm on the fence, but ONLY due to the money, and probably how it will affect players behind him.

If we are talking actual games, sorry but I have to call BS.

I've watched him take out 4 - 5 players in one move at times.

I watched him single handedly thread killer passes through backlines only waiting for a finish.

I've watched him dominate games.

I've also seen him be quiet when the overall team is shit, but to try and downplay his brilliance and impact he can have on games is madness IMO

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, i'm on the fence, but ONLY due to the money, and probably how it will affect players behind him.

If we are talking actual games, sorry but I have to call BS.

I've watched him take out 4 - 5 players in one move at times.

I watched him single handedly thread killer passes through backlines only waiting for a finish.

I've watched him dominate games.

I've also seen him be quiet when the overall team is shit, but to try and downplay his brilliance and impact he can have on games is madness IMO

ive seen him do next to nothing in the last 5 games

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So you have been impressed with him? If you have you aren't watching the same game as me....

The money is insane as well. If you pay him just half of what he currently earns and the fee they want that is 65m over 3 years for someone worth nothing in 3 years.

Yes I have been impressed, I can see why some favour Buendia because he runs around alot and is aggressive a bit of Fredric Guilbert syndrome, not that I dislike Buendia I like him and he has potential to be a big player for us after some polishing on his end product, Coutinho has double the assist and goals in half the amount of games, has his form dropped off recently? Yes the team as a whole has dropped off and it’s not like he isn’t creating chances. Created more than enough vs Norwich but nobody was there to net them, when Ollie score he was busting his gut to the far post.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes I have been impressed, I can see why some favour Buendia because he runs around alot and is aggressive a bit of Fredric Guilbert syndrome, not that I dislike Buendia I like him and he has potential to be a big player for us after some polishing on his end product, Coutinho has double the assist and goals in half the amount of games, has his form dropped off recently? Yes the team as a whole has dropped off and it’s not like he isn’t creating chances.

It's alright most people disagree with me these days 😶

When he's at his best, he's the best player we have. He may be a little inconsistent, but name somebody in our squad who hasn't been this year. (Even Martinez has been a little off on a few days.)

The only question in my mind is how you fit him and Buendia in the same side. 4-3-2-1 doesn't seem to work. I'd like to go back to 4-2-3-1 (assuming we have the right midfielders for the 2), with Coutinho-Ings-Bueni in the 3 behind Watkins or a new striker, but I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 2

I am on the fence, when he is good he is really good but when he is bad he is very anonymous. I think he has maybe 4 good games and 2 good halfs from the 14 games he has played so far

Our poor form has coincided with him becoming a regular starter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Voted 'decline' as that's where I feel the realistic answer should be but it's far more nuanced than that really.

Finances obviously play a massive part. If it's him or investments in multiple other areas then decline. If the deal allows for plenty of other signings then sign.

Then there's Gerrard. If he's going down the 'he's my mate and will always play' route, then I'm also decline. If he's been guaranteeing him a spot lately to convince him to sign/check him out and will use him properly then sign.

Then there's Villa. If it's a statement signing then go for it. If it's a sign you're mugs and buying names for inflated prices and.wages then it sets a bad example.

I think, analysing it all, he's going to cost so much.it hinders squad development, I think his mate Gerrard will sacrifice the team to keep him involved and I think it sets a bad example to other clubs and players about the kind of players we'll sign and on ridiculous wages for fairly minimal output. And no sell on.

So, I settle on decline.

I'm sure we'll be able to sign a DM aswell as Coutinho this summer, not sure where this either/or stuff has come from.

Fair points on the others, would like to see Buendia tested as an 8 pre season (instead of McGinn just starting every single second of every game) and see how he gets on so that could be one way of getting both into the team effectively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I am on the fence, when he is good he is really good but when he is bad he is very anonymous. I think he has maybe 4 good games and 2 good halfs from the 14 games he has played so far

Our poor form has coincided with him becoming a regular starter

He played well in that mini run of wins we had v Brighton, Southampton (should've had a hat trick) and Leeds so that's the template for hopefully more consistency next season. Was also great first half v Spurs before the team imploded.

He'd look better if we had a clinical CF, think of that chipped free kick v Spurs that caught them out but Ings sadly miskicked from six yards.

• Like 1

Â