Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

maqroll

Coutinho: Sign or Decline?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Coutinho: Sign or Decline?

• Sign
    • Decline

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:34

I’m not so sure, tending towards decline.

We could (theoretically) have two Buendia level players for what he would cost.

Saying that, we wouldn’t be able to play those two in Coutinho’s place, so strong team, or strong squad seems to be either choice.

Edited by Mister_a
  • Like 1

Conditional sign.

Bring in 1 (or even better 2 quality 8s)

Sort out fb/wb cover (if guilbert and targett move on) 

If the budget allows after that, then yes, sign him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He played well in that mini run of wins we had v Brighton, Southampton (should've had a hat trick) and Leeds so that's the template for hopefully more consistency next season. Was also great first half v Spurs before the team imploded.

He'd look better if we had a clinical CF, think of that chipped free kick v Spurs that caught them out but Ings sadly miskicked from six yards.

What more clinical strikers out there can we get I'm wondering? If we didn't have Ings, if you were to put your money on any striker in the league finishing that chance on the half volley, Danny Ings would have been right up there with Kane and Salah as picks. We basically have done to him what we complain about City doing to Grealish. Just completely neutered him.

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What more clinical strikers out there can we get I'm wondering? If we didn't have Ings, if you were to put your money on any striker in the league finishing that chance on the half volley, Danny Ings would have been right up there with Kane and Salah as picks. We basically have done to him what we complain about City doing to Grealish. Just completely neutered him.

Origi.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Obvious sign. Quality player on his day. Rarely has his day as we have a midfield that is useless and bypassed every game. Any attacking player in the world would struggle with the way we play. Slow down play, allow players to get back then either lose the ball in midfield or vaguely bash it to/at the front three is not going to unlock his skills. If we attacked with any kind of pace from midfield he’d be cooking. Definitely sign and improve the midfield, then watch him shine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he's worth signing on a short contract (2-year or maybe 3 tops) and on a reasonable wage (£150K per week). He would help attract other top quality players here and on a short-term deal we wouldn't be lumbered with him well into his 30s picking up a big salary. 

My main concern is he would mainly be here because of Gerrard and so far Gerrard's management has been underwhelming and if that continues into next season and we see another change of manager because results aren't good enough then we are stuck with an unhappy Coutinho who doesn't want to be here. 

We also need to strengthen other parts of the team to make Coutinho work - notably CM and CB and maybe a ST if we move one of Ings or Watkins on. I think Coutinho and Buendia can both play together but Gerrard needs to change the formation to accommodate this because in a 4-3-2-1 it doesn't work. My personal preference would be to see Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey all shine behind a striker and two midfielders come in this summer which allows us to play all those attacking players at once. 

Let's see Arsenal and Newcastle would be interested if we didn't sign him, but we have first refusal, so 110% we sign him, assuming that he will be happy to join us. Imagine the signals a decision not to take up the option would send out to other players we were looking to sign this summer....

• Like 1

Sign. I have seen enough already  to see he is quality. Important to get him playing with Buendia though.

Most important reason of all though is....  I bought his shirt. I would like more from it than a short loan spell :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Let's see Arsenal and Newcastle would be interested if we didn't sign him, but we have first refusal, so 110% we sign him, assuming that he will be happy to join us. Imagine the signals a decision not to take up the option would send out to other players we were looking to sign this summer....

I dont think Arsenal would be interested, they sign younger players now and have Odegaard and Smith Roee. Same for Spurs, Conte doesn't play a no. 10

Decline.

Couldn't care less about 'making a statement'. I'd rather see Buendia play much more, and Coutinho's age is a big factor for me.

Edited by Tom13

I’m tipping towards the decline ( which sounds like madness in my own head ! Global superstar at Villa etc), reasons being , overall cost inc wages for an ageing player and lack of development / game time for Buendia whom in my opinion will not hang around if this signing is made 

It’s a real tough one.

I think a lot depends on how Gerrard wants to set us up (I’m still not sure) and if he wants to utilise two central attacking midfielders.

If he does, then we should sign him. He’s still a statement signing and, if he can play alongside Buendia, we’d have a very potent attacking threat from behind the striker.

If we’re likely to play one attacking midfielder, I’d probably rather we didn’t sign him. Buendia is class and cost a lot of money - we could spend the funds elsewhere on the squad (centre back, centre mid) rather than getting another top class player in an already-filled position.

We were blessed and fortunate to be able to bring him in when we did. Losing Grealish could have been a lot more detrimental to our season if we didn't bring in Coutinho. 

Now we are at a point whereby if we stay up, which we will, then recruitment is going to be a lot kinder to us, and we can possibly sign the talent necessary to take us closer to challenging at the top end of the table.

However I would think it almost naive to decline the opportunity to sign Phil. He's world class on his day, and he's by no means an egotistical trouble maker, quite the opposite. Not only are others going to see his talent on our roster and want to be a part of it, when they get here, Phil is the type of guy who will make it work with them as best he can as opposed to making it difficult.

We are going to need players who possess both the quality of talent and attitude to get us above and beyond being average in this league.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Arsenal would be interested, they sign younger players now and have Odegaard and Smith Roee. Same for Spurs, Conte doesn't play a no. 10

More games next year for Arsenal though in the Champions League. They'll need more depth.

ESR, Saka and Martinelli play their wide roles but they don't have a lot of depth. Ødegaard may sometimes go right but he's mostly as a number 10. Pepe/ESR are their bench options at the moment. They'll need at least one more.

They need a lot of depth with them going into the Champions League too. I think a touch of experience would be ideal for them. 

They mostly went young because of how much of a toxic disaster their experienced players were. So they backed the youth as they moved on their older players and whilst they couldn't attract the quality they needed in new signings. They'll go for more of a mix now I think.

Edited by HalfTimePost

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

More games next year for Arsenal though in the Champions League. They'll need more depth.

ESR, Saka and Martinelli play their wide roles but they don't have a lot of depth. Ødegaard may sometimes go right but he's mostly as a number 10. Pepe/ESR are their bench options at the moment. They'll need at least one more.

They need a lot of depth with them going into the Champions League too. I think a touch of experience would be ideal for them. 

They mostly went young because of how much of a toxic disaster their experienced players were. So they backed the youth as they moved on their older players and whilst they couldn't attract the quality they needed in new signings. They'll go for more of a mix now I think.

Pretty sure Arsenal want a striker this summer as the big signing and just dont see them paying big money for Coutinho 

It will be either us or Newcastle that will sign him or back to Barcelona. Only Newcastle will try pay what he is currently on and his agent will be wanting that 

Â