Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

maqroll

Coutinho: Sign or Decline?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

• Sign
    • Decline

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:34

13 hours ago, BOF said:

He will probably severely hamper our spending power in other areas by tying up wages and transfer fee in a position that doesn't need strengthening, so it could be argued that by owning him, our overall team next season is worse. Do you get your #1 choice DCM and your #1 choice CF etc etc.

On the other hand, does it make easier to attract your first choice DCM and CF if you have Coutinho around? Does it say "ambition"? Will he (together with Dougie) say good things to help recruit high level Brazilians?

I suppose his effect on recruiting depends on whether your targets are more interested in winning (in which case keeping Coutinho helps) or big wages (in which case keeping him hurts).

• Like 2

I think its worth noting that per 90 minutes Coutinho gives us the equal most goals AND assists throughout the entire squad. Only Watkins is equal in goals per 90 minutes. 

This isn't something we should overlook when considering Coutinho. He was Liverpool's top goal scorer, and also a top creator, in 2016/17 with 13 goals and 7 assists to his name.

For Brazil he has 3 goals in his last six outings.

I don't know if we can really say with any real confidence that without Coutinho we could rely on the individual talent or team cohesion and chemistry to get us the results we did that have enabled us to continue building towards ascending next season.

4 goals and 3 assists in 14 is stand out contribution in any team. Then you add his knack for dribbling, his ability to occupy territory that makes us a threat, his nous for bringing opposition over to him and then crafting space for himself or the team by his touch or releasing passes for others. And the man can shoot it pinpoint to a bullseye, even from range.

I think we underestimate how hard it is to replace him.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

The guy obviously has a touch of world class ability about him but in practical terms I can see why he didn't make it at Barcelona.  To be a top team these days you need 10 outfield players all with good technique but also all working their socks off with and without the ball.  Coutinho doesn't do that, he's a bit of a passenger whenever we don't have the ball, and especially away from home.  Buendia offers far more of an all round game. 

I was talking with an old colleague who is a long standing Arsenal fan and when he asked me what I though about Coutinho, my responses, as above, prompted him to say it sounded like their Mesut Ozil situation.  We all know how that ended even though they got some brilliant moments from him.  For me it might be worth signing him as a big name who might help us attract some others, but I'm not convinced..

2 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I was talking with an old colleague who is a long standing Arsenal fan

You lost my interest after that 😉😂

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Sign (but also go back to 4-2-3-1 and play Phil as the 10). Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, with two holders behind them.

YES!

I also think Ramsey could play off the left. He has the pace, power and running ability with the ball to play in that position and with both Buendia and Ramsey out wide (ish), they'll also work extremely hard.

I think 2 new defensive midfielders behind those three would be a really effective side. You could then perhaps bring in someone like Madueke to compete for a place. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Sign (but also go back to 4-2-3-1 and play Phil as the 10). Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, with two holders behind them.

I think the issue with this is not enough pace / runners in behind - too reliant on an isolated Watkins

6 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I think the issue with this is not enough pace / runners in behind - too reliant on an isolated Watkins

We’ve already got the fastest wide forward in the league, if he can play himself into a starting shirt.

Â